Missing the ship in port

MsMot

In your original post you said the cruise line is responsible to get you to the next port which is 100% wrong unless you are on a cruise sponsored excursion. Even then they more than likely will not leave without you.

Insurance is different. I get it all the time too. They will get you to your ship should you miss it before embarkation due to a covered reason. I am not aware of a policy that will cover you due to your negligence of returning to the ship on time.

Nope. Insurance will not cover missed flights either if they are booked to early. Just because you have it, does not mean you are covered for everything that can happen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My sister will occasionally leave her younger two on board while she and her husband do an excursion with her older two. The kids love the camp so they are having fun.

ITA. My youngest son loves to do excursions and explore. My older son (now almost 17) loves the camp and prefers to stay on the ship. I do encourage my older son to come with us, but it's his vacation too, so if he wants to stay on board, I'm ok with that.

Nope. Insurance will not cover missed flights either if they are booked to early. Just because you have it, does not mean you are covered for everything that can happen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's correct. Insurance is not responsible to take care of the irresponsible. Just like they also won't reimburse your trip if you fail to produce the necessary documents to board the ship at embarkation.

I am all for getting insurance and I always do. I just hope that people educate themselves on what is truly covered and what is not. It seems unfortunate that some get bad info from so called "travel professionals".

If in doubt what a policy does and does not cover, one should read the policy. If that still doesn't make it clear, call the company you are thinking about purchasing from. They have licensed insurance agents answering the phone in most cases. I love InsureMyTrip for that reason. Whenever I call, they are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

About a month ago, we went with a local vendor on an excursion in Jamaica. Our van broke down and we had to wait 45 minutes for another vehicle, then that vehicle got a flat tire and we had to make the rest of the journey on a donut. Our driver was doing double the local speed limit for an hour. Then we hit city traffic and were stuck for an hour there. We were across the bay and could see the smoke from the ship.

We were pretty nervous as we were an hour late for departure.

We were those pier runners that we never thought we would be. We typically always get back on the ship about an hour early. I never thought this would happen to us and we caught a little crap from people laughing at us as we ran. I was yelling up to them about what had happened to us, but I don't think they believed me. LOL

I was on YouTube and came across a video where a couple missed the ship. They were then boarded on to a tug boat and met up with the ship. They crew tied a rope to them and they were able to board by climbing up a ladder. I was under the impression that if you missed the ship, you were out of luck. Is this a courtesy that happens only in Bermuda? Not that I plan on EVER missing the ship!

It depends on the port and how far away the ship is. On a cruise a few years ago a group of older ladies were boarded by boat using a wooden ramp and some type of safety devices around their waists, when we were about ten minutes from port.

My husband and I left our kids on the ship to do an excursion that any under 10 year old could not do. They liked the camp and were well cared for while we were on our excursion. Yes, it's their vacation too, but we paid for it and what we want to do, especially a once in a lifetime excursion, we will do.

For the people that would never leave their kids on board without them, what do you do on date night at home?