New York must do! w/toddler 2yr

shygirl

We will arrive Jan 1/2006 in New York city 12pm and are staying at Double Tree Guest suites in Time Square. Our cruise leaves the following day, so we have some time to explore. What would you do if you have 2 boys ages 2 and 8. Assuming it will be cold, what will you see and do(including restaurants)?

Sara

Hi Sara,

We love the city, but my "kids" are 19 & 21, we usually go at least once a year to shop till we drop and eat till we can't. If I had younger ones, I would check to see what plays/shows are running, go to FAO Schwartz, watch the skaters at Rockefeller Center, take a walk down 5th Ave and enjoy the holiday window displays, I would think the city would still be festive from the holidays. A horsedrawn carriage ride through the park would be fun. There's always the Empire State Building. You can walk to do any of these things from where you're staying. I'm almost positive there is a Children's Museum. The hotel will surely have some good ideas for you, too.

Our favorite restaurant in NYC is Campagnola, family owned italian, on 1st and 73rd ish. Serendipity is fun, great fries and dessert, go for lunch as it's pretty small and there can be quite a wait at dinner. You would need to take a taxi to either one.

Your New Year is going to be off to a great start!!

Enjoy!!

Doubtful the two year old will be able to get into any Broadway shows and if he can, you will have to pay full price for his ticket. The Lion King maybe?

I highly suggest the American Museum of Natural History (www.AMNH.org and they have the best kids programs in the city), the Children's Museum of Manhattan (www.CMoM.org) , and the Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum (www.IntrepidMuseum.org Features aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, the destroyer USS Edson, submarine USS Growler and over 25 aircraft).

Things to do:

Empire State Building

FAO Schwartz

Christmans Tree at Rock Center

Chelsea Piers (an indoor amusement park of sorts... expensive!)

Restaurants:

If you don't care so much about cuisine...

Mars2112

Jeckel and Hyde

...neither of these will win and culinary awards, but they're 'theme' restaurants that will keep the kids occupied

Other Restaurant Recos:

John's Pizza - inexpensive dinner, pretty good pizza, in a nice setting (a converted church)... ~44th St and Eighth Ave

Chinatown - some excellent food and your kids might be interested in it (lots of ducks hanging in the restaurant windows)... very inexpensive

Spend the day in the Times Square area - Toys R Us is a big hit with the little ones ( a full sized dinosaur, a ferris wheel) and they can actually come away with a toy that won't break the bank. There is a space theme restaurant called Mars 2112 on Broadway that caters to kids - it's a little pricey but most of the chain restaurants are outrageously priced too.

ShyGirl,

I agree with Blue Herons recommendations for activities and I agree with staying away from the "themed tourist" restaurants.

For eating with children I recommend:

Walking through Chinatown. Mott Street is filled with hundreds of inexpensive child friendly places.

Little Italy - Mullberry Street is the main street and like Chinatown, filled with many, many choices that are appropriate for families.

Or, eat in Chinatown and then walk to Little Italy for dessert. They're very close by one another.

Close to your hotel is Ruby Foo's which is a multi-asian restaurant. It's big and popular and the food is good.

Virgils BBQ is also not far from your hotel. Very popular.

America on 18th and 5th is very kid friendly and serves American food.

EJ's Luncheonette (warning - long lines for weekend brunch)

CowGirl Hall of Fame - mac 'n cheese for the kids, margarita's for parents!

Metropolitan Cafe - E. 51st STreet. Have crayons for the kids. Big time restaurant for the stroller set. American food.

Patsy's Pizza - there's a few around the city.

I disagree with taking a 2 year old to Campagnola. That place is filled with the designer handbag and suit set and don't think the other diners will appreciate it. Nor will you appreciate paying about $200. to watch others annoyed with him.

Weather in January is unpredictable. Could be sunny and "warm" in the 40's and lovely to walk around or could be 17 and just awful. If it's nice, take then to Central Park - the zoo, the fountain, the skating rink & the playground.

Enjoy!

Jane

Archived