Alaska or Grand Canyon

jonsmom

The Grand Canyon is at a higher elevation (7,000 ft.) than some areas of the SW USA and usually has snow in March. Even early April can be very cool. Late April and May are delightful months for visiting the Grand Canyon, as are late September and early October. For a special birthday I would choose the historic El Tovar hotel - very nice, fine restaurants, and a spectacular setting with the best of views.

For when you do visit the Grand Canyon, PNW's advice is excellent.

I've lived in Alaska for 45 years and have visited the Grand Canyon more times than I can count (both south and north rim).

Still, my home state is magnificent. In fact, my wife and I are taking an UnCruise trip in May from Seattle to Juneau which allows us to meander through the beautiful Alaskan Southeast. No comparison.

I'd definitely do the Alaska cruise first. We've booked our first for July after 7 in the Carribbean. One of the reasons that convinced me to book was one review I read that pointed out that the scenery and glaciers continue to change and who knows what it will be like in another 10-20 years.

Before I got into cruising I would take 2-3 10+ day camping trips a year, heading North one time, South the next. I've visited Grand Canyon many times and it's spectacular each time, but I would stay a minimum of 3 days there. Trips in this area would also include Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and more. I absolutely love the Red Rock desert.

Alaska had always been a dream camping trip for me but even from Northern CA it is still 3000 miles one way. One year my parents suggested a cruise and I went thinking it would be a great way to finally see Alaska. I ended up falling in love with both Alaska and cruising and now repeat pretty much every year.

My answer to you question would be now I would choose the Alaska cruise so you can see the sights and still have the soft bed and be pampered, when I was younger I liked the total immersion of the camping trip. Both are more than worth you time & money to visit.

I have a big birthday next year and would like to celebrate with a great vacation.

I was leaning toward the Grand Canyon but now.....an Alaska cruise is in my sights.

Thoughts? Is there even a comparison, meaning am I comparing apples to apples.

Thanks All,

Joanne

I've been to both & would choose the cruise. (Unless you are super athletic/hyper camper & plan to hike into the canyon.)

I've done an Alaska cruise three times (will be four times this summer) and I've been to the Grand Canyon twice (once at the West Rim and once at the South Rim).

I would always choose Alaska over the Grand Canyon, hands down. They're both amazing, but Alaska is...indescribable.

If you decide on the Grand Canyon, I would definitely tack on a few more national parks, like Zion up in Utah.

I agree that each has its highlights depending on "how you do it". I have done both in unusual ways. The first time I went to Alaska I did an inclusive snowmobile trip along the Iditarod race for 10 days. When I did the Canyon I did an inclusive 10 day rafting trip thru the canyon. Of course this was approx. 20 yrs ago and things have changed. Have been returning back to Alaska since starting with 2 weeks each summer and now do 6 weeks in summer and sometimes 2 weeks in winter also. Have never done a cruise but have done various ferry trips. My nephew lives there and we travel all over fishing. Alaska is a great state and whenever you see something great you turn a corner and see something more spectacular! Just can't get enough of Alaska and will be back up there from June to August. Good luck with your decision and if possible I would do both!!!!:):):)

I don't have an answer, I just wanted to throw Hawaii into the mix! I love Hawaii!

:D:D

Yar, Hawaii is gorgeous. I still prefer Alaska, but Hawaii is a close second.

You just have to get out of Honolulu. That place is too commercial.