GEM wifi question.

fonzw0rth

Howdy folks.

First time cruising on Norwegian and I'm leaving on April 11th.

I was told that I can not connect my phone to the wifi. That I can only connect either a tablet or laptop.

This definitely doesn't sound right to me.

can anyone clear this up.

Thanks folks.

Cheers.

That's not right.

You can connect with your phone, but to avoid unnecessary roaming onto the ship's cell tower, you will want to put your phone into Airplane Mode, then turn wifi on.

Agreed. My iPhone worked perfectly, except it signed me off a fair bit... So, I signed myself back in.

Thanks!

yeah that's what I thought.

I was on the phone with one of the customer service reps. and that's what they told me. I knew that can't be true so I didn't argue but I wanted to double check.

Yes, turning your roaming data off on your phone prevents accidental data charges on the ship and at a foreign port. Turning your phone to airplane mode will prevent inadvertent calls coming in at international rates.

We always leave our roaming data off, but phones on in case of emergency calls from home.

We sail on NCL all the time and always have a wifi plan. You MUST log on to the wifi, use it, and log off (if you have a timed plan). You can share that plan between as many devices as you want, but only one device can be logged on at a time. In our case, we have two personal phones and two work phones, and use the wifi to check email periodically during our cruise.