HELP! Carnival Dream June 2016-East or West?

Parrothead_82

Hi everyone! My husband has surprised me with a cruise to celebrate my 10-year cancer free milestone! This will be our 3rd cruise. We are taking our teenager and our first grader with us. We have settled on the Carnival Dream sailing out of NOLA in June. I'm trying to decide on an itinerary-Eastern Caribbean or Western? Eastern goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Western goes to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. The only one of these locations I've been to before is Cozumel, so the first two stops will be new to me either way. Which destinations are better for kids? And for parents who prefer to chill out on pretty beaches when in port (as opposed to the more adventurous excursions)?:confused:

I need to book as quickly as possible so we can request dates off work. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

We just put the 6/12 cruise on hold. After reading Mitsugirly's review on the Norwegian boards, I really want to go to Little French Key in Roatan, and Goff's Cay in Belize.:D:D

Up until now, I've hated the western itineraries, but now I am feeling the need to try it.:D

Read her reviews if you haven't.

TONS of pictures.

Good luck deciding!!!!

Hi everyone! My husband has surprised me with a cruise to celebrate my 10-year cancer free milestone! This will be our 3rd cruise. We are taking our teenager and our first grader with us. We have settled on the Carnival Dream sailing out of NOLA in June. I'm trying to decide on an itinerary-Eastern Caribbean or Western? Eastern goes to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Western goes to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. The only one of these locations I've been to before is Cozumel, so the first two stops will be new to me either way. Which destinations are better for kids? And for parents who prefer to chill out on pretty beaches when in port (as opposed to the more adventurous excursions)?:confused:

I need to book as quickly as possible so we can request dates off work. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

They are both Western Caribbean. The Eastern Caribbean itinerary from New Orleans is Key West, Freeport, and Nassau. Out of the two options I prefer Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel over Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. The port area in Belize is nasty, dangerous, and no beaches close by.

In Jamaica I would suggest Doctors Cave Beach. You can take a bus from the port area for $5 per person one way. It is about a 10-15 minute bus ride. You will pay the admission fee to get in and umbrellas, chairs, etc..

In Grand Cayman: There are many stopping points along Seven Mile Beach. I would recommend Royal Palms Hotel. You pay the admission fee to get in. I would NOT recommend stopping at Calico Jacks. It might seem good on Trip Advisor but it is not. The chairs are worn out and there are tons of people. Not quiet at all.

In Cozumel: Since you have kids, I would recommend Paradise Beach. You can get a taxi from the port area and it is about a 15-20 minute car ride. You will pay the admission fee of $3 and $18 if you want to use the water toys.

That's a lot of valuable info, thank you for that! :-)

We ultimately decided to go with the Jamaica and Grand Cayman sailing because my mom scared the beejebus out of me with pictures of these things called "botflies" that lay their eggs in your skin, and are apparently rampant in Belize (according to her worry-wart opinion lol). If there's even the slightest chance my family could end up with one of those things in our skin, I have no desire to go to Belize ever! Thanks for reinforcing my decision with your description of their port though. Doesn't sound like our kind of fun at all!

Glad you decided on 'our' cruise!! I'll be with my teens.

We did a lot of research and have booked our excursions too - I can't wait. Doesn't help that work is a bear right now!

Incidentally, I'm celebrating my 5 year cancerversary....fist bump!