TA vs booking solo

Tammy10000

What are the possible perks of using a TA? I'm looking to book a cruise once the new schedule is released as I'm under the understanding that's the most economical time to do so. Is it best to use a travel agent, book solo online, OR wait for a last minute discount cruise (I'm not picky)?

Some insight would be appreciated.

A few points--a good TA can be worth her weight in gold; a bad TA is a major headache. ALL payments should go to DCL, not to the TA or agency. You give the agency your credit card number, but it will show the payment to DCL.

Price--there is no deal other than rebooking on board that is available directly thru DCL but not thru a TA. The agent may need to know HOW to get you the deal, but they can do it.

Last minute (*GT) bookings are USUALLY about the same price as a day 1 booking or a little more, but there are exceptions. There are currently European cruises with *GT bookings available that are more than $1000 less than day 1 bookings! However, you take a chance, you don't get to choose a cabin, etc. If you know what you want and it is a typical 3-7 night cruise, you're probably better booking on day 1. Prices do go up as the ship fills, so the earlier you book the better in most cases.

TA vs. direct thru DCL....I use an agency that gives me an onboard credit as a "thanks for booking" gift. They also give excellent service. NO amount of OBC or gift card or whatever makes up for a bad agent. On the other hand, whether $50 or $500, that is real money that I can spend on the cruise. I wouldn't get it if I booked thru DCL directly. My agent is very big on service. For instance, I was once on a cruise when "the day" for making reservations, etc. hit. I let her know in advance what I wanted and she did the Palo, excursions, etc. for me. She has also done the day before check in for Southwest airlines for me. I use a REAL bricks and mortar agency, although it is located far from me. They have an 800 number and are happy to talk...or to work thru e-mail or whatever I prefer. Every agent in the office has cruised DCL recently, and all have years of experience. I once tried a "big name" agency that was really a loose collection of people working from smart phones and wanted everything to go thru internet--don't do this! I knew more than the agent and they screwed up the booking.

SO...book on your own or thru an agent...depends on the agent. How good is he/she and what do you get besides someone pushing computer buttons for you (you can do that yourself!)

I think it comes down to benefits vs control. Book on your own you get to change anything you want. Book through a TA you have to contact them for room changes and payments, but you should get some perk in booking with them. OBC, free excursion, gift basket...if not find another TA.

People on some boards say that they "lose control" of their reservation if they use a TA. That has not been my experience at all. Yes, you have to go thru the TA for anything that involves money on the main reservation--room change, add or delete transfers, make payment. DCL is not supposed to talk to you about questions, but often they will for "general" sorts of questions. (what night is pirate night on this cruise?) They will not answer anything specific regarding your reservation (will my room have a ceiling bunk?)

You can still do all your on line reservations on your own. We've honestly found the extra "reminders" to be a benefit as my TA wants to do final payment about 2 weeks before DCL's final date. And when there has been a problem, it is nice to have someone with some connections to run interference for us.

You also learn how to phrase questions to DCL. You can call, not say a word about an existing reservation, and ask if room XXXX on the Fantasy will hold 3 or 4 people or if it has a ceiling bunk.

Edited by moki'smommy

I think it comes down to benefits vs control. Book on your own you get to change anything you want. Book through a TA you have to contact them for room changes and payments, but you should get some perk in booking with them. OBC, free excursion, gift basket...if not find another TA.

One caveat here: a top producing TA for a particular line may do a million in bookings vs. your few thousand. When there's a problem, who do you think will get the better/faster solution?

One caveat here: a top producing TA for a particular line may do a million in bookings vs. your few thousand. When there's a problem, who do you think will get the better/faster solution?

They also have "behind the scenes" contacts and phone numbers that can get more traction than you have with the CM who answers the phone!

I could give you a great example, but it probably isn't worth the explanation. Suffice it to say that a top producing agency can do far more for you than you can for yourself.

We booked ourselves online then transferred to Costco. Their cash card beats any onboard credit IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does if you use that store. However, they lose 40% of their commission with a transfer. Be sure you know whether they will still give you the "full" value of the gift card or will lower the benefit to reflect the lower commission.

Also remember that the biggest "gift" doesn't necessarily mean the best service or the best agent. It isn't about what happens when everything is great. It is about what happens when the proverbial hits the fan.

Edited by moki'smommy

Can I ask how you transferred your reservation to Costco? I'm still learning the tricks! Thank you.

We booked ourselves online then transferred to Costco. Their cash card beats any onboard credit IMO.

To transfer a reservation, you first confirm that the TA will accept the transfer. Then there is a form that you complete and mail or fax to DCL. This must be received within 30 days of making the reservation.

I know it sounds weird--why wouldn't a TA accept a transfer? They still get 60% of the commission and the booking work is done...but there are some TAs who will not accept transfers.

Can I ask how you transferred your reservation to Costco? I'm still learning the tricks! Thank you.

I believe we called them. This was done last August. We booked online through Disney. Then filled out our forms and faxed them to Costco. Then they sent us confirmation

We book through Costco as well. We have also transferred reservations to Costco twice, and both times we still got the full cash card (DCL) and OBC (RCCL). IMO, it can still make sense to book through Costco even if you don't have a store nearby. You can join online for $55 and then spend your cash card online. We put our last cash card ($425) toward a digital SLR camera -- which was a great deal, BTW!

That's great to know! We're going on a cruise next month and I'm thinking of booking our next one while on board, so will definitely keep these tips in mind!

For rebooking on board, it is even easier. All you need to do is to name the travel agency at the time of the booking. If they are not the same agency you used for the current cruise, it can be helpful to have the agency's phone number as that appears in the DCL computer system.

I am also struggling with this same question. So far, the overall verdict (via another website) is to book through a TA vs. self book. My understanding is that TAs can book a block of rooms and get a steep discount on the prices which they pass onto you (but they are not allowed to advertise it). I think this is called "Group Booking" or something like that.

So, here is my question, how common of a practice is this? I've always booked all my own travel and hesitate to use the services of a TA. I found an agent that immediately wanted my DOB and address so she could look up my past cruise information. Asking for that type of information right away made me nervous and I ignored the request. I do realize that eventually a TA will need DOBs, addresses, etc. but was wondering if this is a normal first thing to ask for?

Just really nervous about using a TA. If anyone has any specific agencies they can recommend, I'm very open to it. I think the amount of research required to properly book a cruise yourself can be very time consuming and in the interests of jumping on a good deal, perhaps a TA would be worth using if it was a time-sensitive decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am also struggling with this same question. So far, the overall verdict (via another website) is to book through a TA vs. self book. My understanding is that TAs can book a block of rooms and get a steep discount on the prices which they pass onto you (but they are not allowed to advertise it). I think this is called "Group Booking" or something like that.

So, here is my question, how common of a practice is this? I've always booked all my own travel and hesitate to use the services of a TA. I found an agent that immediately wanted my DOB and address so she could look up my past cruise information. Asking for that type of information right away made me nervous and I ignored the request. I do realize that eventually a TA will need DOBs, addresses, etc. but was wondering if this is a normal first thing to ask for?

Just really nervous about using a TA. If anyone has any specific agencies they can recommend, I'm very open to it. I think the amount of research required to properly book a cruise yourself can be very time consuming and in the interests of jumping on a good deal, perhaps a TA would be worth using if it was a time-sensitive decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The "group booking" TA discount thing doesn't happen with DCL because they don't give discounts for group bookings (though it 100% does happen on other cruise lines - that's how I got a great deal on a Celebrity Concierge room that was less than the advertised price of an oceanview).

And yes, TAs will ask for names, dobs, address and phone numbers right away - they need those to book. Often, TAs will put a hold on a room awaiting for you to say yes or no so that the price is locked in for you.

My advice is to pick the cruise and room location you want by using the DCL website and then contact a Disney cruise Travel Agency (use that as a google search term and you'll find at least 3 million hits). Look for one that's offering on board credit and maybe compare amounts. Once you think you've settled on an agency, do a google search for their name and see what comes up (if people are unhappy, trust me, something negative will come up).

Edited by meatloafsfan

RIght, I second that the TA "Group booking" is not available on DCL. A TA will need your name and basic ID info, and will be able to place a 72 hour hold on a cabin for you. This enables them to get back to you and confirm price, etc.

The price of a DCL cabin is the same regardless of how it is booked. The only price advantage of a TA comes in the form of shopping card, OBC, or other gift that they might provide as a "thanks for booking with us."

I originally used a TA on DCL for the OBC. Since then, I've learned about the services a good TA can provide. But I didn't find my super TA the first time out....the first "large on line agency" I used was a disaster. The current "large on line and bricks and mortar" is great.