Character Breakfast?? Gone the way of the Dodo??

ajoneen

I have seen a few posts around the web stating that the character breakfasts are not happening any longer. Any recent cruisers want to weight in on this?

:confused::confused::confused:

That was one of the highlights of my cruise 10 years ago and was hoping to share the experience with my grandkids.

TIA

I have seen a few posts around the web stating that the character breakfasts are not happening any longer. Any recent cruisers want to weight in on this?

:confused::confused::confused:

That was one of the highlights of my cruise 10 years ago and was hoping to share the experience with my grandkids.

TIA

The Character Breakfast (formerly only available on Magic & Wonder cruises of 7 nights and longer with at least 3 sea days) isn't around any longer.

There is a character breakfast on cruises of 7 nights and longer (any ship), but it's a ticketed (free) event now. You pick up the tickets once you board the ship (location/time for ticket distribution is in the Navigator you get in the terminal). This allows DCL to more efficiently staff the meal, as under the old way, the dining room was (most times we've seen) only about 1/2 full or less. Now they can fill the tables (in a rotation sequence) and use the whole space.

Another note, the characters are now Disney Jr. characters plus Mickey. Not the Fab 5 as it used to be.

The Character Breakfast (formerly only available on Magic & Wonder cruises of 7 nights and longer with at least 3 sea days) isn't around any longer.

There is a character breakfast on cruises of 7 nights and longer (any ship), but it's a ticketed (free) event now.

OK- I had to read that a few times to get your reference.

So there IS an opportunity for A breakfast with the characters but the style is more regimented. Do the characters still wander around and visit with your table? Or it's a line up and wait event??

And Concierge can help get tickets??

Edited by ajoneen

So there IS an opportunity for A breakfast with the characters but the style is more regimented. Do the characters still wander around and visit with your table? Or it's a line up and wait event??

Yes, the characters still travel the room, visiting the tables. Very quick and not a lot of interaction. Again, this is the Disney Jr. characters plus Mickey.

Yes, Concierge can get your tickets for you.

Yes, concierge can give you tickets.

It is a sit down breakfast with characters that come to the table for a VERY quick interaction--not nearly as long or as much fun as in the parks. The characters are the ones from the Disney,Jr. TV show.

They've has a lot of issues with the character breakfasts on the ship because it is such a large room and everyone is seated at once--hard for the characters to get around, etc. Because it was not always a great event, it became one that people tended to skip. Thus they had dining rooms with a full complement of staff and only half the guests showed up. The event now is geared much more toward toddlers and young kids although all ages are welcome. As Shmoo noted, the tickets allow them to know how many tables will be occupied and plan staff accordingly.

The Princess Gathering and character visit with Elsa and Anna are also free but tickets needed. There is a time on the tickets, which eliminates a lot of the "line up and wait" factor. Show up on time or a few minutes before your ticketed time and your wait will be 10 minutes or less. The concierge can get those tickets for you as well.

Edited by moki'smommy

I just got off the phone with shore side concierge. ONLY the Wonder has a guaranteed Character Breakfast- of any kind. Disney is only TESTING it on the Fantasy and Magic. No way to know if there will be one until arrival.

Im not a happy Mouseketeer

I just got off the phone with shore side concierge. ONLY the Wonder has a guaranteed Character Breakfast- of any kind. Disney is only TESTING it on the Fantasy and Magic. No way to know if there will be one until arrival.

IF this is correct, they have changed it again. It was established on the Magic about 2 years ago on cruises of 7 nights or longer with the tickets. It was supposedly a "done deal" that this was the current breakfast offering. At that time they were "testing" it on the Fantasy because the initial character breakfast on the Fantasy was a disaster (too many people, too little time, too little room for characters to move around). I haven't been on the Fantasy since then, but a "test" period of 2 years ago should surely have proved itself one way or the other by now.

However, things change on DCL literally from one cruise to the next, so maybe someone who cruised in the last month or so can help.

I don't know about shoreside Concierge, but I do know that most DCL telephone CMs don't really know all the answers, sadly.

The current (Disney Jr., ticketed event) breakfast has been available on the Fantasy since last March, seems to me a 1 year "test" is a little long. But I agree that things can change.

The original character breakfast did have a test period on the Fantasy when she was new, but it failed.

I realize that your only option now is shoreside concierge, but the "real" concierge team on board will know what is happening on your cruise. As Shmoo said, CMs on the phone are notorious for getting things wrong.

You are not going to change your cruise based on whether or not there is a character breakfast, right? If that is accurate, then as soon as you board, you will go to the concierge reception and meet with one of their team. Have your list of needs and wants with you and the concierge will set you up with tickets to everything as well as making any reservations that you haven't handled in advance.

What I can tell you for sure is that a little under 2 years ago, it existed on both the Magic and the Fantasy. Disney, Jr. with tickets.

ajoneen,

As above, take what is said by shoreside with a pinch of salt, and I would suggest calling back tomorrow and asking the same question. You may get another answer!

As your cruise is only 13 days away, IF they say the same no guarantee, that is legitimate as due to working hour directives, sicknesses that can spread very quickly and easily between Guests also can spread the same between CM's, so they wont guarantee it.

But if they just say it's a trial, I would push them harder for information on whether it is scheduled to happen at least.

At this point they can contact the ship Concierge or CD and ask.

As you say you've not been been on a DCL cruise for 10 years, are you also aware of many changes that have taken place since then?

Here are a few things I've read over on the DIS:

• "Secret" Deck 7 Aft has been removed
  • Bring as much booze as you wish has been recinded. Will link to the new policy afterwards.
  • Live band during Sailaway

They do however now have more comfortable beds, and most of the areas have been updated.

New alcohol policy link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2254436

ex techie

As above, take what is said by shoreside with a pinch of salt, and I would suggest calling back tomorrow and asking the same question. You may get another answer!...

At this point they can contact the ship Concierge or CD and ask. :ex techie

I only called after I emailed and got same answer, I only emailed because a fellow concierge pass on my sailing got the same answer on the phone this morning.

On the phone I did push her to check with on board concierge and she said that would be unnecessary because she had the correct information.

[*]"Secret" Deck 7 Aft has been removed :ex techie

I remember fondly that little deck my cabin was not far away. I will have to do a little search to see what happened.

I know right now you feel a bit cheated if you don't get a character breakfast but I can honestly say, they are not a good experience. Disney obviously wants to do them so is trying to make adjustments but they are in no way comparable to what you get in the parks. It is basically a photo op and not good breakfast food either. You are not missing anything, which is what a lot of guests figured out and why they stopped coming.

You would do much better just finding the characters on the deck for pictures.

I only called after I emailed and got same answer, I only emailed because a fellow concierge pass on my sailing got the same answer on the phone this morning.

On the phone I did push her to check with on board concierge and she said that would be unnecessary because she had the correct information.

I remember fondly that little deck my cabin was not far away. I will have to do a little search to see what happened.

I would ignore her request to believe her and directly say you wish for her to contact the Concierge on the ship to ask for a definite answer and then forward that email to you with the address redacted for obvious reasons.

Deck 7 Aft was used to fulfil additional mechanical and technical equipment brought aboard.

It has been said that an additional (not only) back up generator set was added to provide more services in the event of one of the two engine rooms becoming incapacitated, and I also think possible to accommodate some water treatment and pump systems for the AquaDunk.

Whilst it was an amazing "secret" deck and very few knew or used it, it was underutilized as a space on the ship. It was great for onboard vowel renewals though.

ex techie

I know right now you feel a bit cheated if you don't get a character breakfast but I can honestly say, they are not a good experience. Disney obviously wants to do them so is trying to make adjustments but they are in no way comparable to what you get in the parks. It is basically a photo op and not good breakfast food either. You are not missing anything, which is what a lot of guests figured out and why they stopped coming.

Was a Character breakfast ever advertized by DCL as being on their ships in recent or booking memory?

ex techie

100% agree. It wasn't that great.

We had a character breakfast on my March cruise on Fantasy. Shoreside concierge swore that only the Wonder had a character breakfast and there was nothing on the Fantasy. When we got onboard the concierge asked if we were interested in going to the breakfast. It's good if you have little kids but if they don't have it on your sailing, you're really not missing anything. All the Jr. characters can be seen at other times during the trip. IMO, the breakfast is pretty bad and thrown at you pretty quickly to get you in and out for the next group.

100% agree. It wasn't that great.

I agree. The one on the Fantasy in March was really rushed as far as the characters, excluded Sofia, and the service was awful. They sat my daughter and I with a family of 4 and then ignored us, so the timing was off. I had to ask for coffee.

Did I miss you saying which ship you are in and when? The fantasy is still showing the breakfast in their navigators for cruises as recently as Marxh 12th or something like that. I cruised January 30th and we had a breakfast. Finally I expect to have one in May when we cruise again. If we don't it won't be the end of the world but my almost 3 year old loves it.

We had a great time at ours a few years ago! The characters were fun and interactive. We didn't feel rushed or bad food, Of course, I can't compare to the parks.

Sounds like it's changed. 😢

Who are the Disney Jr characters? The only two I know I know are Jake & Sopia.

We had a great time at ours a few years ago! The characters were fun and interactive. We didn't feel rushed or bad food, Of course, I can't compare to the parks.

Sounds like it's changed. 😢

Who are the Disney Jr characters? The only two I know I know are Jake & Sopia.

Jake, Sophia, and Doc, along with Mickey are the only characters I've seen reported.