Uber in Europe?

My sister just returned from Budapest, Prague and Munich and said she used Uber everywhere. I didn't realize Uber was in Europe! Does anyone know if Uber is in Barcelona, or other ports in Europe? (Rome, Marseille, St. Tropez, Monaco, Ibiza, or elsewhere?) I'm going to also post this on the Spain and France boards.

I wonder how their prices compare to cabs? Or if we get stuck and need transportation back to the ship in one of these ports? Or just to get around if we don't have an excursion booked like in St. Tropez or Ibiza and we want to go to one of the nicer beaches?

Anyone have experience using Uber in the Med?

My sister just returned from Budapest, Prague and Munich and said she used Uber everywhere. I didn't realize Uber was in Europe! Does anyone know if Uber is in Barcelona, or other ports in Europe? (Rome, Marseille, St. Tropez, Monaco, Ibiza, or elsewhere?) I'm going to also post this on the Spain and France boards.

I wonder how their prices compare to cabs? Or if we get stuck and need transportation back to the ship in one of these ports? Or just to get around if we don't have an excursion booked like in St. Tropez or Ibiza and we want to go to one of the nicer beaches?

Anyone have experience using Uber in the Med?

Uber is not in Barcelona - Spain banned them, as many countries/cities have done or tried to do, there are still occasional protests occurring in cities where it is operating (Paris, London) but they are there. Your sister was fortunate to be in cities where there was Uber, sounds like it helped out on her trip.

Uber is not in St. Tropez and wouldn't be in Ibiza (it's part of Spain) but you can still have a great experience, there are many options depending upon what your preferences are. Don't forget to check out our France board for more St. Tropez tour/beach help. FYI, Uber.com lists their current locations - they are in Marseille and Nice if you are stopping there on your cruise. :)

Uber is in Europe and you can find the cities it operates in on their web site - http://www.uber.com/cities/ and using the "Get a fare esitmate" you can see how much it will cost in comparison to a cab.

For cruisers, the likely cities for it be used -

- Amsterdam

- Athens

- Copenhagen

- Dublin

- Edinburgh

- Florence

- Genoa

- Gothenburg

- Istanbul

- Lisbon

- London

- Marseille

- Nice and Cannes

- Porto

- Rome

- Stockholm

UBER operates by specific rules in each of the cities where they are allowed to work and in most cases it is not an US model. They back in Spain now but its essentially limo driver and not independent operator like in the US. So I think better answer to this question is whether UBER or some other alternative is beneficial to a taxi in any given city. To answer it it properly one needs to research local taxi prices and conclude accordingly. For example, in Rome their prices are higher than taxis (60 vs 48 for set fare from FCO to center). If I was to generalize taxi fares in Spain and Portugal are low as compared to France, UK or Scandinavia.

My experience with Uber has always been positive, and they have always been cheaper than a taxi.

Is this based on your experience in Europe? Specifically in the cruise ship destinations?

This link shows where it operates https://www.uber.com/cities/

In Spain its back in Madrid but not in Barcelona. For Madrid I quickly checked estimate from airport to a central address. UBER shows 30-40€, licenced taxi fare is set at 30€ flat by city council. Another check from Reina Sofia museum to hotel that I stayed last time shows 5-8 € for UBER and I paid 8 € for taxi. So it all depends.

Is this based on your experience in Europe? Specifically in the cruise ship destinations?

Yes.

For example when I used an Uber from Nice airport to my hotel in the centre of town, the receptionist couldn't believe that I had only paid €16. The airport bus would have cost €12 (€6 each) and a taxi is a fixed €35 fare.

• 1 month later...