Gem ocean view question

KevinsCruising

Hey,

This is the first time I will be cruising in an ocean view cabin on the Gem. Does anyone have a pix of a quad ocean view. Trying to see the sleeping arrangements. I hope their are two beds that pull or drop from ceiling but not sure. I have heard there may be a rolling bed in the middle which I hope not.

Thanks

Kevin

See - post #21 on this pictorial review, GEM porthole oceanview #4560 Fwd, portside.

Two single bed that form an oversized Queen, a pullman that drop down from the wall and for a 4th person, trestle bed that's usually stored & hidden under one of the single bed. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1741792&page=2

You can set up a U shape bed layout, so there's room to sit around in the middle, not ideal - but it worked for many ... depending on how much time you plan to spent inside the cabin vs. being out and about.

You are welcomed - tight & cozy for a family, teens might not be too happy but ... you are saving money, right . ;) It's usually just 2 of us in these cabins so it worked for us as we don't "shelter in place" 18 hours a day inside & often out - except on long sea days. They are roomy compared to the ones on the BA, for sure :D

Do you have your stateroom assignment - you can always do a search to see if someone else posted info & details. Not sure about the GEM, but on the Jewel, Star & Dawn, there are some OV cabins (possibly the sideway ones) with 2 pullman beds that drop them from the walls on either side - I vaguely recalled passing the hallways/corridors and saw them, many - many years ago.

Maybe, maybe there's a possibility of an upsell for a stateroom with more space - but, even the balcony for 4 isn't good, the single sofa virtually blocked off access to the sliding door for the outdoors, and it's and the paddings are ultra slim. That's Spring break time for many school districts in the NE corridor ...

Happy cruising :p

I had originally booked the Gem family OV stateroom for my family of 4...then I saw the room configuration....way too tight looking, I just couldn't handle that...ended up upgrading to a mini suite a week before sailing. We leave on 4/22! Will let you know how it was!

It depends on how many times I am vacationing a year (I take up to two 2 week vacations a year and a dozen 5 days or less vacation). If we are skimping on the quantity of vacations we get 2 adjoining cabins or a suite. We have been cruising and having many land vacations with our kids (now 14 and 10) for years If we are in a year that we are having many vacations we end up sticking to a cabin to squeeze us all in (leaves us more money to have s few more vacations in the years).

Although I enjoy more spacious accomodations , I also love his we travel around the world a lot and make do with "just" an oceanview

At this point in our travels with our kids, they know how we roll and they make do as well

Either way I don't mind the smaller accomodations.

FYI we cruise in 3 days. Myself my MIL and 2 kids for 10 days and it was such a last minute booking 2 weeks ago that I got the best prices cabin GTY. So we are stuck 4 to a room. We wouldn't be able to afford a suite at this point becUse we are in the midst of planning for Italy and Poland trio for 3 weeks this summer. It was either this small cabin or no cruise at all :). Guesse what the kids decided?

You are welcomed - tight & cozy for a family, teens might not be too happy but ... you are saving money, right . ;) It's usually just 2 of us in these cabins so it worked for us as we don't "shelter in place" 18 hours a day inside & often out - except on long sea days. They are roomy compared to the ones on the BA, for sure :D

Do you have your stateroom assignment - you can always do a search to see if someone else posted info & details. Not sure about the GEM, but on the Jewel, Star & Dawn, there are some OV cabins (possibly the sideway ones) with 2 pullman beds that drop them from the walls on either side - I vaguely recalled passing the hallways/corridors and saw them, many - many years ago.

Maybe, maybe there's a possibility of an upsell for a stateroom with more space - but, even the balcony for 4 isn't good, the single sofa virtually blocked off access to the sliding door for the outdoors, and it's and the paddings are ultra slim. That's Spring break time for many school districts in the NE corridor ...

Happy cruising :p

The two pullmans will definitely be better!

it might be a bit tight but it's only for sleeping anyway, right? gives you more of a reason to get up early and get out in the sun :) there's plenty of great spaces around the ship to enjoy a good nap and relax. perhaps one of you might get the spa pass? this is great to use for the heated stone chairs and the padded loungers. Also, there are bigger showers and more space to get ready outside of the tight quarters of the cabin. cheers and have fun! we had a room on deck 5 for 3 ladies. we had an upper bunk that pulled down from the wall and 2 lower twin beds...plenty of room. i am thinking if they added a 4th bed that it would have been a bit cozy with the rollaway bed.