Snorkel/swim north of the cruise port?

jbobst

I can't remember what thread it was, but I thought I had read where some people had mentioned that north of the cruise terminal there was some decent snorkeling in Costa Maya. I've been looking at pictures I've taken when visiting that port before and comparing it to the satellite image of the area. I see there is a nice looking cove just north of the cruise terminal and it looks like a path is cut through the trees paralleling the beach. Had anyone ever walk over there and is it even accessible? (see photos below for better idea of where I am talking about)

What I would really like to do is just leave the cruise terminal area on the north side and actually snorkel/swim to that cove (or even just walk along the beach to the cove). I am guessing that because it looks very desolated on the photos, that this is probably a closed off area, but would like to know if this is possible. Seems like a great little self excursion for an hour or two and then I can head back to the ship for lunch. Thoughts?

Costa%20Maya%203_zpsfwblzmsr.jpg

Looking off the ship at the cove (cruise terminal is to the left of this picture just out of view)

costamaya2_zpswduilelv.jpg

Area between the cruise terminal and the cove (taken from the docked ship)

costamaya1_zpsidcpo8ip.jpg

You're thinking of Uvero Beach Club. Uvero is beyond Maya Beach Gardens and El Pacer, if you look on google maps, further north than your pictures.

The inlet you see is Puerta Bravo. The ruined structures and nice sandy beach directly next to the port are the old Cha Chi facilities. There used to be a "hole in the fence" just outside the port complex where you could crawl through and go to Cha Chi, but it's been taken away, re-fenced and over grown. And part of the area is now the waterpark. As you come down the long pier to the port complex, you'll now see a high retainer wall with no trespassing signs on it.

Not saying you can't find a way over there, just that it's not as easy as it looks and there's nothing there so you'll do so at your own risk. You might, and I haven't explored the route, walk out of the cruise port and head down the main street with the median strip tot he first turning circle where the statue is and turn right go to a street called Isaac, turn right and go to it's end and find the old "main" entrance road to Cha Chi. Longer way to go.And then you might get blocked at every turn. There's been development since the Google Satellite pictures were taken.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it will be tough to get too if even possible. But, after reading some information and review, I think going to Almaplena for the day is going to be our choice of activity. It looks and sounds really good!