Help with bar/restaurants in Cozumel

tusconcam

Hi there.My girlfriend (49 and 46) and I are looking for help/advice about which bar/restaurant to go to while in Cozumel for the day on our cruise.

I was thinking of perhaps hiring a driver/guide for a few hours and go to the eastern side/wild side of the island to see the rugged shoreline and get away from the masses a bit.

I've read about Playa Bonita, on that side, as an option.It looks like you can get a fair view of the water/beach. is that true? How is the food and atmosphere?prices?

We aren't big drinkers so drink quality is not a factor.

Can anyone comment/answer the same questions about Chen Rio? Apparently you can swim there, but we probably wouldn't so that doesn't sway me one way or other. How does it compare to Playa Bonita? (views,beach,food etc)

We may want to check out Punta Sur (lighthouse but especially the beach). Papitos Beach club looks quite beautiful. I've read that the food is quite expensive a la carte and maybe not the best in quality. Does anyone know about this beach club and its food? I know that there is an AI option there, but we may not have enough time to warrant spending on that? Not sure.

Near the entrance to Punta Sur is Rastas I've been advised. Any comments about it and how does it compare with the others above?

Finally we will end up near the International Pier where we're docked; but I hear there are more shopping/dining options near Puerta Maya pier. Is this true?

What bar/restaurant would you recommend near there? We will do chain restaurants, but would probably prefer not, but remain open. We'd like a fun atmosphere, good food, good prices (I know it's a touristy place so prices will be inflated) and ideally a view out to the water if possible.

If we don't eat near that pier area, where else would you recommend near the Lagonsta? pier or downtown San Miguel? (with the same things that we are looking for)

I realize that there are posts that touch upon some of these questions, but they don't seem to compare them and that is what I most need to really help me decide where to go in our busy day. I realize this is subjective but your opinions/comments/comparisons will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We did the Bar Hop a couple of years back as we were really getting burned out on the usual clubs. You climb on a bus and a young local gives you a brief island description/history of the island as you cross to the other side. We stopped at 4 bars on the far (rugged) side of the island. Your 1st shot was free. Great food at one of the stops. You also get a T-Shirt.

Well worth it: http://www.cozumelbarhop.com

The surf is pretty rough, so I don`t recommend swimming.

It's been a few years since I ate at Chen Rio, but they did have a great whole snapper. Yes you can swim there in the lagoon assuming the warning flag isn't flying.

Playa Bonita has good quality food as well. I like their shrimp gorditas. It too is on the beach and you eat under an open air setting. you can walk the beach, but no swimming.

Paradise Café (Rasta's), IMO, has/had the better seafood along the east side. But haven't been there, or on the East Side, since 2013. Good beach and good drinks.

Haven't been to Papitos, it wasn't around in 2013.

At Puerta Maya is an outlet for Pancho's BackYard. We ate there in January when it was raining gatos and perros and no one was going anywhere. Chile Rellenos and "vacation" margaritas (a little sip will do ya.) It's a better stop than the 3 Amigos there. But I understand they reopened the Hard Rock Café across the street from the TMM International Pier...so if that's your thing, you might check that out too.

Downtown I've always favored the loncherias and cocinas economicas but that said, La Mission on the SW corner of the main plaza, or Casas Denis, just off the plaza on the eastern side, or La Choza on the corner of Salas and Calle 3 Sur, are all good spots.

Thank you for your replies. Two different options/answers but both very interesting.

To the last poster; It really sounds like you know Cozumel and I really appreciate the insights.Quite impressive.

More information still appreciated from others.

Guido's for Italian, atmosphere, and wine list. Renaldi's for Italian and sunset dining on a terrace. Money Bar for snorkeling, Happy Hour, and sunsets. Rastas for beach and chilling. Coconuts for (if you're lucky to get a good table) cliff-side dining overlooking the ocean.

At Puerta Maya is an outlet for Pancho's BackYard. We ate there in January when it was raining gatos and perros and no one was going anywhere. Chile Rellenos and "vacation" margaritas (a little sip will do ya.) .

Have to agree! Pancho's Backyard even at the Puerta Maya location is very good.:)

Three Amigos is actually fine if you just want very good drinks and things like nachos . In some ways we like Three Amigos better ... just for the fun of it. :D

We really aren't into eating Italian food in Mexico. :rolleyes:

Hi there TNCRUZER. Tusconcam replying to your answer re bars/restaurants in Cozumel. I was interested in your suggestion about the Cozumel Bar Hop but I can't seem to contact them. I tried their website contact page and all I get is my original text/Q's sent back to me. Frustrating.

Do you know how I might contact them?

Do you remember/know when your tour started? I'd like to know so I can figure out if my girlfriend (mostly) and I have enough time to shop/eat by Puerta Maya Pier/Cinco Soles/Downtown before my ship departs at 7 pm.

Finally; do you have any recommendations on areas to shop near Puerta Maya Pier and Downtown? Any ideas on a fun casual restaurant hopefully with a water view in those areas too?

I've pestered you enough.Thanks in advance for any information you might be able to pass along. (your bar hop tour suggestion was an interesting one-thanks)

Sincerely.

Cameron

Edited by tusconcam