Best Salmon Fishing?

hc0321

My husband and I are cruising to Alaska in early June. Out of these ports, which would offer the best salmon fishing? (Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan). This is something that both of us really want to do while there. Thanks!

My husband and I are cruising to Alaska in early June. Out of these ports, which would offer the best salmon fishing? (Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, and Ketchikan). This is something that both of us really want to do while there. Thanks!

I did a LOT of research on this topic for my 2017 trip when I'll be taking my mom. We will be in Ketchikan on June 1, 2017 and chose to fish there. We will try for king salmon though we know it could very well be more about the experience than the catch. I was able to find a charter service through TripAdvisor that would allow for just a 2 person charter which was a huge bonus for us. (I contacted several vendors and landed on the one that suited us best and could accommodate our needs).

For us, the expense was worth the experience of fishing in Alaska and the possibility of catching something. Some people might not think so. Also, if you want to fish for halibut, the season is May-Sept.

IF you were doing a one way trip northbound and would be on the Kenai peninsula in June, there might be more options. I know there is an early run of sockeye in June on the Kenai river because that's when and where I'd originally wanted to fish.

I can only advise to do lots of research and have your expectations set appropriately. There are several threads on fishing in Alaska here on these boards which are very helpful.

Here are some other links that might help as well:

http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-fish-in-alaska

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSport.main

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/en/Things-To-Do/Sportfishing-and-Guiding

I hope you find just the right trip for you and your husband.:)

Thank you for your help! We are leaning towards Ketchikan. Hopefully it will be a good time. Looking at using Baranof Fishing Excursions. Sounds like you have spent a lot of time looking into making your trip a great one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will echo: Ketchikan! I've fished there a few times in both June and August and had great luck. You may be too early for King--my understanding is the run usually starts mid-June, but haven't checked in a couple years, so am not certain. Charter operators work very hard to make sure you have a good experience and actually catch. I just booked my fourth Alaska cruise and will most definitely be salmon fishing in Ketchikan. :D:D

IMG_1401.jpg

I will echo: Ketchikan! I've fished there a few times in both June and August and had great luck. You may be too early for King--my understanding is the run usually starts mid-June, but haven't checked in a couple years, so am not certain. Charter operators work very hard to make sure you have a good experience and actually catch. I just booked my fourth Alaska cruise and will most definitely be salmon fishing in Ketchikan. :D:D

IMG_1401.jpg

Quilting Cruiser,

Just wondering...if we are lucky enough to catch something, what would you budget for processing the fish?

Quilting Cruiser,

Just wondering...if we are lucky enough to catch something, what would you budget for processing the fish?

Quite a lot! But, IMHO, it's worth every penny because it's the best salmon you'll ever eat and there's a lot to be said for simply knowing that you caught it yourself. :) It's been a few years, but IIRC it was just shy of $200 for the processing and shipping of three salmon. I didn't catch any King (:() so I had it all smoked and ended up with about 14 pounds or so of meat, I believe. If you look at the review in my signature, I believe I posted about it and there are photos of how it was packaged. That will certainly have more accurate numbers than I can recall from memory.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I recently booked a salmon fishing trip in Ketchikan for our upcoming July cruise for 5 of us, including my elderly parents. I looked into Baronoff but they were very pricey. Ended up booking with Oasis Alaska Charters (found them through TripAdvisor). So far I am very happy with them, both price wise and response. I like that we will be taking a taxi to them and they aren't in the port with everyone else.

I recently booked a salmon fishing trip in Ketchikan for our upcoming July cruise for 5 of us, including my elderly parents. I looked into Baronoff but they were very pricey. Ended up booking with Oasis Alaska Charters (found them through TripAdvisor). So far I am very happy with them, both price wise and response. I like that we will be taking a taxi to them and they aren't in the port with everyone else.

This is the company I booked with for next year! I'll be interested to know if you enjoy your experience. So far, they have been excellent at providing information and answering questions, and I LOVE that it will just be our group on the boat (there's just 2 of us Mom and me, so it's hard to find a charter willing to do that). Please report back any pros or cons about the service.