In Need of Some Nassau Help Please

Valskate86

Hello!

We'll be on the Disney Dream in November (a group of 5 late 20s early 30s girls). Nassau is a port I have not experienced before. I've explored some of the ship sponsored excursions and a lot are Atlantis which I think is out of our price range and not really what we want to do. There is a glass bottom boat that we're thinking about.

I guess what I really need to know is, is it necessary to be on an excursion to do a low key beach and straw market/town shopping day? Are beaches, local eateries, straw market, etc within walking distance to the pier? I've read some safety alerts for Nassau recently as well. So, is it safe to be essentially on our own?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We don't do beaches, so others will have to comment on them, but as far as shopping, stores, the Straw Market, all are within a few blocks of where the ship docks.

FYI, the Straw Market is really not the place you want to go for souvenirs etc. It is a block of booths and stalls of pushy people trying to get you to buy the stuff that they import from China. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cheers

Len

Junkanoo beach is within sight of the cruise ships and there is no cost. They have beverages and food for sale. Just exit the port and walk to your right, go around Senior Frogs and the big hotel (I forget the name) and when you get back to the water you will be at Junkanoo beach. We do it all the time. Only about a 10-15 minute walk.

I agree with others that shopping is aplenty at the straw market....but very high pressure and stressful!