Flying from Belize to Caye Caulker

HeyDay218

We will be traveling to Belize on April 11 from 9AM-6PM. I have booked a private excursion to Caye Caulker and Im looking into booking flights there instead of taking the water ferry. My question is, which airport is closest to the Belize Port? If my ship itinerary says 9AM-6PM, is Belize an hour ahead or behind? I know the cab ride from the port to airport is approximately 10 minutes - but how far is the Caye Caulker airport to where the excursions usually are? Will I need another cab? Are they readily available? Thanks!

You don't say which ship you are on or from which US port you are sailing from. That would handle the time question. Belize does not observe daylight savings time. It's 2 hours behind current US Eastern DST and 1 hour behind current Central DST. I believe Maya Air flies out of the Belize Municipal airport which is closer to the cruise port/tender pier but I think it makes a brief layover at Belize International. Taxi to either. On landing probably the golf cart is the best option as any vehicle larger would probably not be allowed. You can walk the entire island in a half hour.

I believe Wade the Gringo on these boards works for or worked for Maya Air so he's very familiar with the set up to Caye Caulker and hopefully will chime in with succinct details.

Yes, golf carts will be at the airport. You would fly in and out of Belize Municipal. That is the closest to the port. Tropic Air and Maya Air are the ones to use. I know Tropic Air leaves every hour. We take the water taxi over there to CC and fly back.

You don't say which ship you are on or from which US port you are sailing from. That would handle the time question. Belize does not observe daylight savings time. It's 2 hours behind current US Eastern DST and 1 hour behind current Central DST. I believe Maya Air flies out of the Belize Municipal airport which is closer to the cruise port/tender pier but I think it makes a brief layover at Belize International. Taxi to either. On landing probably the golf cart is the best option as any vehicle larger would probably not be allowed. You can walk the entire island in a half hour.

I believe Wade the Gringo on these boards works for or worked for Maya Air so he's very familiar with the set up to Caye Caulker and hopefully will chime in with succinct details.

Never heard of Maya....Just Kidding, I work for TROPIC AIR....LOL

Yes, golf carts will be at the airport. You would fly in and out of Belize Municipal. That is the closest to the port. Tropic Air and Maya Air are the ones to use. I know Tropic Air leaves every hour. We take the water taxi over there to CC and fly back.

May I ask why you do the ferry there and fly back? I have read about a few other people doing this but everyone says the ferry to CC in the mornings are always jam packed and seem to run late.

• 2 weeks later...
May I ask why you do the ferry there and fly back? I have read about a few other people doing this but everyone says the ferry to CC in the mornings are always jam packed and seem to run late.

They are packed but we board right when they start boarding. Never an issue... but they are crowded. Workers heading to San Pedro mostly.

It is just something we always did. Just to get the best of both and save a little money as well.

One last question - are reservations required for flights?? or can I just give off the ship, grab a taxi, and head to the airport? Worried about missing a flight time if we have tender issues. Thanks!

Yes, you can. Depends on how many is in your party though. I never seen the flight full but maybe others have. Flights run ever hour. We booked when we first got there before with no issue.

One last question - are reservations required for flights?? or can I just give off the ship, grab a taxi, and head to the airport? Worried about missing a flight time if we have tender issues. Thanks!

Make a reservation!!!! Tropic has a great web site you can book on....No guarantee of a plane without a reservation.

• 4 months later...

Hello, I was wondering if you had a tour company once you were there or if you did it on your own. If we go we would be on the Norwegian Pearl in December 2017 and in port from 8 AM to 5 PM. We would like to do the Sharks and Rays and snorkel at the Cora gardens.