steel bands

jopal

We haven't been on the Sunshine since Halloween so don't know about now. They only had a DJ playing music on the Lido deck and not all the music is Caribbean music- Dollar Wine Song type, etc.

But I thought I read somewhere Carnival was brining back duos that play steel drum type music. Hope so as we are cruising on the Sunshine, B2B, again next fall. (Had to cancel a Sunshine cruise in January when my husband was having unexpected open heart surgery.)

WE are cruise-a-holics so am sure we'll sail again before next fall- maybe on our favorite ship, the Sunshine, hopefully with a band on the Lido deck.

Make sure you go to the Lido deck early- before 9am- on last port day. There will be at least 1,000 towel animals ALL OVER the deck by the pool. Every room steward must make at least 5 towel animals. All the chaises, chairs, benches, top of both bars etc. are taken up by them - and watch out you don't trip on them! Take your camera as they start disappearing before 9am!

I haven't seen a steel band on Carnival since 2011, and there def wasn't one on our August sailing on the Pride.

Alas that is the biggest thing I miss from early cruising! I still remember cruising when I was in HS... and I loved nothing more than the bands who let me play with them!! Yes, my HS had a steel drum band I was part of and it was amazing!!

Unfortunately I think they are mostly a thing of the past anymore as well, its not like there is a huge demand for them, and they are a lot harder to play than one things to learn (and really expensive).

And... since next month my kids are switching back to my old school district, time to see if they even still DO have the steel drum band there, cause my DS won't have a choice IMO! :p