Gratuitites

We are in a forward Penthouse on the Jewel and 62 days away from our cruise. I just tried to prepay our service charges via my NCL account. I get this message "We are unable to display this option at this time." Is there a reason why I can't prepay?

We are in a forward Penthouse on the Jewel and 62 days away from our cruise. I just tried to prepay our service charges via my NCL account. I get this message "We are unable to display this option at this time." Is there a reason why I can't prepay?

I just paid mine online last night for our cruise at the end of the month.

No, but that happens all the time - NCL's website is notorious of glitches like that. It might be that you won't be able to prepay online at all but you need to call your TA or NCL to do so.

We had that glitch pop up once or twice when the window to prepay first opened. Give it a day or two and you should be able to process the payments.

Trying not to hijack the original post...but I've tried for the last month to do the prepay and it won't let me. No biggie thought as I will continue to try and if all else fails I know they will get me at the end of the cruise. :D

If you really want to pre-pay, just call them (or your TA if you have one), as Demonyte said. I'm not sure what causes the "option unavailable" error message on MyNCL, but it is a very common complaint.

For the OP: For a small number of passengers in particular situations, pre-paying can be less expensive than waiting to pay on board. But for the vast majority of passengers, the daily rate is exactly the same whether you pay in advance or on board.

if you booked after August 1, 2015, and your booking is in USD, your fixed service charge is $13.50 per person (over 3 years old) per day ($15.50 for suites), no matter when you pay it.

A more logical soultion is to tip in cash and apply for reimbursement of the DSC.

That way, you know who is getting your tips and you can determine the amount.

There is absolutely nothing logical about that. The DSC has NOTING to do with tipping. If you choose to tip that is one issue 100% aside from the DSC. DSC <> tips.

Are the Gratuities the same price if you pay them advance or at the end of the cruise?

Thanks

Well seeing as there is no pre-set amount for gratuities and it is 100% up to you how much to pay, the question is moot. The only way to pepay gratuities is to buy OBC and then just charge the gratuities along the way to your on board account.

I always used to tip extra to the bar staff and specialty restaurant staff but have to admit since the 18% went into effect last cruise I only extra tip the Stewart. This trip i am paying $200 gratuity, $200 UBP gratuity, and $30 dining gratuity. Sorry but $430 for tips for a week is more than enough.

I always used to tip extra to the bar staff and specialty restaurant staff but ... Sorry but $430 for tips for a week is more than enough.

Now, this - ;) wait - possibly double that for a family of 4, depending on the extra freebies taken/declined. Wow, exactly what one of my niece said @ Sunday brunch earlier to us - and, her kids are NOT getting the soda package, nor the juice package, etc. (Hey, uncle -----, would you like to "co-sponsor" part of our vacation, I know you aren't that rich but the kids are not happy ... yeah, sure. Go ask ----- )

But, they are still going to the kid's place & need to take care of the camp counselors, and, the spa people if she's going to do xyz during the week (which she might skip this time) ... that's more tipping, service charges and gratuities on top. This might be exaggerated, but ... think for a moment.

Ka Ching (sounds) :D

Edited by mking8288

If you're Canadian it could make a huge difference when you pay. We paid online early because when we booked out cruise the exchange was $1.11 by paying online that's the rate we get. If we wait until we are on the ship it will be closer to $1.40

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Wait - do we have to tip the kids club staff? I have been on 8 Disney cruises and I have never heard of this.

Don't know how Disney handles their things but with NCL staff members that only provide services to limited subset of passengers are not covered by DSC.

From NCL's FAQ:

"Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

If you're Canadian it could make a huge difference when you pay. We paid online early because when we booked out cruise the exchange was $1.11 by paying online that's the rate we get. If we wait until we are on the ship it will be closer to $1.40

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly! Those dealing with exchange rates should carefully watch the NCL rate and prepay (or not) accordingly.

Wait - do we have to tip the kids club staff? I have been on 8 Disney cruises and I have never heard of this.

You don't have to, but they are not included in the daily service charge. This will be explicitly stated in documents, you should plan accordingly. Fwiw the concierge and butlers are not included in the DSC either, so when we have been in a suite we have tipped them separately as well.