Buy the trip insurance - because sometimes life really does suck!

umograd83

I got sick and we had to cancel my birthday/anniversary cruise last year.

At that point I was glad that I was in the hospital instead of sick on a ship.

The insurance paid back everything except the cost of the insurance.

I had pneumonia on the Emerald Princess last month. I spent the last 46 hours of the cruise in the cabin, in bed, feeling horribly sick and disappointed. It would have probably been better to have gotten sick a few days earlier and cancelled.

I have always purchased the insurance that Carnival offers. We have never needed to use it for any reason. Until this year. We were booked for the 13-day Journey cruise departing on the Sunshine February 21st 2016. On 02/15, DH came down with flu like symptoms, on 02/18 I took him to the doctors and he was diagnosed with Viral Intestinal Infection, (AKA NORIVIRIS):eek: On 02/19 I had to call and cancel our cruise, airfare and 3 hotels. The airline of course was non-refundable; (I could complete a change for each ticket that would cost me $200.00 per ticket then I had to use the modified ticket by 04/24/2016) I did not even bother with the change. I also was charged for two of the hotels because I did not cancel within the cancellation period.

When I called Carnival, I was provided with the number for the insurance company and was told by the agent at Carnival to add my airfare and hotels to the claim. This was confirmed again by the agent I spoke to at Aon Affinity.

I sent all supporting documents to the insurance company on Tuesday and today I received an email stating that they had received them. If any additional information is needed they will contact me. I was told when I called them on 02/19 that it would be about three weeks after the documents were received for my claim to be settled.

I have already received a credit on my credit card from Carnival for the taxes, and port expenses. Plus, a credit for the bottled water I ordered through carnival. I post an update as soon as my claim has been settled.

Make sure that when you file your claim you include your airfare, hotels, etc. All of your travel expenses that are non-refundable.

Good Luck

Always buy insurance. My Dad went to the hospital, not feeling well, the week before we left. He died the day we were supposed to leave.

So sorry to hear that.:( That was the initial reason we finally started getting cruise ins. as my dad is 85 and in bad health. So glad we did. My husband fell, due to water puddle by a water slide. Ended up having 45K surgery. Could not work for over 3 months. Do I recommend Carnival's insurance? Not really. But, find trying to do it differently, hard to understand. So, we just keep on getting Carnival's. Just a heads up to anyone that this may benefit, the ship doctor is contract labor. If he/she gives a bad diagnosis, Carnival is not responsible.

I think good and perhaps often better than Carnival options have been mentioned in thread.....now while not overwhelmed for those not claiming and just reading...it may be good to check out for next time. Mock looking..lol.

I am glad Carnival is proving to be good for OP and other poster who will get back to us and thank you. Op so sorry....and those with loss also sorry.

My dad just got back from a trip and now I, through my sis who gets better rapport on some issues, am giving them the above references. I found the .com one very easy to sort out for better than Carnival for myself on a 5 day.

I was so worried about my dad if he had an emergency and if he had been covered for a life flight. I am not sure about it and now can ask and not hang crepe...or "jinx" him but he will have the number from now on.

Feel better soon OP and thanks for sharing..you will get all or most refunded and can relax, have one to look forward to and are very kind to help folks out here with the reminder.....nothing like being covered. And the extra life flight stuff and medical over and above your health insurance.....so worth it.

Edited by sjn911