Is rescheduling the same as canceling?

figi4

Our cruise is set for Apr 9 and it looks like my mom might not be healthy enough to go. We have two cabins, my family in one and her and my aunt in the other. We did get insurance (not through Carnival). My question is can we just reschedule to another cruise later in the year without being penalized?

If you are after your final payment date, you are technically in the cancellation period and therefore a change can not be considered "rescheduling".

Be glad you have the insurance - you'll be needing it. Hope all works out for the best with your ailing mother.

I too wish your mother the best and second the be glad you have insurance.

In the cruise industry, at least for Carnival, there really isn't such a thing as rescheduling. There is canceling and booked a different cruise. As SolidCruiser pointed out you are past final payment and the cancelation penalties become more costly the closer you get to sail date.

It's all a corporate accounting thing.

There is no such thing as a reschedule. There is only cancel and then followed by a book a new cruise.

Just an FYI

I truly hope you mother was able to travel at the time you booked and got insurance, otherwise, you could be SOL on the insurance thing.

The covered party MUST be in a condition whereas they can travel at the moment of purchase.

If you are after your final payment date, you are technically in the cancellation period and therefore a change can not be considered "rescheduling".

Be glad you have the insurance - you'll be needing it. Hope all works out for the best with your ailing mother.

Poster said April 9.:eek:

It's all a corporate accounting thing.

There is no such thing as a reschedule. There is only cancel and then followed by a book a new cruise.

Just an FYI

I truly hope you mother was able to travel at the time you booked and got insurance, otherwise, you could be SOL on the insurance thing.

The covered party MUST be in a condition whereas they can travel at the moment of purchase.

I would expect she was, otherwise why would one book a cruise. Besides, you have no idea what the "look back" period is on threadstarters insurance policy.

Thanks for the info. The problem she is having just started less than a week ago and pretty sure we picked the best policy available. Even though no one in our cabin is ill will we be able to cancel and file claim on our policy as well since we are part of a party and family?

Thanks for the info. The problem she is having just started less than a week ago and pretty sure we picked the best policy available. Even though no one in our cabin is ill will we be able to cancel and file claim on our policy as well since we are part of a party and family?

Usually, but you have to check your insurance policy to see what (and who) it covers.

I would expect she was, otherwise why would one book a cruise. Besides, you have no idea what the "look back" period is on threadstarters insurance policy.

I would expect that too. However, I have read of a couple of instances where people booked a cruise while someone was still in the hospital or recovering from something thinking it would be a celebration for when they were fully recovered.

Only to be furious with the cruise line and/or insurance company when the person didn't recover as predicted.

Most likely, but only your particular insurance provider can answer. all policies are slightly different.

Can you tell us which Insurer & Policy you have? Was Mom able to cruise/travel when you purchased the policy?

Ken