Packing for 23 nights onboard QE Dubai to Southampton

Me 2

Dress code includes 6 formal and 17 informal nights. Bearing in mind airline luggage limitations DH reckons his tux will take care of the formals but is struggling to decide how many jackets to take for the 17 informals :confused:

Would appreciate some input in this regard ;)

I would take what HE is happy with, If he is Happy surviving with Two then take two. If he would feel uncomfortable in not being able to wear another then take 3. Its your luggage allowance or cheque book for extra. :D

Edited by Pennbank

Have you checked with your airline how much it would cost you to pre book one extra case? It can be very reasonable, and when you consider the benefit of the extra clothing for a longer voyage you might be tempted!😊

Dress code includes 6 formal and 17 informal nights. Bearing in mind airline luggage limitations DH reckons his tux will take care of the formals but is struggling to decide how many jackets to take for the 17 informals :confused: Would appreciate some input in this regard ;)
Hi Me 2,

I'm no expert, but I think that almost every scheduled airline will allow all passengers to take 1, 2 or 3 cases as required.

In some grades these cases are included in the airfare, in others the allowance has to be purchased.

However, in my experience, paying for an extra case is very reasonable, esp if purchased in advance and not at check-in. For example I think I've paid around £60 (or less) for an extra case when flying the Atlantic in the past in economy (coach). My parents fly with three cases between them both in economy, paying for one.

Or, as has been suggested above, upgrade your seat; that almost always automatically increases one's luggage allowance. For example I am flying "economy plus" later this year across the Atlantic. I upgraded myself from an economy seat (allocated to me by Cunard) to this next grade up for £95 extra which automatically includes a two-case allowance (the cost of an extra case in economy was going to be £60). I still have the option to purchase a further allowance for a third case if I wish (I won't, two cases is enough for me).

I know that some internal/domestic, budget and charter flights have a fixed limit on the number of cases/bags passengers are allowed to take, but on most scheduled flights any "baggage restriction" is self-imposed by the passenger.

Have you enquired about the cost of extra baggage allowance or a possible seat upgrade for your flight?

Hope this helps :) Have a great time on board QE; my favourite cruise ship.

Edited by pepperrn

We recently did Cape Town to Sydney 25 days. We flew Emirates to Cape Town They have a very expensive overweight allowance.55 Euro per kilo for us as we live in a Euro country. I think it is the equivalent in sterling. You are allowed 30 kilos per person and 7 kilo in hand luggage and a lady can carry on a handbag.

I am well known on forums for not travelling light, and we always have to pay access baggage. However we drew the line this time as we were staying on land based holiday as well so decided to stick to our limits.

My husband took four jackets. Plus one white tux and a white tie evening suit for formal nights.

I cut down on my shoes and I took five long dresses wearing three of them twice ( a first for me) and I wore two just the once. ( black & white ball and red for the Valentine ball)

I also took eight dresses for evening that was not formal and wore them twice ( again a new thing for me) I purchased a new pair of shoes that I could wear with more outfits Pewter colour very versatile. I still ended up with around ten pairs of shoes. ;)

Day clothes and the rest.

We were very careful not to be over weight and on the way out we were 2 kilos under. Goodness.

We bought toiletries and such in Cape Town and threw them away before our flight home .

On our return from Dubai, we threw away a jacket as my husband had bought a new one and I threw out a T-shirt as I bought a new one. One in one out policy. We got rid of any unwanted paperwork and such and we were amazed to find we were half a kilo under!!

Amazing never been known before as we spent a fortune on excess normal as we do long cruises and do not live in the UK.

So it can be done. I also took the smallest of everything even putting my face creams and such into mini pots and bought mini IPad instead of my laptop.

I took fewer undies and-and swimwear. My husband used the laundry for clean shirts and we did not miss having more luggage, in fact, it was a joy to have less to unpack

Have a great cruise and enjoy Cape Town

Edited by maggiemou

Thanks to all for your input. Having considered all responses DH has decided to go with cruiseluvva's first post and take his tux, a suit and two jackets.

Pennbank - he is happy with this :)

LadyL1 and pepperrn - we are flying to Dubai with Emirates and can live with the 30kg hold allowance per person. Our concern was returning home from Southampton on Flybe with an upper limit of 23Kg per case each. Anything more would require booking an additional case which we would find difficult to handle. Have established though that if we are overweight at check-in the excess charge is only £15 per Kilo :cool:

Maggiemou - some brilliant tips that we can adopt if required ;)

I have just spoken to Emirates and they have confirmed the checked baggage allowance is 30 kg per person which can be made up of mulitple bags.

You cannot combine the weight allowance so you cannot check 3x 20 kg you both need to be under 30 kg.

I have just spoken to Emirates and they have confirmed the checked baggage allowance is 30 kg per person which can be made up of mulitple bags.

You cannot combine the weight allowance so you cannot check 3x 20 kg you both need to be under 30 kg.

Thanks for posting this. We intend to check just one piece of hold luggage per person, each piece being within the Emirates 30kg limit without need to combine our allowances.