First Time Cruiser on Getaway in Studio, looking for help!

nutocruzing

Hello there!

I just booked a 7 day cruise on the Norwegian Getaway June 5-12/16 in a studio cabin. I am so excited because I’ve only ever been on 20+ year old ships and the Getaway is literally twice the size of the last ship I was on (Carnival Paradise)! This will be my first time cruising with NCL, and my first time cruising solo. I would love to get some opinions on the must-do/sees and tips for solo cruisers. I’d also love some feedback on my planned excursions to date.

A few specific questions:

• Does the “corkage fee” for bringing wine/champagne aboard NCL cruises get charged automatically as you board?

• Is the Ice Bar worth it? I’ve read that the $20 entrance fee gets you two drinks so that sounds like it’s more or less on par with what the drinks would be elsewhere on the ship regardless, am I missing something?

• Do I really have to make reservations for everything before I board? Firstly, I’d love to have the ability to get to know some people either groups in my age range or other solo travelers to do things together. Secondly, the Illusionarium ticket price seems pretty high and I thought I read that there is a price reduction for the first night once on board. Are there ever reductions for extra fee activities?

• Speaking of trying to meet other solo travelers, I’ve heard about the solo meet and greets and about “sign-up sheets” in the studio lounge. Can anyone who’s traveled in a studio cabin tell me a bit more about this process? Is it easy to meet people?

• What are some other must-do or highly recommended activities (for example atrium shows, trivia, dance classes etc.)?

As far as excursions, so far I’m looking at West End Beach in Roatan, Blue Kay in Costa Maya and Paradise Beach in Cozumel. I have my own snorkeling gear and from what I’ve seen it looks like some of these beaches have pretty decent snorkeling.

I haven’t decided what to do about Belize yet. I like to try to do the ports fairly cheaply. First of all, what more do you really need than sun and sand? Second of all, the excursions often seem to be way marked up for cruise ship tourists. Any recommendations for Belize? I’ve considered cave tubing but tbh it’s a bit more expensive from what I’ve seen than I’d like to pay. Is the cave tubing worth it, or would you recommend something else for someone on a budget? If I were to stay on board the ship, are the waterslides, rock climbing wall and ropes course open during port days?

Thanks so much in advance!

I did the Ice Bar with friends on the Breakaway a while back. It was fun but unimpressive. The room is rather small so only a few people are let in at a time. There were no real sculptures and one or two ice seats. May not be the best solo activity but is fun with a group. Be sure to take bites out of your ice glass :)

If you are ever in Vegas go to the Ice Bar there, they are way cooler with larger rooms, decorations and ice sculptures.

I can answer some of of your questions:

(1) Yes, there is a corkage fee- I never wine on board, lots to drink including in the solo Lounge.

(2) Ice Bar is worth it once. Ask in the Solo Lounge, and maybe they can make special arrangements.

(3) I always travel in a Studio when I am on The Getaway. I never pre book anything. In the early evenings (6 P.M.), there are gatherings in the Solo Lounge for those traveling single and not just those who are in the Studios. Lots of events, dinners get planned that way. It is very easy to meet people.

(4) Another way to meet those on your cruise is to become active in the Roll Call for your cruise. There might be others on the Roll Call that are also traveling solo.

(5) Every evening, the Freestyle Daily will be delivered to your cabin with all the events, times and places scheduled for the next day. Pick and choose which ones you would like.

The important thing to remember is this is YOUR vacation, you can do as much or as little as you wish.

Enjoy!!!! The Getaway is a wonderful ship and with great staff. I will be heading back to Her in December.

Mandy

I haven't been on the GA but I understand the studio experience is similar on the larger ships. I sailed solo last month on the Epic. There was a solo gathering each day at 6:00 p.m. in the Studio Lounge. We had a cruise director, assistant, and bar tender at the meetings. The CD arranged dinners and shows for the solos who wanted to attend together. There was always a sign-up sheet in the lounge where you could find out where the dinner was for that evening and what time. It would also say if a show had been reserved. It's really simple and easy. Just put your name on the sheet if you want to go.

The meeting at 6:00 is a good place to meet people. Also, have you joined your roll call? I went to the first solo gathering, but I'd met so many people through my roll call that I didn't go to any of the solo dinners. :D

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Have not cruised GA, but had a studio on my transatlantic on the Epic.

The first night our Studio guide introduced herself and told us about different things going on and that we could sign up to go as a group of solos. Every night we had groups signing up to go to the main dining rooms, or to each one of the speciality dining.

i have done the getaway twice and loved the studio cabins. I did not do the solo meetings each nite so i can not speak to that but i met people on my own no problem. I did go to the illusionarium as everyone said it was excellent. I found the food to be ok not awesome and the show wasn't terrible but i didn't think it was great. Now that is my opinion and everyone feels differently. I have seen alot of shows so it does not rank high on my list. I would say certain parts were good. The comedy shows were good if you like that sort of thing. I had no problem booking stuff when i got on board on the big screens found around the ship. you will have a great time whatever you do. Enjoy