Venice Embarkation

Emerald Waters

Good Morning Everyone...My husband and I are sailing out of Venice:) in September. We arrive the day before (just to be safe) ;) and will have a hotel booked for the evening. We will be able to spend most of the day touring Venice. Here is the problem...the next morning we need to board the ship...or do we...the ship does not set sail till 11pm...so we would get back for dinner on the ship and in time to watch the ship sail away, that's not the issue...if we arrive at the port say around 11am, drop off our luggage with the porters (who I assume will ensure our luggage gets where it needs to)...then get in line to sign in...hopefully it doesn't take hours...do we have to get on the ship right away or can we just go back into Venice....I am hoping we can just leave the luggage and come back, but if not, are we better off just asking our hotel to hold our luggage until 3pm or so and board the ship then.The last time we set sail from a port in Europe we sat for hours in the lounge and then weren't able to get back off.:eek:

If anyone has done this sailing before I would really appreciate the feedback. :D

I would ask on the cruise line forum

I would think getting the hotel to hold your bags would be a better option (depending on where it is )

You then do not have to go to the port then back to the sights

Failing that there is a bag storage in Piazzale Roma for a fee of course

check the Ports of call forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

You can check your luggage and sign in and then go back off and continue to explore in the afternoon.

I would allow time to get back so you can settle onto the ship including unpacking.

Mediterranean cruise are very port intensive so it's good to get settled the first day.

For more specifics I would post this on the curios line board for the ship you are sailing.

Keith

Have you investigated transport to the terminal? You have to take the water buses or walk from your hotel so take that into consideration when choosing luggage and packing.

Many hotels will be able to arrange for a public porter to walk your luggage to the People Mover. The porter shows up at your hotel, puts your luggage on a cart, then you walk with him. If I remember correctly, the charge was something like 5 EU per bag.

Many hotels will be able to arrange for a public porter to walk your luggage to the People Mover. The porter shows up at your hotel, puts your luggage on a cart, then you walk with him. If I remember correctly, the charge was something like 5 EU per bag.

Or you can stay in a hotel that is in the immediate area of the Piazzale Rome, this is where the buses from the airport drop you off in Venice. The Piazzale is also where one boards the People Mover that takes you to the port.

We stayed at the Best Western Hotel Olimpia (definitely NOT the typical Best Western found in the USA) which requires crossing just one smallish bridge from the Piazzale. It's housed in what appears to have been a large residence originally and sits on a small canal. Fortunately it has an elevator!! Apparently some of the hotels that are converted residences do not. They had a great breakfast buffet too!! Anyway ........

When it was time to go board our ship we walked back to the piazzale, towing out suitcases, and boarded the People Mover (it's like an elevated short train). Upon arrival at the other end, Princess had a truck waiting to take our large suitcases to the ship for us, and we were offered the option of walking to our pier or riding a bus there. We chose the bus as it was the equivalent to walking several blocks.

Our ship was staying in port overnight, so after checking in we walked back to the People Mover and went to spend the evening wandering around Venice some more.