Bar where Pina Colada was invented?

gizmo

I have been there but can't remember the name of this bar.

It is in Old San Juan and they claim they invented the Pina Colada.

It is down the street from the church.

Anyone know the name of the place ?

:D The Pina Colada was probably created in 1954 by bartender Ramón (Monchito) Marrero at the Caribe Hilton Hotel in Puerto Rico, but its popularity soared during this time and soon made it to my stomach yeats later.

I made a good one last night. CAPT MORGAN parrot bay coconut rum.. with a coco-lopez cream of coconut. dont use coconut milk....... and pinapple juice... and a hand full of fresh or canned pinnapples makes a diff.:o

Speaking of Pina Coladas - If you click on the Barrachina's website - there is an offer for a coupon for a free Pina Colada. I did it and entered my E-mail - sure enough about two days later my coupon arrived for me to print out. Can't beat a free drink in San Juan - we were planning to stop there anyway.

Kaye

Where did you see the offer for the free Pina Colada? I looked all through their site. I finally filled out the page that said "contact us". We'll see what happens. If that's not correct please let me know. We're going on the 11/26/05 Veendam cruise. What are you going on? Thanks, Kathy

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton last winter and had plenty of the Pina Coladas, they are awesome! They claim the pina colada was invented here. After my cruise I had to waste time before my flight home so I took a cab to Old San Juan and stored all my luggage at the Barrachina restaurant (which is free, you just tip them) and walked around the city. When I went back to pick up my stuff I saw the sign saying they invented the pina colada so I had to have one. These were really good too however they were already prepared in those frozen drink dispensers like a slushee machine. The bar in the restaurant is pretty cool, they have a nice open air courtyard with fountains etc. In my opinion the Caribe Hiltons were better, I wonder who actually made the first one?

Archived