Eating with diabetes

My favorite dessert on and off ship is pretty low carb, some fresh berries- raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. :)

Are fresh berries always available on the ship? I haven't seen them very often except for strawberries.

If you want to drink: I carried on a bag with diet Oceanspray cranberry juice singles and diet tonic. (Royals guest services said this was permissible) I poured them into to a glass and the bar was happy to do shots of my choice in them to save carbs. Also, bloody Mary's work well with my sugars. I know many do diet coke and rum (or something else) but I don't drink soda, so this was a great alternative.

Are fresh berries always available on the ship? I haven't seen them very often except for strawberries.

I have asked after dinner in the MDR, and they have always given me a dish of berries.

We are going on a back to back on the Freedom in 2 weeks. What do people that have diabetes do with their food choices to maintain their blood sugar reading? Do you eat just salads and NO sweets ,pastas, and ice creams ? Or do you give your self more insulin and cheat? Its hard after paying all that money and trying to not have a good time. I do not drink so that is not a problem. I do love to eat and I have a sweet tooth and I am 75 years old. Please give me some good ideas please. Thank you .:confused::confused:

I know you are talking about sweets and such but I wanted to also add when looking at the menu (either the night of or the night before) take a look at the different veges on all the dishes, and ask for a side of the veges you like. Rather than just getting 2 asparagus, carrots, or broccoli, they will make you a nice mixture.

Edited by LilBlackDress

I am diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 (diet controlled and no medication as yet).

When on a cruise, I 'll try and follow the same diet routine as at home but I tend to indulge ;) but just a little ... and in moderation.

As far as drinks are concerned, I only drink ice water with a slice of lime.

Great words of wisdom from so many! I recently cruised for the first time since being diagnosed as diabetic last August. When I was diagnosed, I decided I would do my best to reverse the diabetes and, with help (doctor, diabetes nutritionist and fitness trainer), I was able to enjoy my recent cruise.

Making good food choices is fairly easy when counting carbohydrate exchanges. Exercise is a MUST on a cruise: this last cruise I was able to take the ship's stairs 80% of the time (elevator for distances higher than 8 decks) and worked out in the gym almost every day. My glucose readings continued in the normal range (both fasting and post-prandial) and, despite my enjoying LOTS of great food, I LOST 2 pounds!!! :o

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Enjoy your cruise!