Ketchikan Crab Feed - Floatplane or Wilderness Explorer?

t4jes

For our honeymoon cruise in August, we're hoping to do the crab feed in Ketchikan. Originally, we were going to do the wilderness explorer cruise, but then decided maybe the floatplane would be more spectacular. Now I'm second guessing myself again.

The Wilderness Explorer excursion is 4.5 hrs while the floatplane is only 2.

I've seen posts on this in the past, but no definitive answers.

Anybody have any suggestions or experiences with the two options and which one may be better to book?

I did the floatplane/cruise combo.

I am one of the few who didn't like the floatplane but most people rave about it.

The boat ride has one section that is amazingly beautiful and unique. The remaining (and larger/longer part of the boat ride) is very similar to what you see on the ship. Long story short - you spend a lot of time in the boat getting to the amazing view but it is relaxing and the rest of the time is not bad by any means but not unique.

The flight is almost all amazing views. You may want to seek out the views of other cruisers who took pictures.

On a side note, I have never gotten sick in a plane before (or on a boat) and have taken quite a few 13 passenger planes as that was the size my town had for a long time for flights. Everyone on my plane felt sick - I was relieved it wasn't just me, thankfully none of us got sick. Just take precautions if you do suffer from motion sickness.

Edited by Coral

We did the float plane tour/ crab feed and my answer is neither. Skip the crab feed and book one of the longer flightseeing tours. The flight is amazing and on the float plane/crab feed, you're only in the air for about 15 minutes. It was nowhere near long enough! The crab feed was good, but not anything spectacular. And we were crammed in a small room the size of a garage at one long table for about 20 people. Half the people faced the small windows, and the rest of us were crammed with our backs against the wall with no view at all. Get crab in Juneau. Tracy's Crab Shack is great. We both wished we had done one of the Much longer Misty Fjords Flight tours. We plan to do it next time.

For crab lovers travelling with a large group of 6 or more.... they should consider checking out some of the premium Chinese restaurants in Vancouver. Check out how the crab can be presented beyond boil 'n butter....

http://www.followmefoodie.com/2014/04/dynasty-seafood-restaurant-alaskan-king-crab-dinner-vancouver/

Edited by xlxo

I did the floatplane/cruise combo.

I am one of the few who didn't like the floatplane but most people rave about it.

The boat ride has one section that is amazingly beautiful and unique. The remaining (and larger/longer part of the boat ride) is very similar to what you see on the ship. Long story short - you spend a lot of time in the boat getting to the amazing view but it is relaxing and the rest of the time is not bad by any means but not unique.

The flight is almost all amazing views. You may want to seek out the views of other cruisers who took pictures.

On a side note, I have never gotten sick in a plane before (or on a boat) and have taken quite a few 13 passenger planes as that was the size my town had for a long time for flights. Everyone on my plane felt sick - I was relieved it wasn't just me, thankfully none of us got sick. Just take precautions if you do suffer from motion sickness.

Sorry - I thought you were going to do the Crab Feed and then Misty Fiords plane or boat. Thus, my answer that way.

I have not done the Crab Feed so can't compare. My answers were based on Misty Fiords.

I couldn't get Flickr to work last night, but it seems to be working now, so here is a link to my photos from Ketchikan, the flightseeing tour and the George Inlet Lodge. Take note on the shots of the lodge that we were in the small building on the left, first floor.

Thanks for the suggestions. We're still mulling, but your feedback has helped us to think some more.

Fiance's a foodie which is why crab feed sounds so fun (and we're more found of AYCE dungeness crab that the frozen King crab legs that we'll see at the crab stores).

They say crab in Alaskan cruise season is frozen.....

If you want live crab.... phone ahead at the premium Vancouver Chinese restaurants.... they have aquariums ready to assist. You can pose with the crab for photos prior to the feast....

[YOUTUBE]CCl1MsvWsgw[/YOUTUBE]