Missing the ship in port

MsMot

I was on YouTube and came across a video where a couple missed the ship. They were then boarded on to a tug boat and met up with the ship. They crew tied a rope to them and they were able to board by climbing up a ladder. I was under the impression that if you missed the ship, you were out of luck. Is this a courtesy that happens only in Bermuda? Not that I plan on EVER missing the ship!

That's the first time that I've heard of this. It's my understanding that every port has a cruise line ambassador who will help guide you to getting transportation that brings you to another port where you can board the ship again.

We had dinner once with a couple who didn't change their watches when ship's time switched to a new time zone and they ended up having to catch a flight in their swimsuits.

According to my TA as long as you purchased insurance the cruise line is responsible for getting you to the next port. I have never heard of them allowing to board from a tugboat. I do know they will helicopter you off the ship if you are critically ill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably if there's someone operating a boat there and they're willing to give you a ride, they radio the ship they're willing to allow it, and you're up to it, it can happen. Pretty much like anything in life. I don't think they have boats specifically there for that.

According to my TA as long as you purchased insurance the cruise line is responsible for getting you to the next port. I have never heard of them allowing to board from a tugboat. I do know they will helicopter you off the ship if you are critically ill.

Never heard of insurance that covered someone missing the ship in a port. Not sure why Carnival would be responsible to pay for flights for someone who didn't keep track of time. They only wait for late ship excursions, not outside ones. I would think, if the insurance even covered it, then the people would have to pay for their flights to the next port and the insurance would reimburse. But, not sure if all insurances or any of them would cover something like that.

On our last cruise, while in Belize, we heard the names of passengers being called several times and then as the ship was starting to weigh anchor, a smaller boat, maybe private, maybe a smaller tender boat, came roaring out of the harbor. The ship reset the tender ladder, which hadn't completely been restowed, and several people got off the smaller boat. I heard later from another passenger that the late arrivals (tender runner?:D) had to pay the boat to bring them out. Guess it beats trying to fly from Belize to Honduras to Roatan.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone can miss the ship! We have seen it happen too many times over 21 cruises and still find it hard to believe that someone cannot make it back in time.

Once, we were in St. Thomas and saw 3 young women running towards the ship after the captain had blown the ship's horn 3 different times, indicating it was time to set sail. The women stopped, ran into a store, came running out, ran into another store and came running out again. It was, however, too late as the ship had already pulled away from the pier. The girls just stood there screaming for the ship to come back but to no avail. I can't imagine what that must have felt like. Passengers were screaming for the women to hurry as they ran towards the ship but it didn't stop them from running into the shops one time too many! Like Walter would say...Oh well!

Edited by jordanaire

You either didn't understand what you're ta said, or you need a new ta.

If you miss the ship, it is up to you to figure out what to do unless you missed the ship due to a carnival excursion returning late.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Some suggestions in the Youtube comments were that those were children and the parents were on board. Seems crazy that a parent would leave the kids in port but who knows.

The operation looked dangerous, considering what they go through in connecting tender boats to the ship. I saw the life vest and the tethers but still, one slip and you are between a massive ship and large boat. I'm shocked this was allowed.

Your TA is obviously trying to con you into buying something extra by lying to you. There is only one guarantee on missing the ship. If you buy an excursion through the cruise line directly and that excursion is what causes you to be late they will wait as long as they can. No insurance you can purchase gives you this security.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by res2cue

Your TA is obviously trying to con you into buying something extra by lying to you. There is only one guarantee on missing the ship. If you buy an excursion through the cruise line directly and that excursion is what causes you to be late they will wait as long as they can. No insurance you can purchase gives you this security.

Doesnt Carnival policy also say they will get you to the next port at no cost to you? In case you are on one of their excursions and they cannot wait?

I was on YouTube and came across a video where a couple missed the ship. They were then boarded on to a tug boat and met up with the ship. They crew tied a rope to them and they were able to board by climbing up a ladder. I was under the impression that if you missed the ship, you were out of luck. Is this a courtesy that happens only in Bermuda? Not that I plan on EVER missing the ship!

I can't remember which of our cruises this happened on, but we we're able to watch from our balcony an elderly couple get back on board this way. They actually had to hold on to the front of the boat and go across from one side to the other before they could climb the ladder up to the ship.

I remember wondering at the time why they couldn't just get out on the side of the boat that was alongside the ship, but I guess between all the hooting, hollering and clapping, the entertainment value was the only important thing.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how anyone can miss the ship!

Some people book tours with private drivers and their car breaks down. We had a private tour once and ended up taking in two passengers from another driver's car at one of the scenic sites.

I'm guessing that for most people they glance at their watch thinking that they have 45 minutes left to get back to the ship but that the ship set sail 15 minutes ago. You need to always check your watch against ship's time before you leave for the day.

Some people book tours with private drivers and their car breaks down. We had a private tour once and ended up taking in two passengers from another driver's car at one of the scenic sites.

I'm guessing that for most people they glance at their watch thinking that they have 45 minutes left to get back to the ship but that the ship set sail 15 minutes ago. You need to always check your watch against ship's time before you leave for the day.

When we were staying in cozumel we met a young couple that had missed their ship because they fell asleep on the beach. They did not appear responsible enough to wipe their own nose so I am not sure why they were cruising alone. Anyway, they had done the right things I guess because they were suppose to catch another carnival ship the next day. Never saw them again, so I guess they did.

On our last cruise, while in Belize, we heard the names of passengers being called several times and then as the ship was starting to weigh anchor, a smaller boat, maybe private, maybe a smaller tender boat, came roaring out of the harbor. The ship reset the tender ladder, which hadn't completely been restowed, and several people got off the smaller boat. I heard later from another passenger that the late arrivals (tender runner?:D) had to pay the boat to bring them out. Guess it beats trying to fly from Belize to Honduras to Roatan.

We saw a similar thing happen in October - also in Belize - we were on the Magic. Watched the whole thing from our balcony.

A few years ago, on a Western Carib. itinerary, one of our stops was Cozumel, well known for pier runners. We were up on the Lido deck, watching the crew getting everything ready for sail away. The ship had just started to pull away from the dock, when two women came running, each carrying shopping bags, and yelling "Wait! Wait! Wait for us!" Of course, everyone watching was yelling and laughing. The pilot boat got them and brought them to the ship. After they boarded, the captain came on the loudspeaker and said, "To the two ladies that returned late, welcome aboard. As punishment for being late, you'll have to go to bed without your supper." Everyone got a good laugh out of that. I don't think those two were ever late again.

I have seen a small boat catch up with the ship and have people get on and I have seen a good many crying on the dock as we sailed away. One time I bet the ship wasn't 15 away and they keep going with the young lady dropping to the ground crying. You will never see

me miss the ship

Doesnt Carnival policy also say they will get you to the next port at no cost to you? In case you are on one of their excursions and they cannot wait?

Yes. Straight from a Carnival cruise director it is against maritime law for them to abandon you if you are late DUE to a excursion bought through the cruise line.

I have to wonder, what if you had kids in the Camp that stayed on board and they were young ... and you missed the ship. What would happen then? Would the ship wait longer for you? What would happen with the kids? Has anyone heard of that situation?

I imagine it will be handled professionally if it happens.

Passengers were screaming for the women to hurry as they ran towards the ship but it didn't stop them from running into the shops one time too many! Like Walter would say...Oh well!

Unless they were searching for a lost child, which it doesn't seem that they were, sounds like being left behind is exactly what they deserved. I can not even begin to fathom how they thought it would be ok to do that. Smh

We almost missed the ship in Ketchikan, I thought it was all back on board at 1:30pm but it was actually 1:00pm. We were going to stop into the Museum for a little bit when DH said, I think we better go back.

We sailed away within 15 minutes of getting back on board. That will never happen again.