Money in Copenhagen

How much local money should six people bring for Copenhagen? We are planning on taking public transportation to and from the ship and I read that we can pay for tickets on board by the driver. I understand there are ticket machines that might take credit cards but we would rather not take chances in case it's broken and bring money with us. Once we get into the city we can use our credit card to pay for things.

Thanks for any help!

How much local money should six people bring for Copenhagen? We are planning on taking public transportation to and from the ship and I read that we can pay for tickets on board by the driver. I understand there are ticket machines that might take credit cards but we would rather not take chances in case it's broken and bring money with us. Once we get into the city we can use our credit card to pay for things.

Thanks for any help!

We have taken public transportation back and forth to the airport (train) and from the ship to the hotel (bus.) The bus driver accepted DK (Danish Krone)or Euros. We did not need exact change. A few years ago (before U.S. chip credit cards) the train ticket machine did not work with our signature only credit cards. We stood in line at a staffed window booth to get our tickets. (It is easier now with chip cards.) Last year we used DK to purchase train tickets. We were about out of DK after several days of touring Copenhagen. Fortunately our hotel was gracious and provided us with sufficient DK for our final day in the city.

You will find that Danish public transportation is modern, well-maintained and efficient, always "on time." There is little chance you will encounter a broken ticket machine.

Regarding amount of DK to bring - after researching fare costs, I would bring extra DK for a Copenhagen hot dog or an ice cream and not worry too much about having too much DK. Our bank at home will always buy back foreign currency (not the best rate) but I never have any left over because I spend it at the airport before my departure flight. Last year it was dark chocolate and marzipan.

We have taken public transportation back and forth to the airport (train) and from the ship to the hotel (bus.) The bus driver accepted DK (Danish Krone)or Euros. We did not need exact change. A few years ago (before U.S. chip credit cards) the train ticket machine did not work with our signature only credit cards. We stood in line at a staffed window booth to get our tickets. (It is easier now with chip cards.) Last year we used DK to purchase train tickets. We were about out of DK after several days of touring Copenhagen. Fortunately our hotel was gracious and provided us with sufficient DK for our final day in the city.

You will find that Danish public transportation is modern, well-maintained and efficient, always "on time." There is little chance you will encounter a broken ticket machine.

Regarding amount of DK to bring - after researching fare costs, I would bring extra DK for a Copenhagen hot dog or an ice cream and not worry too much about having too much DK. Our bank at home will always buy back foreign currency (not the best rate) but I never have any left over because I spend it at the airport before my departure flight. Last year it was dark chocolate and marzipan.

Ditto all these comments.

We were in Copenhagen last summer using public transportation between the airport and the city (and later from the city to the cruiseport.) We just used our chip-and-pin credit card in the ticket machine at the airport to buy our tickets to the city (36 DKK each) and then used our ATM card to get cash when we got to the city. (Like the US, there are ATMs everywhere.) But there are ATMs in the airport if you want to get cash before you leave there.

To me, it's never been worth the trouble or the expense to pre-purchase any foreign currency before I travel abroad, especially to Europe.

Just some friendly advice, but please check to see what constitutes a "fee" for UBS. Usually that would a be a charge that the owner of the ATM would charge for the use of the ATM - you would usually see some disclaimer that there would be a charge for processing the transaction and would you like to continue.

Unless you have a bank account attached to your UBS credit card (which would be the typical situation with a debit card), then any money you get from the ATM using the credit card is a cash advance. And, cash advances typically start incurring interest charges the second you pull the money out of the ATM. In my experience those interest charges are fairly hefty. Interest charges for the cash advance would not be considered a "fee" by most credit card companies and not refundable.

You might have a great situation where UBS allows you to pull money out of an ATM and there aren't any fees or interest charges. lf that's the case then that is terrific. I just didn't want you to have a nasty surprise when you returned home and opened your credit card statement.

Happy traveling.

Be careful about planning on buying tickets from kiosks with a US credit card. US cards are not true chip and PIN cards. They are chip and sign cards. They should - should! - work fine where there is a person to get a signature, but not necessarily for unattended purchases like ticket kiosks or gas stations.

I'm getting my metro tickets at the airport where there is an attended window, but I'll try my debit card (which has a chip and a PIN) first to see if that works. I might also ask the hotel to change notes for coins because the kiosks only take coins.

I am bringing 600 DKK (~$100 USD) for an overnight stay and am worried that it might not be enough given that I'll spend around 300+ DKK in cab fare to the hotel. I'm worried that I'll get the check in a restaurant and have trouble with the chip-and-sign American credit card. Now I wish I'd gotten more cash before leaving. :eek:

Edited by terracool

Be careful about planning on buying tickets from kiosks with a US credit card. US cards are not true chip and PIN cards. They are chip and sign cards. They should - should! - work fine where there is a person to get a signature, but not necessarily for unattended purchases like ticket kiosks or gas stations.

The tough thing about this issue is that the situation is so variable. Several years ago, US banks offered so much pushback to European demands that travelers have a chip and PIN card, that many kiosks were programmed to accept US issued cards without a PIN. For example, last summer, the Tube ticket machines in London allowed us to add money to our Oyster cards without being asked for a PIN and we were actually using our real chip and PIN card. A restaurant in Ghent, Belgium with a prominently displayed sign saying, "Credit cards with PIN only" never asked for my PIN when the card reader recognized my US credit card. The sticky problem is that not all unattended purchases have been calibrated to deal with American cards, but the problem is smaller than everyone feared.

I am bringing 600 DKK (~$100 USD) for an overnight stay and am worried that it might not be enough given that I'll spend around 300+ DKK in cab fare to the hotel. I'm worried that I'll get the check in a restaurant and have trouble with the chip-and-sign American credit card. Now I wish I'd gotten more cash before leaving.

Relax. You'll likely be able to use your charge card for the taxi ride to the hotel. There are odd situations where the narrow streets and moderately tall buildings might make getting a satellite connection difficult. If so, ask the driver to drive closer to an intersection where the signal for the credit card transaction can get through.

As for restaurant/store troubles, there have been times when some of us have had a problem with a US chip and sign card, but that has typically been because we failed to notify our banks about our foreign travel or some other nonsense reason. (And that's easily cleared up with a call to one's bank.) Unless this post attracts a lots of responses with restaurant horror stories, restaurants and chip and sign cards is one thing I wouldn't worry about.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Thanks PNN. That helps. I'll be trying my card first in all cases just to preserve my cash in case I do run into a place that can't take the cc and needs cash. I used my chip card with no problem last fall in Europe. When I started reading about the differences in US cards, I thought about that trip and realized that all my transactions were attended - just coincidence.

I thought 600 DKK would be fine to get me to the hotel with room to spare and then cc's and ATM's would cover the rest. That's still the likely outcome, but I'll be more attuned to cc'ing where I can to conserve cash.

Who knows? I'll probably be so unnecessarily cautious that I show up to the airport with all 600 DKK intact and looking to spend it before I get on the plane. :cool:

I can use my CC to get DKK out of an ATM...

Typically, using a CC means paying interest from day one as it's a cash-advance

... unless you managed to snag a special no-interest deal for cash advances?

Otherwise, ask your bank for an ATM or Debit card, if you do not already have one.

Edited by Talent312

Typically, using a CC means paying interest from day one as it's a cash-advance ... unless you managed to snag a special no-interest deal for cash advances?

Otherwise, ask your bank for an ATM or Debit card, if you do not already have one.

Good advice but I'm going to take it a bit further. If you'll be using a debit card -- as opposed to an ATM card -- consider setting up a special account for travel only. Fund that account with only as much money as you think you're going to need for your trip. That way if your debit card gets lost or compromised in any way, the holder of the card cannot empty your ATM entire account. It won't be any fun if your travel account gets drained, but the bulk of your money will be shielded.

... As for restaurant/store troubles, there have been times when some of us have had a problem with a US chip and sign card, but that has typically been because we failed to notify our banks about our foreign travel or some other nonsense...

Over the years, I've had CC's turned down at a variety of places:

-- Anchorage, Alaska - a car rental desk.

-- Bend, Oregon - a small mom+pop restaurant.

-- Cannes, France - at the Carlton Hotel.*

-- Orlando, Florida - at a grocery store.

My takeaway from these experiences:

1. Always carry (or have a companion carry) a different CC from a different bank.

B. Wait until your blood has stopped boiling to call and cus out the CC's C/S Rep.

---------------

*Having a CC declined at the hotel where Cary Grant & Grace Kelly filmed "To Catch a Thief" was most disappointing.

Edited by Talent312