gluten-free cruising?

brymern

I became gluten-free in October (for health reasons) and rarely have trouble finding good GF alternatives at home or dining out. We'll be taking our first cruise since going GF this August and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. In particular, I'm concerned about late night snacking, since the deli and pizza are off limits.

Lots of threads on this

Search for 'gluten' and 'celiac'.

Upon boarding go to the Maitre D (around 1) and preorder your first night's meal. At the end of the meal the hostess or your waiter will take the next day's MDR order for all meals served in the MDR. Order all that looks good. Carnival does a very good Indian meal, don't know if that is GF or not.

The buffet is a minefield. There are GF breads and pizza dough available. Ask the hostess or the Lido Chef. The line chefs mean well but they do not know everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I became gluten-free in October (for health reasons) and rarely have trouble finding good GF alternatives at home or dining out. We'll be taking our first cruise since going GF this August and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. In particular, I'm concerned about late night snacking, since the deli and pizza are off limits.

My wife has been cruising for two as gluten free (health reasons). On your cruise personalizer there should be a link to let them know that you are gluten free. If not call Carnival and ask that it be noted on your booking.

When you go to the MDR the first night tell your server that you have a special diet . The maitred will come over and help chose what is all ready gluten free and what can be made gluten free (GF). They should give you the lunch(if a sea day next) and supper menu for the next day. They will take your order and check with the head chief if they can do it GF.

If your traditional no problemo if anytime they will put your room number with the order. The next supper , tell the server special meal ordered . They will check with the maitred for your order and confirm what you ordered .

The buffet is a little problem . You need to ask one of the head chiefs what is GF or can be quickly made GF.

Lots of threads on this

Search for 'gluten' and 'celiac'.

Upon boarding go to the Maitre D (around 1) and preorder your first night's meal. At the end of the meal the hostess or your waiter will take the next day's MDR order for all meals served in the MDR. Order all that looks good. Carnival does a very good Indian meal, don't know if that is GF or not.

The buffet is a minefield. There are GF breads and pizza dough available. Ask the hostess or the Lido Chef. The line chefs mean well but they do not know everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

GF pizza dough & bread?? I didn't know that! Awesome!

GF pizza dough & bread?? I didn't know that! Awesome!

I'm also gluten free. In addition to what everyone said, be careful with the Deli. While they have gluten free bread, they will put condiments on with the same knife and from the same bins that they use for regular sandwiches. They will also use the same knives/cutting boards for preparing sandwiches. It's been hit or miss as to whether when I ask them to use a clean cutting board/utensils, they seemed put out by the request. At least with the pizza place, the servers seemed to get it and said "ok, I need to do this in a separate area" :p

Haven't seen any GF pizzia except in the specialty restaurant . GF bread , muffins and deserts are somethings aviable.

It's not ready like most pizza. Wait in line. Ask server for gluten free. Come back in 20 minutes. They make it fresh!

It's not ready like most pizza. Wait in line. Ask server for gluten free. Come back in 20 minutes. They make it fresh!

If you REALLY have to have pizza then you can order a GF pizza but I warn you the crust is pretty bad. So are the breads. Most nights I never eat the bread even though they always bring it, even if I ask them not to.

Carnival does a great job taking care of you in the dining rooms and I have found that when I ask about a dish in the buffet the staff will check to see if it is or is not GF.

I have Celiac and cross contamination or getting gluten can be a cruise breaker and Carnival has done the best of all cruise lines (Royal, Celebrity, Azamara, NCL) in taking care of my dietary needs.

If you are not Celiac then I wouldn't worry about cross-contamination in the deli or other areas. Just stick with reasonable choices in the buffet and stay away from breaded foods and handle it like you would on land.

The GF chocolate melting cake is delicious.

If your ship has Blue Iguana Cantina, they have gluten free tacos at lunch. I also am gluten free for health reasons. I agree with the others about the MDR, they are really great about tailoring to food allergies or intolerances. We always go see the maitre D on the first day.

I did try the gluten free pizza this past cruise and it was so disgusting I could not eat it. And the same for the bread. I pretty much stuck with the tacos for lunch, buffet you have to be careful but there are options available. The Mongolian wok is ok but you need to tell them about cross contamination. I was lucky as on the Breeze we also had the Tandoori restaurant with was open at lunch and had gluten free offerings. Good luck!