Our enjoyable day snorkeling in GC on our own

Trish Traveler

Visited Grand Cayman earlier this month (3/16) on the Carnival Conquest. Our main plan here was to snorkel with our own equipment that we bring from home. After researching here, we decided to try Cemetery Beach on the north end of Seven Mile Beach. So once again, up early for a buffet breakfast. No problem getting on a fairly early tender boat to shore. The weather was nice and partly cloudy. We took a few pictures in the port area while it was nice and empty before heading over to the bus station about 2 blocks away. The public bus/van is $2.50 US per person one way. It only took about 20 minutes to get there. There were no people on the beach when we arrived, but a few chickens and lizards were there to greet us. It is quite beautiful with several shades of aquamarine water. Nice sand beach with several trees for shade. Just so you are prepared there are no facilities here at all. We brought plenty of bottled water and bagged trail mix from home as a snack. And as the name implies it is located right behind a beautiful cemetery. I would think that is a delightful final resting place! It is an easy walk in entrance for snorkeling, but the reefs with the most fish are quite a distance out. The sea conditions were very good and the visibility was clear and amazing. Quite quickly we spotted a sting ray. I was amazed at how large many of the fish were here. I have done a lot of snorkeling, and it’s always different, but I am used to smaller fish. So this was a delightful, new experience for us. Some of the fish we saw were: sergeant majors, trunk fish, puffer, parrot, blue tangs and rainbow fish.

After enjoying that for a while, we relaxed on the beach under a tree while drying some of our gear. Even though it is about 5 miles from GeorgeTown, you can see the cruise ships anchored in the bay there. After a while we noticed some dark clouds in that direction and what looked like a deluge of rain in that area. We decided to pack up as it looked like it was heading our way. Back at the bus stop, we only had to wait about 10 minutes for the return bus into town. We ran into some drizzle, but the heavy rain missed us. We did see large puddles when we returned to town. Next, we browsed the Craft Market, but there weren’t too many vendors there, but there was a public bathroom.

Since the weather looked ok, we decided to head across the street to the Paradise Grill that has access to more snorkeling via their marine park steps near Eden Rock. My DH decided to chill out and enjoy some local Caybrew beer while I once again snorkeled. They feed the large tarpon fish here, so those big boys are swimming right where you enter the water. It is an amazing experience to see their glimmering silver scales up close while swimming peacefully next to them. They didn’t bother me at all. Heading further out I saw a nice variety of fish once again including some cuttlefish. Finally, I decided it was Caybrew time for me also and exited. Naturally the steps and railings are a bit slimy with algae, so it is a little difficult to exit. Even if you don’t want to snorkel here, you can view the tarpon from the platform.

After that we strolled the main drag to see some of the shops and went as far as the Fish Market where the locals were cleaning the fish caught that day. That was neat to see. And there is a very tiny beach there where I found a small handful of sea glass, so that was a nice surprise. Back to the tender pier as we were worn out from all the snorkeling and very hungry. The line was not too bad at about 2:30pm and only took about 10 minutes to board a tender for the scenic trip back.

Thanks CC members for your excellent info that helped us choose our snorkeling sites.

Thanks for the information. I have never been to GC but hear the snorkeling is great. Would you say that there is plenty of good snorkeling near the shore. What I mean do I need to pay for the excursion out to snorkel or is there just as good action near the shore (>200yards). As a lifeguard for many years I don't mind a little bit of a swim. Also do you know anywhere that rents gear? Thanks :):):)

Thanks for the information. I have never been to GC but hear the snorkeling is great. Would you say that there is plenty of good snorkeling near the shore. What I mean do I need to pay for the excursion out to snorkel or is there just as good action near the shore (>200yards). As a lifeguard for many years I don't mind a little bit of a swim. Also do you know anywhere that rents gear? Thanks :):):)

If you've never been, I suggest doing a snorkel and stingray city tour. You will get to swim with and feed the stingrays and snorkel in a couple of spots. I used Captain Marvin's, but there are other good operators.

If you just want to snorkel from the shore, it's very easy in GC. When you get off the tender boat, turn to the right and walk down the road to Eden Rock. You can't miss it. You can rent equipment there and the snorkeling is good.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/cruise.html

Edited by Cruise, J.D.

1/4 mile down the same road past Eden is Sunset House with an excellent "house reef" and dive shop for renting gear.

Snorkeling will be similar to eden, but because ti is further away few people come down, hence less crowded.

You'll also find "My Bar" one of the most popular bars on the island for the locals .... with great food too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be in GC next week and was planning on doing Eden Rock (I've been there before). I might try this place instead if it is less crowded.