Prince Rupert: Butze Rain Forest

I wish I could get a clear handle on whether the walk is a moderate one or a strenuous one. We're not hikers in the "serious" sense, but we enjoy walking for a couple of hours. Don't mind ups and downs, but probably couldn't do very steep climbing.

Thanks for info.

• 2 weeks later...

I did do the hike many, many years ago - as an avid hiker it was no big sweat - can't find any photos extra - probably in cyber space somewhere not on any of my active hard drives.

Also my Prince Rupert contact is now somewhere down here in Vancouver but haven't had any luck locating him to get some info.

As PD says - an google search will give you many trip reports.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks to both.

Curious that the description on my ship's excursion page labels this tour "strenuous," whereas the description from the place itself labels it "easy." I think I'll just have to wait until we're on board to get specifics from the tour desk from people who've done the trail. I very much do hope that it's not "strenuous," as nothing else in Prince Rupert especially interests us.

Thank you!

Edited by poss

Bear in mind that the average cruiser has a bit more padding around the waist and a bit less puff in the lungs than even a casual hiker, so the audience for the two descriptions is very, very different!

I walk a lot around the city, but my hiking days are decades in the past - so I'm careful to check when we are day-tripping around the province that any trails to nice spots are manageable for me. I haven't done this particular trail, but based on other descriptions from the folks who make the brochures like PD linked to, when they say Easy they mean 'if you have legs and enough endurance to walk the distance listed you can handle it - just ditch the high heels' whereas a typical Cruiseline idea of a Strenuous excursion seems to mean 'you cannot drive a typical scooter on these paths, and it's probably best not to carry a plate of food from the buffet while doing it'!

I did do the hike many, many years ago - as an avid hiker it was no big sweat - can't find any photos extra - probably in cyber space somewhere not on any of my active hard drives.

Also my Prince Rupert contact is now somewhere down here in Vancouver but haven't had any luck locating him to get some info.

As PD says - an google search will give you many trip reports.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers!

Dennis

Good, I had hoped that you would respond to this thread as I found a post of yours from many years ago on the topic. However, I was working on my Ipad in a hotel room and the links were just becoming a bit much to deal with.

Thanks again. And I get what you're saying, Martincath. Also, a lot depends on whether someone has a walker or a hiker in mind when he's using words like "easy." Our "hiking" days are over as well-- and yet we can pleasurably do trail walks of an hour or even two, so long as the terrain isn't difficult and we can stop periodically.

After further reflection, why not contact the Prince Rupert Tourism Bureau and see what they have to say. If you explain to them what you are able to handle I am certain that they can be of help. Here are their vitals:

VISITOR SERVICES

Phone: 250-624-5637

Toll Free: 1 800 667-1994 FREE

Email: info@visitprincerupert.com

The underlying issue here is that while I have been to Prince Rupert about 40 times few CC posters have been there as it has been pretty much off the cruise ships' charts for many years due to a harbour blockade set up by BC fishers to bring attention to their dispute with Alaskan fishers. Only in very recent years have a few ships made the occasional stop in Prince Rupert.

Should you find the Butze Rain Forest walk is more then you care to bight off then I would suggest a visit to the restored North Pacific Cannery which is extremely interesting. http://www.northpacificcannery.ca/

Both Butze and NPC can be reached my public transit if you want to avoid the cost of a ship's tour.

Ah, but the whole experience on a Regent ship is so marvelous that even if excursions weren't included we'd try very, very hard to swing the cost. Especially as we're getting older, the pleasure of the ship itself means a lot to us, as we're less able to do the kinds of activities on shore that we once enjoyed.

We've met a number of couples for whom the cruise itself (I mean the ship) is the vacation; they do very few, if any, of the excursions. I'd rather do one cruise on a luxury ship than two on any other kind. For sure I didn't always feel this way, and easy to understand the other point of view.

How fortunate to be able to cruise-- and get good feedback from CC!

Ah, but the whole experience on a Regent ship is so marvelous that even if excursions weren't included we'd try very, very hard to swing the cost. Especially as we're getting older, the pleasure of the ship itself means a lot to us, as we're less able to do the kinds of activities on shore that we once enjoyed.

We've met a number of couples for whom the cruise itself (I mean the ship) is the vacation; they do very few, if any, of the excursions. I'd rather do one cruise on a luxury ship than two on any other kind. For sure I didn't always feel this way, and easy to understand the other point of view.

How fortunate to be able to cruise-- and get good feedback from CC!

Well as one of golf buddies in AZ said to me last week, "I've never seen an armoured car following a hearse":D....so get out and do it.

I lived in the area a few years back (Actually Terrace, 1 1/2 hours East) and did the hike to see the rapids. It wasn't major, and I never found myself out of breath. If you're reasonably able-bodied, and able to walk up and down hills for 15-30 mins straight, you'll be fine. If you're moving around with a walker or cane... You will have issues.

Thanks for ringing in, Aegis. I guess we're sorta in between: no cane or walker, but probably would have an uncomfortable time walking up and down hills for 30 min. I guess I'll count on the ship's excursion desk to spell out the details more specifically; some of the staff have done each of the excursions, so presumably they'll be additionally helpful.

Thank you.

Putterdude: Yup: We're trying to Carpe all the Diems that we can.