NCL Newbie...any tips?

maritaysa

We'll be on the Pearl to Alaska in a couple of months. I'll have my little girls with me. Please share your tips for us to get the most out of our first NCL cruise - both kid and non-kid related tips. Thank you!

Are you planning to take advantage of the kids club? Be aware they they close 12-2 and 5-7 everyday. They are available for an upcharge on port days for lunch, but not sea days. Keep this in mind if you intend to catch a 7pm show, but need to put the kiddies in the Splash academy BEFORE the show begins.

• 1 month later...

Here are some tips specific to the Pearl (I was just on the ship, but I don't have kids).

1) Don't waste your time going to any of the art auctions or jewelry seminars. They're just a way to suck more money out of you (you can sometimes get a glass of free champagne at the art stuff, but I don't know if that's worth it).

2) In the buffet, there is a kids' area in the back, heading out towards the Great Outdoors (the outdoor buffet). There, the tables are lower, and most of the chairs are stools that are kid height.

3) The early show tend to get crowded, but doors to the theatre open 30 minutes before the shows start (7:30 PM and 9:30 PM).

4) There is a hard ice cream station in the buffet (ends at 3PM), but they have chocolate/vanilla soft-serve in the Great Outdoors until later in the afternoon.

5) Ship excursions are rather pricey, because they place a premium on guaranteeing that you will get back to the ship on time or they will hold the ship until the excursion gets back. If money is concern, there are great off-ship tours that are much cheaper (usually 40-50%). Check on Trip Advisor for top things to do in each port. Usually people refer their tour guides, so this is a great resource.

6) Join your cruise roll call and attend the Meet and Greet - you will probably meet some cool people on the ship through this group, and they often have good tips for the cruise as well.

7) Check the weather before you pack. We went in May, when the temps are generally cool, but it was 90+ every day we were there (luckily, we brought some workout clothes that we ended up wearing almost every day).

8) Weigh yourself in the gym on your first day, this way you can gauge when it's time to cut back on that second dessert. Average weight gain on a cruise is 7-10 pounds.

9) Speaking of food, you can order small portions of entrees in the Main Dining Room, so feel free to be adventurous and order several entrees to share. The food on the Pearl is very good and the staff is unbelievably friendly. The maitre d's checked in on us multiple times over the course of meals to ensure that we were happy. Also, we usually ate an early dinner, saved dessert for later, and went to the early show. Then we would go back for dessert after the show, when we could relax and enjoy it.

10) There are only three outlets in the standard cabins, so if you have a lot of electronics, you may want to bring a power strip.

11) Bonus tip: If you've never been on a cruise before, they usually have a ship overview with someone from the Cruise Director staff on Embarkation Day. They will walk around the ship and point out where things are (like the theatre, restaurants, etc.).

Hope this helps. Have a great time in Alaska!

Edited by atomax