Alaskan waters

youagain

We are interested in sailing to Alaska. I am searching rooms. My question is : Is the water rough so maybe a cabin up front would not be as bad as on the Atlantic? Were probably going to book mid to late May. Thankls

I have sailed to Aladka five times and only once experienced rough seas, to the point that they closed and locked all doors leading to the outside decks. It wouldn't have mattered where my cabin was located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are interested in sailing to Alaska. I am searching rooms. My question is : Is the water rough so maybe a cabin up front would not be as bad as on the Atlantic? Were probably going to book mid to late May. Thankls

I was just looking at our Alaska pictures from July. One thing I had forgotten was that the water was smooth as glass.

If you do one-way, you should never hit rough seas as you are always in the Inside Passage. If you do R/T, part of the trip is in the Pacific, so it could happen.

I agree with this. If it's all Inside Passage, it should be smooth with lots of waterfalls for the timeframe you're looking at going (due to spring snowmelt).

Might have a bit of rough going northbound from Seattle. Once inside the passage it should be like glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've done numerous trips and have never experienced rough going. I have heard of storms in the Gulf of Alaska in September( between Skagway and Anchorage ).

You can minimize the possibility of rough water by choosing a round trip out of Vancouver.

The only exposure to the Pacific in in Queen Charlotte Sound north of Vancouver Island.

Seattle R/T stay in international waters west of Vancouver Island, my experience of this was pleasant with lots of dolphins.