Royal Caribbean snorkeling excursions

Piggeldy

As St Thomas will be our first US territory port after a TA (which in 2013 meant: immigration) we are planning to do an excursion through the cruise line. In 2013 we chose a full day (6.5 hrs) tour which we enjoyed (Caribbean Sail to Christmas & Honeymoon Coves) but with the extended immigration that meant we didn't have breakfast (and no time to change into swimwear) and I tend to get hangry. Plus rough ride to Buck Island without having eaten, not good (thankfully they had crackers).

For this year we are considering a shorter tour but would like to go snorkeling again. I am down to three (from eight, I am actually quite proud of myself):

• All Inclusive St. John Beach & Snorkel - STE8

I am aware that you can do St. John on your own for cheaper. However, as I don't expect to be off the ship early (if we are, great... if immigration takes hours again I want to be prepared though). Is the boat ride for the excursion "private" or is it the same boat you'd take if you arranged your own tour to St. John?

This goes to Trunk Bay which I understand has a Snorkel Trail? How is snorkeling at Trunk Bay?

• Buck Island Catamaran Two-Stop Sail and Snorkel - STO9 / Buck Island Sail & Snorkel Featuring National Geographic Snorkeler - STV1

The description for these are identical (plus same price, same duration), STV1 is listed as "Featuring National Geographic Snorkeler". What is up with "National Geographic Snorkeler"? Is there different snorkeling equipment on the trip or is it just a 10% voucher to buy your own gear on board? Better guide?

This lists a "1½-hour guided swim and snorkel" at Buck Island - has anyone done this tour and can comment on this guided snorkeling? Buck Island was really crowded when we went and while we did see a few turtles and a stingray there was no guidance at all and we didn't really know where to look.

Is this a Two-Stop, as STO9 suggests (there is nothing about a second stop in the description) or not? I assume not?

• Caribbean 'FastCat' 2-Island Snorkeling Safari and Beach Getaway - STL5

This lists Buck Island and Honeymoon Beach on Water Island for snorkeling. Which I guess is not identical to Honeymoon Cove where the Caribbean Sail goes? Or is it?

Any insight (especially concerning STO9/STV1) would be appreciated :D