Texas alcohol law question....

DJ Dale

We leave out of Houston tomorrow on the Sun. A couple people posted saying that NCL wont provide bar setups in rooms until international waters. Someone posted that Texas law allows alcohol sales after 12 noon.

Anyone know why this is? Will we be able to buy a drink from the bars on the ship?

Texas alcohol laws vary precinct by precinct. Every county in Texas has at least four precincts. Alcohol laws in Texas are set at the lowest level of the state govenment by refrendrums. The citzens of each precinct determines what that laws is. In the same county, you can four or more different sets of laws on alcohol, from completely dry to completely wet.

It also may have to do with the fact that within the state's waters state sales/use taxes have to be paid. Sometimes it also has to do with whether the ship has a state license. In NY when the POA was having its inaugural, NCL had to obtain and display NY State Alcohol serving permits.

We leave out of Houston tomorrow on the Sun. A couple people posted saying that NCL wont provide bar setups in rooms until international waters. Someone posted that Texas law allows alcohol sales after 12 noon.

Anyone know why this is? Will we be able to buy a drink from the bars on the ship?

I haven't heard this before, but I wouldn't doubt it. Some parts of Texas are still living in the 20th and 19th century. We lived in a town that did not allow any alcohol sales, not even wine and beer but all the surrounding towns had full liquor stores. Guess where most of us shopped and guess how much revenue was lost because there were enough people who objected to indulging they couldn't quite understand the value of liqour sales. As for buying on Sundays, most of Texas does allow liquor to be bought by the drink before noon but not the bottle. Go figure! I can't buy a bottle and take it home to drink, but I can sit in a bar and get drunk.

I would imagine the bottle versus the drink has something to do with the policy of no set up til in internation waters which I think is 7 miles out. I have heard both 3 and 7; whatever?!! NMiNita

Archived