Is this a walk-around town??

kg4pit

No. Not Really.

Belize City is more of a working city than a tourist city. You can walk around a bit but there's not a heck of a lot to walk to. If you go over the swing bridge, to your left out of th eport complex, you can walk down one of th estreets Regents or Alberts to the old Anglican Church and the Cultural museum in the old Governors Mansion, visible from port. Maybe stop at Brodie's department store. If you turn right out of the cruise port complex you can walk along the promenade to the light house and eventually come around to the National Museum, which you can also get to by turning right at the swing bridge instead of left to downtown. There are a few good local restaurants in the area, Bird's Isle, Nerie's , Annie's Lunchbox around the swing bridge and the Smokey Mermaid near the lighthouse and the cruise port. A small local craft's market is across from the cruise port.

Crewsweeper pretty much nailed it.

There will be posters that will tell you it is too dangerous but I think some people see the bogeyman around every corner. We find the people to be quite friendly.

And let me add. I've walked around to all the places mentioned in my post more than once with no issues. This past January, when we exited the cruise port to meet our excursion driver, we were met only by excursion vendors holding signs for their excursion meet ups. No hawkers. And returning from Nerie's we saw no hawkers outside the other terminal gate, but it was later in the day.