Upsell fairy delivered but have question

Nurse9696

We are sailing on the Gem 4/11 and received an Upsell we couldn't resist. :) We took it but our friends traveling with us could not get Upsell as all rooms were sold out except haven which was still to pricey. We were in mini suite and took Upsell to 2br family suite. As suite guests we get priority embarkation and we can use cagneys for breakfast and lunch, but will our friends be able to join us to embark and join us for meals as we would like to have our meals together? Also as this is our first suite what is costumary tip for butler which we may not use that often, as well as concierge? Do service charges of $15.95 cover these tips or not? Thanks for info!

We are sailing on the Gem 4/11 and received an Upsell we couldn't resist. :) We took it but our friends traveling with us could not get Upsell as all rooms were sold out except haven which was still to pricey. We were in mini suite and took Upsell to 2br family suite. As suite guests we get priority embarkation and we can use cagneys for breakfast and lunch, but will our friends be able to join us to embark and join us for meals as we would like to have our meals together? Also as this is our first suite what is costumary tip for butler which we may not use that often, as well as concierge? Do service charges of $15.95 cover these tips or not? Thanks for info!

They will probably let them embark with you but they will not let them use Cagneys for breakfast/lunch.

As your friends are not in a suite in the only way you will be able to eat breakfast and lunch with them is if you eat in the main dining room with them. Only suites really are permitted to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. Your Dsc does not cover the Butler and Concierge. Most people will tip $10 per person per day for the Butler and five dollars per person per day for the Concierge. Depending on how much you would use them you would go up a little or down a little.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

The butler and concierge are not included in the daily gratuity. You should tip them based on the services you have them provide.

Your friends will not be able to take advantage of the embarkation reserved for Suite guests and above, however I don't know what the rules are on Cagneys for breakfast and lunch.

Enjoy your trip.

I did not use the butler, I told him I do not want any snacks in my cabin. I also felt no need to tip for a service I didn't use. The butler brings snacks at 3 PM. Other then that there's nothing I could think of to use them for. If you don't use the concierge don't feel compelled tip. I found the service on the Jewel lacking on the whole. I used cash to tip for all 3 meals and the cabin steward and removed the outrageous $15.95 PP PD . The service improved greatly on day 2 when I used cash. Since you eat in the specialty restaurant for breakfast and lunch you will encounter only 2 maybe 3 servers and they will remember your cash tip.

Edited by cruzsnooze

This is very much YMMV, I can only give you my experience.

On POA last November we stayed in 12006 (top suite on the ship), my brother and his family stayed in a penthouse suite. My parents stayed in a regular balcony room, as did my other brother and his wife. All in all, 8 people staying in suites (4 adults, 4 kids), and 4 adults not in suites.

I was told by pre-concierge that anyone not in a suite could not board with us, so we didn't try.

Once on board the butler came to show us the suite (awesome suite by the way, would book it again in a heartbeat!). Anyway, I asked him about eating with our whole family in Cagneys for breakfast/lunch. He said he'd let me know. About two hours later he came back and said he spoke to the manager in Cagneys and we were all set. As long as someone from a suite was there we could have my parents and non-suite brother/wife eat with us for breakfast or lunch. Sure enough, we did this multiple times with no issue whatsoever.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!