credit cards in Roatan

bluehawks47

We are planning on visiting West End and West Bay while in Roatan. Is it safe to assume that most of the restaurants/bars will accept credit cards? I am guessing the shopping area of West End will only accept cash?

Thank you

We are planning on visiting West End and West Bay while in Roatan. Is it safe to assume that most of the restaurants/bars will accept credit cards? I am guessing the shopping area of West End will only accept cash?

Thank you

I understand many establishments take credit cards. I have never used one due to the very high surcharge, last I remember it was 18%.

This is a thread from Sept 2015 on Trip advisor talking about credit cards.

You can use credit cards pretty much everywhere except small gift shops and tiny restaurants or street food. Most off the real stores in West End will accept cards. It is important to know that while it is actually not allowed for them to do so, many establishments pass the card usage charge from the business to the customer so in some places there is an additional percent for using the card. This is not to be confused with sales tax which is charged regardless of method of payment.

The one thing I will tell you NOT to do, however, is use your ATM card at an ATM machine in West End. WE have had a lot of problems in West End with card number theft and so forth. Several machines are big issues. The ATM at the airport is reliable and probably there are safe ones at the port though I am not sure. Best bet is to use cash or credit but not ATM.

Also very important to let your bank and card company know that your cards will be used in these countries because otherwise they will immediately cut your card off when they see transactions in honduras!