Aix de Provence and Marseille

cruisingbarb

We had a Aix "on your own" tour with Princess from Toulon and were there around 4.5 hours. It was market day (Sat) so there were plenty to explore. Aix is a charming place and I would put all my time there vs trying to fit in 2 places. Where will you be starting?

I wondered if it was worth a 90 min bus ride there and back for just 5 hours but in the end it was a good day. We had excellent weather and the sites to see there was amazing. There are so many fountains including the main Fontaine de la Rotonde!

After referring to my notes, the bus left the port at 8a and headed directly to Aix. It was roughly 1 hr 10min. We were instructed to meet in front of the Apple store near main fountain for pick up at 2p. FYI: Apple store has wifi, don't need to go inside just hang out in the front. This was one of the largest stores I've seen and kinda eyesore for such a quaint area. So we were there from 9a-2p.

I'm pretty sure a walking map was provided however you can find maps online and print out. Rick Steve's Med cruise port book has short walks and maps of Aix which I did refer to but the entire historic area isn't all that huge.

It was Sat so the streets were alive with markets and food stalls. It didn't take much to wander back lanes and get lost. It was by doing this I came across a cool shop with a man hand making a clay plate. I ended up purchasing a lovely vase.

The time spent there was a real treat. On the way back most of the buses took a detour on a country road. Our guide was talking about some estate and view however it was hard for me to hear because of the accent and I was tired. I remember the bus stopping and they allowed whomever to get out for photos. We also did a detour near some beaches near the cruise port but I can't recall of what. We were back on ship at 4pm. As I said it was a beautiful Saturday and the sail away was one of the best! Everyone was out on their boats and the scenery was great!