Epic New Menus?

tel2

Thanks. What I was really trying to find out is whether lobster is available in the haven restaurant on epic. It was on escape, but others have reported on other ships that have gone to the new menus that it was not. My husband goes to specialties and orders lobster every night. I was trying to figure out if we could just go to the haven restaurant and get it. It isn't an issue of cost because we have the old UDP.

Terry

I haven't got the new menus, but we were on Epic last week and I couldn't see much difference between what we had this time and the new Escape menus that we have seen on here. There is lobster on the menu in the Epic Haven Restaurant every night and we had it as an excellent "surf and turf" on our last night.

They seemed to be having a lot of trouble getting the new menus up to speed on Epic and there were serving delays in most places across the ship that seemed to be caused more by kitchen issues rather than front of house staff. We had one disaster of a meal in Cagney's but were not able to wait for it to be cooked properly again because we were already short of time to head to a show because the service was so slow. I did take it up with the manager but since we had the full UDP, it was pointless other than to make sure it was sorted.

Overall the new menus are more modern with bigger plates and smaller portions in line with modern gastro practice! There were a few occasions when I would have preferred "decent" amounts of sauce on my plate rather than seeing a sauce on the menu and then finding out it was actually five or six small blobs making it look pretty. Talking of lobster it did seem to be much more in evidence in other restaurants across the ship than it has been recently.

Final thought about the new menus was that making wholesale changes in kitchens the size they are on the megaships, maybe have been a bit too challenging for the staff and a more gradual improvement might not be so good for the PR spinners, but would have led to much less of an issue for both staff and guests than we had. It appeared to be a case of more of the big sweeping "seems-like-a-good-idea" changes than have become the norm with those at the top taking big swings without taking the trouble to see how that would work in practice. Might have worked on small lines with small ships, but it is not working on NCL. The top team should get rid of roulette table planning and do some proper project management in future - that is if anyone up there actually knows how to now.