Social package....NOT!

pbmsmile

We just got back from a B2B onboard the Glory and had the social package ($25 each week) for both weeks. And while it was wonderful to have access to Facebook while on board- the plan clearly states Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram (LIES!!!) LOL I was unable to get any updates on anything but Facebook and neither could anyone else I talked to. When I asked the tech person they said "yes that is a problem we are having with the program".

I have an Android so I don't know if the issue was the same with IPhones also??? I would have purchased the plan just for Facebook alone so I could stay in touch with my kids but I wanted to be sure others understood that even though the plan lists all the other apps...they were not a working part of it.

I had the second tier plan, right about social...I had access to Snapchat, but it was PAINFULLY slow to receive snaps, and really drained my battery.

Snap drains my battery enough on land, that would have probably made me toss myself overboard :D:rolleyes:

I used the social media package on the Pride in August, I had access to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter...when it decided to work. It was very patchy in service, I went multiple times to guest services. They said if you keep experiencing issues we will refund the $25. Well, I made many more visits and the $25 was never refunded. Finally, the last 2 days I didn't even bother to go to guest services because the line was so long. So it was nice while it worked, but when it worked was the tricky part. The one lady at guest services told us it was still new, so maybe that's why the service wasn't so solid. Hopefully it is fixed by this August, because it was nice to have when it did work.

I have an iPhone 6 btw.

We just got back from a B2B onboard the Glory and had the social package ($25 each week) for both weeks. And while it was wonderful to have access to Facebook while on board- the plan clearly states Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram (LIES!!!) LOL I was unable to get any updates on anything but Facebook and neither could anyone else I talked to. When I asked the tech person they said "yes that is a problem we are having with the program".

I have an Android so I don't know if the issue was the same with IPhones also??? I would have purchased the plan just for Facebook alone so I could stay in touch with my kids but I wanted to be sure others understood that even though the plan lists all the other apps...they were not a working part of it.

No surprise there.

We used it on a 7 night cruise on Ecstasy, but it was basically to stay in contact with family thru Facethingy... worked fine for that.

I think if you figure $25 for Face something or nuhter you will not be disappointed.

I used the 7 day on my last cruise. I had no issues unless I was calling through Facebook Messenger. It was dreadfully slow. But what do you expect, you're in the middle of the ocean and relying on a satellite for internet on a moving vessel.

I had it on the Dream in March and it was painfully slow. Painful!!! But my kids were at home with my mom, and I needed a way for her to get in touch with us that wasn't $9 a minute for the emergency line.

My teenage daughters want to get the social package in June so they can basically brag to all their friends lol, but I'm wondering if it's worth it now? And I am making them pay for it themselves cause I think they shouldn't even bother with their phones.

I was on the Glory in March for a week and had the social media plan and it worked great, I didn't have any problems at all. I do have an Iphone 6S. Maybe it is the phone you have not the service?

I love the "put your phones away" comments. Since when did you get to tell other people how they should spend their vacation that THEY paid for?? The OP posted their experience with a service that Carnival offers, not solicit opinions on how they should spend their money and their time aboard. If someone whats to sit in the same lounger for 12 hours updating their social media, that's their business. It affects you in absolutely no way what-so-ever. Mind your own dang vacation!!! :mad:

I love the "put your phones away" comments. Since when did you get to tell other people how they should spend their vacation that THEY paid for?? The OP posted their experience with a service that Carnival offers, not solicit opinions on how they should spend their money and their time aboard. If someone whats to sit in the same lounger for 12 hours updating their social media, that's their business. It affects you in absolutely no way what-so-ever. Mind your own dang vacation!!! :mad:

I agree! My daughters want to get it, they have the money and they want to occasionally check in with friends so be it! I won't get it for myself but I wouldn't ever tell someone else how to spend their own money :)

Great comment! I've never had a reason for an internet package in the past, but next time we cruise we will be leaving 2 children under the age of 3 home with my mom so I know I'll want to check in with them and this package seems like a great way to do that. Plus, posting vacation envy pics will be fun. To each their own!

*applause*

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I get so tired of the complainers telling people what to do. "Make your baby stop crying, dont have sex on board cause it will disturb other people, leave your devices in the safe..." Where the heck does it end?! Everyone on board paid for their own vacation, mind yours!