chip and pin debit cards

Harry3534

Hi there,maybe this question has been answered before but I have searched to no avail!! We are going on the Vista for an eastern med cruise in August. This will be our first time on Carnival. Can you use UK debit cards onboard or is it credit card only, I dont want to be carrying round lots of cash for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.

This has been discussed here previously as some have posted their accounts have been tied up for as long as 10 days after the cruise ends.

Unless you keep a substantial balance in the account to which your debit card is linked, perhaps you should consider getting a credit card, then paying off your balance at the conclusion of your travels.

Besides, most banks offer much better consumer protection on credit cards than on debit cards. I would never consider using a debit card on International travel, always a credit card.

yea that's what i was thinking. unless you are travelling in a pair and you can use one debit card soley for on board and one for other expenses - meaning the hold the cruiseline place on the card isn't an issue

purchase bank debit gift cards (mastercard or visa)....they work wonderfully to secure your s and s account and you avoid the whole mess about cash...and if you have any left, you aren't too bothered about any "holds" that may be there for a few days (I have never had any problem with this method).

Is everyone answering sure that the UK banking laws are the same as US? I'm not sure if they're the same or not and wouldn't give an answer unless I knew for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi there,maybe this question has been answered before but I have searched to no avail!! We are going on the Vista for an eastern med cruise in August. This will be our first time on Carnival. Can you use UK debit cards onboard or is it credit card only, I dont want to be carrying round lots of cash for obvious reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Debit cards are the last option I would consider for an onboard account. Credit card or cash are much better options due to complicated rules that are not in your favor related to debit cards.

I believe you will be able to use a UK issued debit card onboard a Carnival ship however you should check with your bank.

My answer is based on me having no problem using my US debit card while in London (and other countries overseas) so I think the answer is that the card has to be on one of the networks that the ATM is tied to. I'm going to look to see if I can find anything in the FAQs which address the networks used by the on-board ATMs.

Update: best I can find ref onboard ATMs is here: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/money-and-gratuities/~/financial-access/c/485

Edited by SATXLady

One really must check with International travel and cash section of your bank and maybe even have them get with Carnival..they can suggest foreign banks as well; that will be of assistance. Have several money options and know how money can be wired to you. Also be sure to have enough travel and medical insurance. All IMHO. I live in US and have not traveled abroad beyond Canada in quite some time.

My US bank helped me with a French bank and all this on an extended France stay and Europe travel following summer quite a while ago.

Edited by sjn911