A sincere question

I'm actually a little envious of some friends who can smoke on rare occasion because I believe I would become instantly addicted if I smoked just one.

I know that exact feeling. I quit 14 months ago and know that I'll never be able to smoke again. I think that fear was what kept me smoking for so long. Congratulations to you for quitting.

I would not have hesitated to put out my cigarette if I knew it was bothering someone. All you need to do is ask politely - most of the smokers I know would happily oblige. Have a great cruise.

You could try to get a balcony cabin at the very front of the ship....then no smoke could blow down wind onto your verandah. Other than that, if the smoke becomes troublesome, just leave your verandah for the time being. It is really unlikely that anyone wants to spend the entire vacation on their own balcony. Just figure out the other person's schedule and enjoy your verandah when you can.

I hope my original post did not make us sound like the people you are describing.

Thanks for answering, everyone. I guess I didn't realize that some people would get so upset. That was not my intention.

Both DH & I smoke. We try to be very rspectful of others, and would never think of smoking in a non-smoking area. But I have one question, just when did smoking become the scurge of society? I am getting really sick of being told I shouldn't smoke, where, when and how....the looks, the rolling eyes, the coughes, all of it. Somehow, somewhere, non-smokers have decided it's ok to treat smokers rudely, and like they have committed some terrible offense. At some point, it has become ok to go out of there way to be offending themselves, and all we smokers seem to put up with it, and even feel guilty. Well all I have to say is if your in the smoking area, and it's bothering you, GET OUT! If we are outdoors, and it's bothering you, GET AWAY! Move farther away from us. Until they pass some law making smoking illegal, GET OFF MY BACK!

Obesity in our country - not from any disease process, but from overeating - has a great effect on our nation and but there are no laws governing the abuse of food.

There are laws governing the use of illegal "street' drugs, but no laws governing the abuse of prescription drugs unless the drugs are illegally obtained.

Alcohol abuse is rampant in our country, but alcohol consumption in itself is not illegal.

There are laws governing where a person can smoke but none that say an adult can't smoke where it is allowed.

What would happen if I asked an obese person in my presence to refrain from eating in my presence or to go someplace else to eat? What would happen if a person in my presence had abused her Valium - can I ask her to dry out or remove herself from my presence? What about the couple having a drink at the table next to me - can I ask the waiter to have them move or can I ask them to refrain from drinking in my presence.

What is the difference, I ask, when it comes to smoking? There are laws governing where a person can smoke but no laws as yet saying that smoking is illegal. What right do I have to ask a smoker to refrain from smoking in my presence or to move to another area, when I can't ask the overeater, the drinker or the prescription drug abuser to quit or move?

If I don't like the "legal" habits of others, I see that I have two choices. I myself can absent myself from their presence or I can work to change the laws so overeating, prescription drug abuse, alcohol consumption in any amount and smoking all become illegal. Then and only then will I have the right and the obligation to do something about someone breaking the law in my presence.

I just wonder if there will ever be laws governing the gum-chompers, knuckle-crackers and finger-tappers because they're habits, though legal, are annoying to others in their presence.

Folks, when will it stop? When will we as as individuals stop trying to make everyone else conform to our own standards? As long as a "habit" or an action is not against the law, please understand that your only recourse is to absent yourself from the presence of the "offender" because YOU have no rights under the law to ask THEM to refrain or move away!

Does anyone have a "smack head" smiley graphic to share? I feel stupid now.

Someone mentioned to close the balcony door and hang out until the smoker is finished enjoying him/herself with a smoke on their own balcony. DUH! I never even thought of something that simple.

To be honest, none of our friends smoke, so my experience with smokers is extremely limited.

I love meeting new people. I really love talking to people on the balcones on either side of ours. Maybe I could use this lesson as an icebreaker..."Hi, nice to see you. After you've enjoyed your cigarette, I'll come back out and chat with you. See you then."

copnlpn2

when people overeat it should not annoy me......their business.

when people crack their knuckles etc, it may be annoying, but only if I

let myself pay attention to it and be annoyed.

when I inhale cigarette smoke by simply breathing, my asthma kicks in and

I CANT breathe. It is not a momentary thing.

Too many smokers don't realize that it is not a case of not liking the smell

of smoke. It is a very real problem. I don't think there is any real doubt

that second hand smoke affects everyone who breathes it. My mother died

from asthma caused emphysema, and my father from lung cancer. He smoked

cigars, only outdoors. We'll never know if either of them would have lived

longer had he not smoked.

I'm also a smoker, and try to be polite about asking others around me if they would be bothered by my smoke....even though I am in a clearly designated smoking area on the ship! I've asked people sitting at tables with ashtrays, and if I am told that my smoking would be "bothersome", I just move to another table. When I have a balcony cabin, I ask those on each side of me (just a quick knock on the door) at the beginning of the trip if they would be bothered by my smoking on my balcony. I've always been told, "Not at all! Thanks for asking!" I don't even smoke in my house or my car (have nice front and back patios) except when I'm desperate! I really think it's all a matter of courtesy on both sides!! I've probably seen an equal number of very rude and offensive smokers and non-smokers on cruises, and I'm not crazy about either side. It's just not worth making a scene over, or making someone else uncomfortable. Just my thoughts!

copnlpn2

when people overeat it should not annoy me......their business.

when people crack their knuckles etc, it may be annoying, but only if I

let myself pay attention to it and be annoyed.

when I inhale cigarette smoke by simply breathing, my asthma kicks in and

I CANT breathe. It is not a momentary thing.

Too many smokers don't realize that it is not a case of not liking the smell

of smoke. It is a very real problem. I don't think there is any real doubt

that second hand smoke affects everyone who breathes it. My mother died

from asthma caused emphysema, and my father from lung cancer. He smoked

cigars, only outdoors. We'll never know if either of them would have lived

longer had he not smoked.

I think that's the reason smoking is looked at as being so bad. If a person is overeating and obese, they are hurting themselves, not everyone around them. Same thing with drinking. (Unless they are drunk, then the whole drunk driving problem and other effects of alcohol become an issue.)

I hate the smell of smoke. I'm not allergic, but I get migraines very easily and smoke is one trigger. I've never smoked anything in my life so I can't understand the other side of the issue. Basically smoking is an expensive and dangerous habit with no benefit at all. I'm not to concerned with people smoking except when it is around others. It makes me especially sick when I see pregnant women smoking or people smoking right by a baby or young child. That is child abuse in my mind.

I think that's the reason smoking is looked at as being so bad. If a person is overeating and obese, they are hurting themselves, not everyone around them. Same thing with drinking. (Unless they are drunk, then the whole drunk driving problem and other effects of alcohol become an issue.)

I hate the smell of smoke. I'm not allergic, but I get migraines very easily and smoke is one trigger. I've never smoked anything in my life so I can't understand the other side of the issue. Basically smoking is an expensive and dangerous habit with no benefit at all. I'm not to concerned with people smoking except when it is around others. It makes me especially sick when I see pregnant women smoking or people smoking right by a baby or young child. That is child abuse in my mind.

I understand what you are saying but would like to take the time to tell you why so many smokers are getting frustrated with what is happening.

Obesity is very quickly becoming the number one health hazard in the states causing medical cost to soar. Yet no one is demanding a tax on Big Mac's or fries. Yet in this state they are asking for the cigarette tax to be increased five times what it is now.

Drunk drivers costs billions in tax dollars and health care each year in cost like law enforcement, first responders, judicial, etc, yet no one is asking for the tax to be raised.

Automobile pollution is one of the most prevalent toxic things around. It's in our air, grass, trees, everywhere, yet no one is asking for more tax on the cars or the gas.

I could go on and on but all we're asking is for fairness. Don't attack one thing just because it has become politically correct unless you want to look at all the problems.

As far as the statement that there are no benefits from smoking, I won't go into what it does for the smoker but tests have shown that smokers are far less likely to get Alzheimer's than non-smokers. So there are some benefits. Shucks, treat us too bad and we smokers may put all of you non-smokers out in the cold when we grow old. (Kidding-just Kidding)

We have several family members who have cancer or died from it. Not one ever smoked, lived with smokers, or worked with smokers so their experience with second hand smoke was too light for it to have an effect on them. Some of them do have one thing in common. They were in aircraft maintenance and around the fumes, cleaning chemicals, and fluids associated with that. Should we put more tax on our flights.

All I'm trying to say is, I will promise to always show you the respect you deserve so please, if my smoke is actually bothering you more than just your self-rightestness, tell me and I will do what is right. But if it is not bothering you other than your desire to make me stop, then show me the same respect I try to show you and leave me alone.

Obesity in our country - not from any disease process, but from overeating - has a great effect on our nation and but there are no laws governing the abuse of food.

Since when can second-hand overeating give YOU cancer?

All of the things you mentioned affect only the abuser - NOT others. Smoking affects everyone around the smoker. Think!

Since when can second-hand overeating give YOU cancer?

All of the things you mentioned affect only the abuser - NOT others. Smoking affects everyone around the smoker. Think!

When the number of smokers have dropped considerable in the U.S. but health insurance has sky rocketed, obesity has affected us all. We are all paying for it, not just the abuser.

Booze, obesity, autos, etc., are affecting everyone, either through abuse or in the pocketbook. They're just not politically correct to go after, people are programed not to THINK about them, or since they are the vices of the people after the smokers, we sure don't want to go after them.

And I'm overweight too, so guilty of two sins.

Does anyone have a "smack head" smiley graphic to share? I feel stupid now.

Someone mentioned to close the balcony door and hang out until the smoker is finished enjoying him/herself with a smoke on their own balcony. DUH! I never even thought of something that simple.

To be honest, none of our friends smoke, so my experience with smokers is extremely limited.

I love meeting new people. I really love talking to people on the balcones on either side of ours. Maybe I could use this lesson as an icebreaker..."Hi, nice to see you. After you've enjoyed your cigarette, I'll come back out and chat with you. See you then."

Ask and you shall receive....1 smiley for you.......36_20_1.gif

When the number of smokers have dropped considerable in the U.S. but health insurance has sky rocketed, obesity has affected us all. We are all paying for it, not just the abuser.

Booze, obesity, autos, etc., are affecting everyone, either through abuse or in the pocketbook. They're just not politically correct to go after, people are programed not to THINK about them, or since they are the vices of the people after the smokers, we sure don't want to go after them.

And I'm overweight too, so guilty of two sins.

If you want to get technical then, EVERYTHING one does affects everyone else ... in the pocketbook. I was talking about the physical effects of one's personal habits. I will not choke to death on the piece of food that gets stuck in your throat. I will not kill off my brain cells with the booze you drink. I will not be injured when you slam your car into a wall. I WILL have difficulty breathing if you smoke your cigarettes near me.

This thread caught my attention. To those of you that would ask a smoker to move along out of your air space, would you also ask a woman drenched in a perfume to move also? How would you handle this? Perfume can set my head on fire for days but smoke (all kinds, grill, auto, cigarette) does not bother me.

I am a non smoker married to a smoker. He smokes outside at home, outside on the cruise also!:rolleyes:

I hope my original post did not make us sound like the people you are describing.

Thanks for answering, everyone. I guess I didn't realize that some people would get so upset. That was not my intention.

This is just one of those subjects that people on both sides feel very strongly about

This is just one of those subjects that people on both sides feel very strongly about

This thread caught my attention. To those of you that would ask a smoker to move along out of your air space, would you also ask a woman drenched in a perfume to move also? How would you handle this? Perfume can set my head on fire for days but smoke (all kinds, grill, auto, cigarette) does not bother me.

I am a non smoker married to a smoker. He smokes outside at home, outside on the cruise also!:rolleyes:

I do have to agree that perfume can be much worse than smoke. How can anyone think that drenching themselves in perfume makes them better? One spritz is plenty!

Heavy perfume is just as much an irritant as second hand cigarette smoke. Breathing it for long can make me sick for 2 or 3 days, just like cigarette smoke. My (own) theory is that I damaged my sinuses and lungs from all the smoking I did in previous years. I cannot even tolerate perfume on myself now. All smoke makes me sick, cigarette, barbeque, wood fire in the fireplace. But I do put most of the blame on myself for damaging my body in the first place.

A current smoker just cannot understand how it feels and never will until they stop. I think tolerance is in order for them, not criticism, because plenty of family, friends and strangers had to tolerate me for years. I suppose the only way to describe it is how you feel when you are coming down with a cold, sore throat, watery eyes and headache. That is what second hand cigarettes do to me with a very short exposure. If you can understand that, you may be a little more tolerant of non-smokers. I actually hate that you are sent to little areas to indulge your habit and secluded away from the rest of society. That is one of the main reasons I needed to stop smoking many years ago, I felt like an outcast from society.

I will respect your need to smoke, although I do wish you could stop. It was a gift I gave myself, my family (especially my kids) and my friends. My father did not pass from emphysema, but it sure made his last few years of life miserable, he could barely walk 25 feet. He stopped when he was 71 and begged me to do the same at that time.

I'll stop now, you know all this, I know you hate to be preached at (so did I) and you have to make up your own mind. I do wish you well.

This isn't a direct answer to your question because I'm not a smoker. I think you are trying to find out how to politely let another person know their smoke is bothering you. If I were out on my balcony and my neighbors smoke was bothering me, I would go inside my cabin or shut the door if already in my cabin. I know it would be frustrating, but I would just wait until they are not out there smoking to enjoy the balcony. I'm not sure you could let a smoker know their smoke is bothering you without offending them.

No, that doesn't sound like the best solution. What I would do is politely ask the neighbor if we could "work something out" so that we could both enjoy our balconies.

I am assuming here that the OP's question actually is how does she inform her neighbor that his smoking is interferring with her and her son's ability to enjoy the balcony they paid for. I say politely inform the smoker that you and your son have asthma and ask if there is some way an arrangement can be worked out so that during certain times he would not smoke on his balcony.

I find most smokers are very reasonable and if you ask nicely, they are more than happy to oblige. It's only when the non-smokers become beligerant and rude that smokers dig their heels in and refuse to compromise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

P.S. Yes, I am a smoker. No, I never get balcony staterooms. Can't afford 'em. I spend all my extra money on cigarettes. :)

RCCL is one of the best cruise lines going for non-smokers. I was so happy on the Jewel last year that there were so many places where I wasn't overcome with smoke. That is also one reason I will never step back on a Carnival ship.

I think if I paid for a balcony, I would want to use it. So, I would let the smoker know that it was hard to breath because of health conditions, so could we make a compromise on use of the balcony. As far as going in my room and closing the door - if I wanted to do that I would have just paid for a window - not a balcony.

I just got off the Mariner last week and both me and my friend smoked. We had a balcony and smoked there. The people on either side of us made snippy comments instead of letting us know it bothered them where we could of worked something out. We had a balcony on the smoking side of the ship and always were on that side when we were by the pools and never smoked in the solarium. People complained on that side of the ship to. RC should advice people which side is the smoking side and book them accordingly. It would solve alot of that problem. We never smoke in the cabin.

Strong perfume is the one smell I have the worst time with. I get migraines from perfume, tanning oil, grass clippings, and even certain food smells. Amazingly enough, smoke does not bother me at all. I am a smoker and maybe I'm just used to it.

I always try to be courteous of non-smikers, BUT...if I am in a smoking area, and you are in that same area, you DO NOT have the right to complain, make gestures, or be upset. You chose to join the smokers in that area!!

This is exactly why I started this post. Maybe we can all learn something.

What would you have wanted your neighbors to say?

Thanks.

I just got off the Mariner last week and both me and my friend smoked. We had a balcony and smoked there. The people on either side of us made snippy comments instead of letting us know it bothered them where we could of worked something out. We had a balcony on the smoking side of the ship and always were on that side when we were by the pools and never smoked in the solarium. People complained on that side of the ship to. RC should advice people which side is the smoking side and book them accordingly. It would solve alot of that problem. We never smoke in the cabin.

Archived