Gratuitites

Okay.....I am a bit confused.

When we booked our upcoming October cruises with NCL (Jade TA departing Barcelona Oct. 30th, and then it's western Caribbean on Nov. 13th), we got to choose between 4 or 5 special offers: the Drink Pkg., Credits for Shore Excursions, etc.....but ONE of the choices -- and the one we CHOSE -- was the Gratuities being taken care of by NCL.

Am I reading this right....now they DON'T charge gratuities, but an 18% Service Charge?? 18% of WHAT? Our cruise fare?

By the way, we booked this in April of 2015, if that makes a difference.

Edited by terri910

From what I understand the service charge is the gratuities. If you want to tip more to someone you can. If you have a Butler or Concierge, you tip them additional.

If you get the UBP, the service charge on that covers the tips for the bartenders, servers and everyone that works within the bar service.

Same goes for the UDP, the service charge goes for the waitresses, etc at the pay restaurants.

Again, if you want to give someone a special tip for great service you can.

Am I reading this right....now they DON'T charge gratuities, but an 18% Service Charge?? 18% of WHAT? Our cruise fare?

By the way, we booked this in April of 2015, if that makes a difference.

It makes a difference, in a way because back then they were not making customers pay this 18% on the price of the promotional beverage and dining packages (UBP and UDP). But in another way it makes no difference because you didn't choose either of those perks, anyway.

They still charge a fixed service charge for all passengers 3 and over. That is now $13.50 per person per day. It was less when you booked, $12.95, so you are entitled to this lower rate. But, since you chose the free gratuities perk, you don't have to pay anything anyway (for the first two passengers in your cabin).

For now you don't have to worry about any 18% service charge. But during your cruise, if you buy any drinks or go to a specialty restaurant, or get a spa treatment, 18% will automatically be added to your bill.

It makes a difference, in a way because back then they were not making customers pay this 18% on the price of the promotional beverage and dining packages (UBP and UDP). But in another way it makes no difference because you didn't choose either of those perks, anyway.

They still charge a fixed service charge for all passengers 3 and over. That is now $13.50 per person per day. It was less when you booked, $12.95, so you are entitled to this lower rate. But, since you chose the free gratuities perk, you don't have to pay anything anyway (for the first two passengers in your cabin).

For now you don't have to worry about any 18% service charge. But during your cruise, if you buy any drinks or go to a specialty restaurant, or get a spa treatment, 18% will automatically be added to your bill.

We chose wisely, then! We are the only two passengers in our stateroom.

If others in our group chose the Drink Pkg. or Dining Pkg. are they now going to be subject to that 18% service charge?

If others in our group chose the Drink Pkg. or Dining Pkg. are they now going to be subject to that 18% service charge?

No, unless they rebook to get a more recent deal, the original terms of the April 2015 promo will continue to apply. (You can find the terms that were in effect between 4/7/15 and 4/30/15 here.)

The comments that say DSC, tips, and gratuities are different are not in line with the terms NCL uses to describe these three. NCL uses the three terms as the same thing, and when they offered prepaid gratuities as a booking bonus, it WAS the DSC they paid.

I would like to know where some are getting the idea that the DSC does not cover gratuities, because that is what NCL paid when I selected the gratuities as a booking perk.

The comments that say DSC, tips, and gratuities are different are not in line with the terms NCL uses to describe these three. NCL uses the three terms as the same thing, and when they offered prepaid gratuities as a booking bonus, it WAS the DSC they paid.

I would like to know where some are getting the idea that the DSC does not cover gratuities, because that is what NCL paid when I selected the gratuities as a booking perk.

NCL is very clear that the Splash Academy staff, concierge, butlers and bar staff were never included in the

DSC. A percentage tip has always been added to drinks ordered from the bar, but recently the amount was increased to 18%. They also added the 18% to beverage packages and dining packages, as well as specialty dining outside of a package. Confused yet?

Basically the prepaid gratuities doesn't cover anything that incurs the 18% tip. Unless you're in a suite. Then the rules change again. Bottom line, there are so many different combinations of perks that people have booked, you need to read your contract and see what applies to you. If you want your prepaid gratuities to cover all your tips, eat in complementary dining rooms or the buffet, and don't order any drinks that incur a charge.

NCL is very clear that the Splash Academy staff' date=' concierge, butlers and bar staff were never included in the

DSC. A percentage tip has always been added to drinks ordered from the bar, but recently the amount was increased to 18%. They also added the 18% to beverage packages and dining packages, as well as specialty dining outside of a package. Confused yet?

Basically the prepaid gratuities doesn't cover anything that incurs the 18% tip. Unless you're in a suite. Then the rules change again. Bottom line, there are so many different combinations of perks that people have booked, you need to read your contract and see what applies to you. If you want your prepaid gratuities to cover all your tips, eat in complementary dining rooms or the buffet, and don't order any drinks that incur a charge.[/quote']

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I was referring to the numerous posts that say the DSC is not gratuities or tips. NCL offered gratuities as a booking bonus, but they paid the DSC.

I was not talking about the 18%.

I always thought they were different. DSC was just that and Gratuities was Gratuities. Even NCL's website states something about NCL does not require gratuities.

However.....

When they ran the promo that included 'FREE GRATUITIES' which NCL Paid for me and I didn't have to pay the DSC, I changed my mind.

The problem is NCL says one thing, then says something else, and does even something else. They didn't give a promo that included 'FREE DSC'. It clearly said, 'FREE GRATUITIES'.

That should explain it all. Period.

Of course, anyone can tip more should they feel the desire.

Harriet