May 1st - General Strike?

bunnicooki

Hey guys!

First time traveling in Europe and we plan on training (Italo) from Venice to Rome on May 1st which we know is a holiday. I know lots of inaugural Vista passengers will be going Venice to Trieste that day too. Anyhow, I've been checking cgsse.it and just noticed that there is a "general" strike shown for May 1st for the Nation.

http://www.cgsse.it/web/guest/scioperi-generali

Can anyone help me interpret the Italian and let me know if I should be considering alternate transportation arrangements that weekend or if a "general" strike is different than a transportation or rail strike.

Thanks so much if you can help!

R

I understand that many things will be closed for the holiday and we're fine with that. My question is whether or not with a 'general strike' the train tickets we've purchased for 5/1 on Italo Treno from Venice to Rome will still be running. I've read that strikes will be posted well in advance, I just wasn't sure what a 'general strike' included so I was hoping maybe someone here with more knowledge could help clarify for me.

Thanks!!

Thanks sooo much euro cruiser! I'll keep my eyes open there too :)

Any idea what the .pdf in the general strike info on cgsse.it says? It looks like it was dated 4/7 which is just a couple of days ago.

Sorry for the questions just trying to make sure we can adjust our plans if need be well in advance.

It's hard enough reading legalize in my native language so it's doubly difficult in Italian but as I understand it, the document seems to list all of the legislation that makes it illegal to strike on a national holiday. In other words, no national strike on Labor Day.

Actually, the entire concept seems a little silly on the surface. Why would you call a strike on a day when almost everyone already has the day off?

A general strike of public and private sectors is just that - everybody on strike.

However the law provides for a "periodo di franchigia sciopero" where a given sector is forbidden to strike. Apparently, no public transportation sector can strike from April 24 to May 2. So even if the rest of Italy is on strike, those sectors cannot do so.

Here are the regulations for trains:

http://www.cgsse.it/static/discipline/Accordi/Trasporto_ferroviario.pdf

Section 3.5 forbids strikes from:

- december 18 to January 7;

- Thursday before easter to the following Thursday;

- April 24 to May 2;

- June 17 to July 4;

- July 27 to Sept 3;

- Oct 30 to Nov 5;

- from the 3rd day before elections to the 3rd day after

The same dates apply to air and sea transport, to road and traffic workers and to gas and fuel stations.

Also, a 10 day notice is required before the effective day of a strike.

Edited by marazul

It is not a general strike?

The designation "general" does not mean this. 1st May is labour day in Italy, it is a national holiday.

My understanding of national holidays is that some things will be open and some wont, you will need to check websites of where you want to go.

Transport would probably be more like a Sunday timetable.

Definitely no strike!