Regatta-Amazon 11-27-05 Amazon drought

desert sand

The news has reported the water on the Amazon is the lowest it has been in 30 years. A barge has been suck outside of Manaus for 2 weeks due to the low water. Reports say that the rainy season should start sometime in November. Where does that leave us? If we cannot get down the Amazon, where will they take us? Rio? We have several days scheduled going down the Amazon and I really would hate to lose this part of the trip. I totally understand if plans change because it is unsafe but I am just curious as to where they would take us to use up those days. I don't just want to spend days at sea to use up the time. Any one have any ideas?

We will be on this cruise with you. I have no concern that we will not be able to go to Manaus. Low water in ports like this usually only means there is less of a margin for error on the part of the pilots.

Paul

Hi Paul and Alta

Somehow your email address has gone on a vacation!!! Please email me and get me back up to speed!!!! Thanks

Esther

They are used to river fluctuations in Manaus. The dock is actually a "floating dock" that goes up and down with the river. I can't think that low rainfall would pose a major problem. The volume of water in the Amazon is "only" about 1/4 of the total fresh water in the world! However. like on any wide river, staying in the channel is important. For this reason, an Amazon River Pilot is used on all cruises. Probably a good thing because when we asked the Captain of Insignia on our cruise from Manaus to Barbados last March, he told us it was the first time he had ever sailed the Amazon. I have a comprehensive review of our cruise on this site that was actually chosen as Review of the Week when it was published. Relax and enjoy this unique cruise on a great ship.

Archived