Breakaway - Happy Thoughts!!

Suze10860

OK - I just read a thread that made me very very happy. It was the one asking for advice/not to miss stuff on the Breakaway. It was so darn nice to read what people were saying.

Here's my story (I've sort of posted most of this before.) I'm currently on the hunt for an upsell. I've gotten 2 emails, but so far it's still just a little out of my price range. Although I absolutely have not given up, I'm going on the assumption that we'll be sailing in our Mini Suite with Large Balcony as originally planned. It's fine.

The only problem is I've spent so much time reading about all of the perks and great things about the Haven, I know that I've been missing out on thinking about all of the wonderful things available on the ship for the rest of us!!! And it does get tiresome reading all the nay-sayers about long lines, unruly kids, and overly-drunk people. I feel that I've cruised enough times to know that so many of the complaint threads are vastly over exaggerated. I've just not encountered these particular problems on my cruises, and I'm going in to this one assuming I won't face them this time either.

The only thing that I'm already realizing I probably will NOT be able to take advantage of is a Vibe pass. The thought of getting stressed out by trying to be one of the very first people on the ship in order to buy the passes is not appealing to me. This is supposed to be a relaxing vacation so starting it by running and rushing anywhere is not going to happen. My sun worshipping can happen on my large balcony. And we booked the cruise too late to reserve a cabana on the private island, which would have been wonderful. But they're all gone. So that's 2 things I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of. However, I know that there have to be lots of things to make all of the people not staying in the Haven happy. Right?

So come on cheerleaders, let me know some great things to look forward to on my upcoming cruise!!

(And I know this is very very similar to the other thread I mentioned. But I didn't want to hi-jack that one with my specific issues, and I guess what I'm really looking for are suggestions to make me feel content with the fact that I'm not in the Haven. Does that make sense?)

Thanks.

Ok ,your going on a cruise,that should make you happy enough. Your in a great room ,I stayed in 8122 on the opposite side and loved the location. As for as not taking the haven offer, big whoop, there will probably be tons of kids running around so you would not enjoy yourself, just go to spice and it's free . Enjoy your personal sun deck in your mini suite.

Ok ,your going on a cruise,that should make you happy enough. Your in a great room ,I stayed in 8122 on the opposite side and loved the location. As for as not taking the haven offer, big whoop, there will probably be tons of kids running around so you would not enjoy yourself, just go to spice and it's free . Enjoy your personal sun deck in your mini suite.

Thank you. I know I'm probably sounding needy. I appreciate your taking the time to answer. And heck, you are surely correct: I'm going on a cruise! I am happy.

So one of my coworkers was on the last breakaway sailing and came back complaining that the haven wasn't worth the upsell. She was in an aft facing balcony and paid an additional 1100 for the haven upsell. She lost her big balcony and said that the haven had nice features but they didn't use the butler. They used the regular pool because they didn't open the roof. And they didn't eat in the haven restaurant because they ate while they were out and about. So I am gonna stick with my large balcony mini suite on 8. I have other stuff I could spend that money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

suze i seem to be running into you on all my BA research threads :) too bad you arent going on my october cruise. would have been fun to meet. If you dont do it already, i recommend subscribing to any thread you read and are interested in so you can go back later. someday i plan on copying and pasting all the important stuff into a spreadsheet then deciding what I may want to do out of it.

suze i seem to be running into you on all my BA research threads :) too bad you arent going on my october cruise. would have been fun to meet. If you dont do it already, i recommend subscribing to any thread you read and are interested in so you can go back later. someday i plan on copying and pasting all the important stuff into a spreadsheet then deciding what I may want to do out of it.

True that! I noticed the same thing about running in to you. And you seem very nice by the way. I can definitely see that you are a "planner/researcher" the same as I am. I do sometimes get a little nervous when I post a question because I'm afraid others might come back and scold me for a silly question, or an over-discussed topic. But I can't help it. I just want to get all of the info I can. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

i glean over the negatives. ignoring gets rid of them 100% of the time. i just cant wait for you to get back so i can ask you 1000 questions :) your 22 day clock has me jealous..you have to put a zero on the back of that number for my clock. and all this planning will pay off because your peace of mind is priceless.

So one of my coworkers was on the last breakaway sailing and came back complaining that the haven wasn't worth the upsell. She was in an aft facing balcony and paid an additional 1100 for the haven upsell. She lost her big balcony and said that the haven had nice features but they didn't use the butler. They used the regular pool because they didn't open the roof. And they didn't eat in the haven restaurant because they ate while they were out and about. So I am gonna stick with my large balcony mini suite on 8. I have other stuff I could spend that money on.

Oh my goodness. I could kiss you on the lips! But I promise I won't.

Thank you for posting that. Honestly, it is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. It's really a fear of mine. We're not "butler" kind of people. I posted somewhere that I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Haven roof open. That would make me crazy.

The only reason I'm even thinking of an upsell is because I've never been in a position where I've been offered one before. And this cruise is a little less expensive than the others that we've taken before, so I have a little wiggle room with money. I figured I had to at least consider it. We might never have the chance to stay in the Haven at any other time. Gosh. I can't help the way my brain works.....

Let's face it. We all want to feel good about the decisions we make, right? I guess I'm just out there looking for people to help me with that process. Thanks again.

making decisions bites. i'm not a butler person either and truly will probably be embarrassed to ask for even a bag of chips. i'm assuming they will do such a thing. however as stated above , you would pay X more so you literally would pay for the butler. since you have been on a cruise before and probably will be again. i wouldnt worry too much about haven. this is our once and done for life kind of thing so i can justify the $$ in my mind. even though the normal spa cabins are 70 sq ft less and 1100 less and id have to pay the 200 for the spa pass and all those other calculations swirl in my head as far as breakeven points and what is more important to us etc etc.

if it turns out its not worth it, ill be the first back here posting. and if it is, ill be back here posting. :) long as you make sure the room you did book is what makes you happy you will be good. and from all your research i'm sure it will be

The last time I cruised (I think it was on the Jewel about 4 years ago?) I wrote a really extensive review afterward. I love to write. I will most certainly do the same after this cruise. I also love to answer questions. Sort of like "paying it forward!"

If you have anything specific that I can check out while I'm on the Breakaway, feel free to let me know!

Im in an aft balcony next week,turned down the upsell to haven courtyard penthouse. I did not want to give up my aft Balcony for the haven this time. I figure it is spring break and it will be jammed with kids.I can spend the 1000 on my wife

Edited by HighVoltage#9

The Haven was great we got upgraded at the pier from a mini-suite to the Haven courtyard, no charge... But I believe those days are long gone.. That was last February... The benefits able to sleep in and not have to fight for a pool chair... Not having to pay for Vibe to get a quite spot.... The ability to eat in the Haven Restaurant... No a butler guy but did use him a couple of times... Special seating for the shows once again not having to go a half before a show starts to get seats...Booked in a Mini suite once again for a 14 day cruise in November but looking to up grade to the Haven ... Looking for A $500PP upgrade to the Haven... I will save $175.00 pp by not having to get vibe tickets...

We passed on the Haven offer of $1000 for 2 on our Epic trip through the Mediterranean in February. We kicked ourselves for that for a day and moved on. We never gave it a second thought and loved every minute of our cruise.

That said, we might be swayed with the offer on our cruise to South America on the Sun next year, just to see firsthand. [emoji572]️[emoji572]️[emoji572]️.

Ps I love the complainers and negative posts. They are almost always a hoot to read. It's so predictable to see how nearly any post, regardless of the topic, devolves quickly into a comment about too many drinks, not enough drinks, service charges vs tips, and how NCL should run their publicly traded company. I like to count how long it takes to get on those topics. . Usually it's within 4 posts[emoji23]

Oh my goodness. I could kiss you on the lips! But I promise I won't.

Thank you for posting that. Honestly, it is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear. It's really a fear of mine. We're not "butler" kind of people. I posted somewhere that I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Haven roof open. That would make me crazy.

The only reason I'm even thinking of an upsell is because I've never been in a position where I've been offered one before. And this cruise is a little less expensive than the others that we've taken before, so I have a little wiggle room with money. I figured I had to at least consider it. We might never have the chance to stay in the Haven at any other time. Gosh. I can't help the way my brain works.....

Let's face it. We all want to feel good about the decisions we make, right? I guess I'm just out there looking for people to help me with that process. Thanks again.

I think we are on the same ship! I feel the same way, we upgraded to the Haven Penthouse but now I'm thinking of changing to the Spa Haven Suite and can't decide although I love the idea of enjoying a spa for an entire week! Decisions....decisions.....UGGGHHHHH!!!!

The last time I cruised (I think it was on the Jewel about 4 years ago?) I wrote a really extensive review afterward. I love to write. I will most certainly do the same after this cruise. I also love to answer questions. Sort of like "paying it forward!"

If you have anything specific that I can check out while I'm on the Breakaway, feel free to let me know!

that is very much appreciated and i wouldnt burden you with a list of things. especially if i can research them here. like i was curious what was across from 14136. i read further down the hall some people were annoyed by a crew door opening in the early morning across the hall. but, if i'm recalling correctly, my researched showed that there is a 'secret' spa exit across from 14136 that you can only come out of. so it wont be like its the main entrance to the spa up on 15.

with the $$ i'm spending on this, i want it to be as 'good as it can be' and i be as informed as i can. most of the times my vacations are great because i took the time to research and this trip is a researchers paradise.

looking forward to the report!

I think we are on the same ship! I feel the same way, we upgraded to the Haven Penthouse but now I'm thinking of changing to the Spa Haven Suite and can't decide although I love the idea of enjoying a spa for an entire week! Decisions....decisions.....UGGGHHHHH!!!!

I know, right?!?!? Luckily, I have less trouble with the big decisions in my life (you know...those pertaining to the raising of my children, my career, stuff like that.) For some reason it's the ones that I know won't matter one bit 5 years from now that torture me! I'm sure you will love either of the 2 choices of cabin!

that is very much appreciated and i wouldnt burden you with a list of things. especially if i can research them here. like i was curious what was across from 14136. i read further down the hall some people were annoyed by a crew door opening in the early morning across the hall. but, if i'm recalling correctly, my researched showed that there is a 'secret' spa exit across from 14136 that you can only come out of. so it wont be like its the main entrance to the spa up on 15.

Well, if you remind me closer to April 3, I will gladly take a first-hand look at what's across from cabin 14136!!

Im in an aft balcony next week,turned down the upsell to haven courtyard penthouse. I did not want to give up my aft Balcony for the haven this time. I figure it is spring break and it will be jammed with kids.I can spend the 1000 on my wife

Well I will certainly be sure to show this post to my husband! I think the idea of spending the saved $1,000 on his wife is a wonderful one! Luckily, he is a very easy going guy who will be fine with any cabin we stay in. Full disclosure, the Haven would truly be more for him than for me. He recently retired after 29 years as a police officer. 90% of our vacations are driving vacations - we recently drove to Colorado, via Chicago, to spend Christmas with both of our kids. The idea behind this cruise is total relaxation. Starting with NO driving or stressful flying involved. The thought of being pampered in the Haven is nice, but as I've said before, I'm not sure we're really cut out for the butler thing.

We passed on the Haven offer of $1000 for 2 on our Epic trip through the Mediterranean in February. We kicked ourselves for that for a day and moved on. We never gave it a second thought and loved every minute of our cruise.

Ps I love the complainers and negative posts. They are almost always a hoot to read. It's so predictable to see how nearly any post, regardless of the topic, devolves quickly into a comment about too many drinks, not enough drinks, service charges vs tips, and how NCL should run their publicly traded company. I like to count how long it takes to get on those topics. . Usually it's within 4 posts[emoji23]

To your first point, that's a great attitude. I'm quite sure we'll enjoy our cruise either way. To your "ps" - I do sort of enjoy reading many of the negative posts, but sometimes they actually scare me! People get very worked up...