Formal Nights on Port Intensive Mediterranean

ltcal94

Agree. We never pack for more than 7 days. It's mix and match and repeat. If something gets dirty, the laundry service or self service is the answer.

Shoes...I take a neutral pair that I can wear with evening outfits. My heels for formal night are sandal type and take little room. DH wears a tie pair for all MDR nights. No more dress vs smart casual shoes for him. He doesn't wear jeans so the shoes work for all slacks. Trust me when I say the shoes are not going to be important to anyone...except you.

I've been on 2 med cruises and with the heat and long port stops, people did not dress formally much at all and by the time of the third formal then much more casual. Like they were tired of it. There are very few port days so port stops became formal nights. I'd much rather spend time at the ports than rush back to dress up. And other passengers reflected that too.

People dressed well on all nights - just not formal. And rarely a tux to be seen. Just jackets. The occasional tie.

Edited by Pushka

• 4 months later...
We are doing Rome to Barcelona in June on Royal. You will find a lot more Europeans on board, especially Spanish and Italians as well as us Brits.

We do like to dress for dinner every night, especially on formal nights. Its hot in summer, so cool dresses or capris, linen trousers and sleeveless tops for ladies, dinner suit or dark suit for men on formal nights with linen or chino style trousers and collared shirt on other nights. As previously stated continentals eat late, often as late as 10pm at home. Room service is good when you're tired and you do get tired when sightseeing. Have a wonderful cruise and look forward to reading your review.

Hi! I'm on the Royal next week from Barcelona to Rome, and I'm wondering what nights were formal nights. I am trying to see if it is worth it to bring formal wear or rent a tux for my son. Do you know?

I concur with the above. Mediterranean and European cruises tend to be more formal and dine later. And not just on formal nights. Passengers dress up more on the other nights too. It is definitely not a Carib demographic. Not over the top, but just more elegant attire.[/quote

I think this is the answer to your question.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

I concur with the above. Mediterranean and European cruises tend to be more formal and dine later. And not just on formal nights. Passengers dress up more on the other nights too. It is definitely not a Carib demographic. Not over the top, but just more elegant attire.[/quote

I think this is the answer to your question.

Tony

On our 2013 Baltic cruise and 2014 Med cruises we ate early and never had to wait for Anytime dining. On the Regal in 2014 the Anytime DR was only half full at 6:00, even on formal night.

Hi! I'm on the Royal next week from Barcelona to Rome, and I'm wondering what nights were formal nights. I am trying to see if it is worth it to bring formal wear or rent a tux for my son. Do you know?

We were on a 14-day med cruise last May on the Emerald. We had 3 formal nights. Guests were mostly from UK, having sailed out of Southampton. Almost all of them wore formal, men in tux, ladies on long gown. It was the norm for them, but not necessarily required.

The formal nights on our cruise were on Monday and Wednesday, or basically the second port day and the sea day. It was the same for both weeks. I also agree people are better dressed than on a typical Caribbean cruise and although I did bring my tux , I would not have felt out of place without it. One other observation , people tended to get dressed up later , likely due to the port intensive itinerary and also the high ratio of Europeans to US guests.

Edited by ltcal94