Gem balcony vs mini suite

On Jewel class ships (like Gem) the mini-suite has more room in the living area, a curtain between the bed and sofa and IMO better laid out bathroom.

The location on deck 11 is also a plus in my books but one needs to be extra careful on cabin selection as there are several noisy venues above (gym, galleys, pool deck).

My personal favourites are category MB minis under the Italian restaurant dining area (for example cabins from circa 11628 backwards) - close to aft elevators, not under the overhang and very easy trip to the buffet to fetch snacks, early morning coffee and croissant, etc.

I've stayed in both a balcony stateroom and a mini suite on the Gem and the big difference I found is the mini suite has a bathtub. The balcony room has only a shower. The mini suite is larger but the balcony room was fine for two people.

I know the balcony and the mini-suites on the Jewel class ships very well. For me, I prefer the mini suites...they are worth up to 200-400 dollars more (for 2) than a balcony room total in my opinion...only if you plan to stay more in your cabin. If you only want a room to sleep, change, and shower in...then go with balcony. If you want a room with more room, bigger couch, bigger bathroom, toilet area, and room decor, then a mini is worth paying a bit more.

coka

It may not matter to most, but the bathtubs have very high sides and narrow bottoms. Really hard on creaky knees and fairly uncomfortable to stand in to shower. I used the spa showers mostly. 11600 is right under the shuffleboard game outside the teen club. It can get noisy up there.

It may not matter to most, but the bathtubs have very high sides and narrow bottoms. Really hard on creaky knees and fairly uncomfortable to stand in to shower.

Excellent point; I agree. It's a very high obstacle, especially on a moving ship. Plus, the tub is pretty useless as a tub, unless for little kids I guess.

Should also point out (since this gets asked so often) that mini suites are not suites and get no suite perks. They are really deluxe balconies.

For just 2 people I would probably not pay extra for a mini suite. But for 3-4 in a room, I think it is worth it. The extra space and curtain to separate sleeping areas are big pluses to me, and if traveling with kids the bathtub is also very useful.