Istanbul

So sad to hear the news from Istanbul today. We are due to visit in May and so far I have kept an open mind and have been looking forward to the trip as we really enjoyed it last time. I'm now feeling quite twitchy about it - we don't really want to spend the day on the ship. Is it likely that Thomson will now change the itinerary as the terrorism seems to be ongoing?

We've been to Istanbul a couple of times and it's a magical place, such a shame all this terrorism is going on there as we love Turkey. You just have to be guided by advice given. Where in the world now is truly 100% safe. If the ship docks in Istanbul I certainly would get off the ship. I hope you get to see Istanbul

Absolutely awful to hear the news. Istanbul is such a lovely place to visit, so much history. Of course, it can happen anywhere. Remember Paris just a few months ago.

Are Thomson likely to pull out of stopping there? I'm sure they will take a long, hard look.

Look, it's a sad fact of life that nowhere is truly safe and there is an argument that says that if we stop going to areas that are dangerous then 'they' have won. It's true that Istanbul is a truly magical city, but is it worth risking your life for? I think not. The cruise companies will make a decision based on foreign office advice, but their first responsibility has to be, or should be, the safety of their passengers. On a personal level, even if the ship docked there, I would stay on board I'm sorry to say. There is no way I would put myself or my wife at risk.

FO advice on Istanbul.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

"There has been an explosion on the morning of 19 March on Istiklal Street in central Istanbul resulting in a number of deaths and injuries. You should avoid the area and follow instructions given by Turkish security forces."

Glad I'm not a member of Thomsons high command who has to take a decision on pulling Istanbul from the itineraries or not.