future voyage choice

DadTheBigKid

Hi all,

we take our first crossing May 17th from NY on QM2. We have never done a cruise either before.

To say we are excited is an understatement and we are in a sheltered balcony cabin.

Already we are considering what next!!

I do not like the idea of getting off a ship every other day for some reason and I may be wrong in having this opinion having never tried it.

I am 54 and my Wife is 47. Brittania balcony is , in our opinion at the moment, pushing the ship out ( see what I did there!).

Eventually then my question.

What other cruise / crossings would you recommend in your collective vast experience please?

The idea of Sun is nice but not on a boat with large pools and log flumes, we have analysed this opinion and its not snobbery its that we have had three children and done those type of holidays and are now in a different demographic category. Good luck to younger family's who would find this holiday perfect for them and we would have done the same going back 10 - 12 years.

I think I have painted enough of a picture for your collective experience.

We are even thinking of looking at this seriously when on board and looking at other cabins.

Thank you in advance

We like a balance between sea days and ports. Last year, we went a cruise on P & O's Ventura. That won't happen again. In all honesty, we just went to visit my daughter who was working aboard.

We've been on about a dozen trips around the Med, mostly on QV. We also did two on QE2, but that's another story. Most Med cruises are a 50/50 split (roughly), so it's just a matter of picking what suits you, when you consider timing and areas to visit.

The cabin choice is another minefield, and it's really down to how much you want to spend. Her indoors will only travel Queens Grill, so that limits us. Don't ever try it or you'll get completely hooked. Most expensive mistake I ever made, but we still go back a couple of times a year.

Enjoy your crossing & happy sailing for the future.

Stewart

I do not like the idea of getting off a ship every other day for some reason and I may be wrong in having this opinion having never tried it

If you want a relaxing cruise, then I suggest Norway. Some ports such as Stavanger and Flam, you can just step off and back on the ship as much as you want as the quayside is right next to the shops and attractions.

If being in a different country every day takes your fancy, then try the Baltic or the Med which could include around 7 or 8 countries in 14/15 days.

We like a balance between sea days and ports. Last year, we went a cruise on P & O's Ventura. That won't happen again. In all honesty, we just went to visit my daughter who was working aboard.

We've been on about a dozen trips around the Med, mostly on QV. We also did two on QE2, but that's another story. Most Med cruises are a 50/50 split (roughly), so it's just a matter of picking what suits you, when you consider timing and areas to visit.

The cabin choice is another minefield, and it's really down to how much you want to spend. Her indoors will only travel Queens Grill, so that limits us. Don't ever try it or you'll get completely hooked. Most expensive mistake I ever made, but we still go back a couple of times a year.

Enjoy your crossing & happy sailing for the future.

Stewart

Thank you Stewart.

Tat seems to be what we have seen from a quick search. I am sure this will not be our last ship holiday.

Just have to save hard :)

If you want a relaxing cruise, then I suggest Norway. Some ports such as Stavanger and Flam, you can just step off and back on the ship as much as you want as the quayside is right next to the shops and attractions.

If being in a different country every day takes your fancy, then try the Baltic or the Med which could include around 7 or 8 countries in 14/15 days.

Thank you Ray66

Had not thought of Norway or Baltics.

But we have now :)

If you have the time available and don't mind flying, a leg of the world voyage is a good bet for a mixture of sea days and port days. I've done three segments over the years each on a different route and found them to be very enjoyable.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge

If you have the time available and don't mind flying, a leg of the world voyage is a good bet for a mixture of sea days and port days. I've done three segments over the years each on a different route and found them to be very enjoyable.

M-AR

That sounds a very interesting idea, I'll look at that .

Thank you

Hi DadTheBigKid,

In the spring and in the autumn, there are ships that re-position between the US and various ports in Europe. The prices can be amazingly inexpensive and ports are few… We had a nice crossing on Celebrity a couple years ago for less than $800 US

Segments of a World Cruise, as Mid-Atlantic Ridge mentioned, are fabulous, but involve more time and expense.

I think you will be very happy in the world of ship life!

Jimmybean

Hi DadTheBigKid,

In the spring and in the autumn, there are ships that re-position between the US and various ports in Europe. The prices can be amazingly inexpensive and ports are few… We had a nice crossing on Celebrity a couple years ago for less than $800 US

Segments of a World Cruise, as Mid-Atlantic Ridge mentioned, are fabulous, but involve more time and expense.

I think you will be very happy in the world of ship life!

Jimmybean

Thank you Jimmybean another great option. I am convinced we will enjoy ship life, it is just working out the cash flow to match :confused:

Hi Dadthebigkid,

Welcome to the world of cruising! You will be hooked!

We started cruising about 7 years ago when I was 48. Unfortunately we started with Cunard. We had similar reasons to yours - no big slides etc. We are totally hooked and totally spoiled for any other line! We just love the Cunard ships, the formality, the on board activities, the cabins, the food, everything about Cunard. We have even started ballroom dancing classes to join in in the Queens Room each evening. I do everything I can to make sure we can afford a cruise each year. Not easy as I am in a very low paid job.

Like you, we prefer trips with lots of sea days and relatively few ports. We are doing a 'Greek islands' cruise in October (only one Greek island involved!). 17 nights but only 7 ports. It is cheaper going in October but still plenty warm enough. However, there will still be port days in a row one after the other. It just can't really be avoided sometimes.

We don't fly so are limited to Southampton round trips but have had some fabulous cruises. As others have said, Norway has to be one of the top places to see by ship. The Baltic cruises are great but hard work as they are lots of ports, very few sea days. The ports are fantastic but you get tired. Iceland was one of our top cruises as it was so different but again, quite port intensive. We still love the med as you get several sea days getting there and back each time plus interesting ports when you get there.

As for cabin choice, we usually book the cheapest obstructed balcony. The most obstruction is usually a small bit of machinery somewhere and a large orange boat if you look straight down. Never tick 'no upgrade' - we have been lucky several times and been upgraded to higher grade balconies. We have also had an outside view cabin. These are good cabins and would certainly book one again but if it is going to be warm I prefer a balcony.

Enjoy your cruise and start saving up!!!!

We are booking QM2 to Norway in July next year. We are transferring from a Venice cruise this October, because we want to go to the Caribbean on a land holiday later this year instead.

The Fjords are staggeringly beautiful and we cope with the consecutive port days by not getting off if we have been before, and aren't that particular about seeing the port again. For me, and to a lesser extent my husband, the ports are of secondary importance to the cruise (voyage) itself!

Hi Dadthebigkid,

Welcome to the world of cruising! You will be hooked!

We started cruising about 7 years ago when I was 48. Unfortunately we started with Cunard. We had similar reasons to yours - no big slides etc. We are totally hooked and totally spoiled for any other line! We just love the Cunard ships, the formality, the on board activities, the cabins, the food, everything about Cunard. We have even started ballroom dancing classes to join in in the Queens Room each evening. I do everything I can to make sure we can afford a cruise each year. Not easy as I am in a very low paid job.

Like you, we prefer trips with lots of sea days and relatively few ports. We are doing a 'Greek islands' cruise in October (only one Greek island involved!). 17 nights but only 7 ports. It is cheaper going in October but still plenty warm enough. However, there will still be port days in a row one after the other. It just can't really be avoided sometimes.

We don't fly so are limited to Southampton round trips but have had some fabulous cruises. As others have said, Norway has to be one of the top places to see by ship. The Baltic cruises are great but hard work as they are lots of ports, very few sea days. The ports are fantastic but you get tired. Iceland was one of our top cruises as it was so different but again, quite port intensive. We still love the med as you get several sea days getting there and back each time plus interesting ports when you get there.

As for cabin choice, we usually book the cheapest obstructed balcony. The most obstruction is usually a small bit of machinery somewhere and a large orange boat if you look straight down. Never tick 'no upgrade' - we have been lucky several times and been upgraded to higher grade balconies. We have also had an outside view cabin. These are good cabins and would certainly book one again but if it is going to be warm I prefer a balcony.

Enjoy your cruise and start saving up!!!!

Brilliant reply

Some good ideas.

Will let you know how we get on, I am almost certain it's cruise, cruise , cruise after this. In my youth I was I to New Wave and have never been a fan of accepted authority but your comments about dance lessons made me smile, that's exactly what we have been thinking... Who would have thought it 😀

We are booking QM2 to Norway in July next year. We are transferring from a Venice cruise this October, because we want to go to the Caribbean on a land holiday later this year instead.

The Fjords are staggeringly beautiful and we cope with the consecutive port days by not getting off if we have been before, and aren't that particular about seeing the port again. For me, and to a lesser extent my husband, the ports are of secondary importance to the cruise (voyage) itself!

Thank you

We did think about not visiting all ports.

Two questions really,

Is there enough time to visit areas around ports and how long should you leave for embarkation?

Is there anything goi g on in the ship on port days?

The ship is especially wonderful on a port day, much quieter and you feel as if you almost have it to yourself. The bars and restaurants are open, the spa is open, sometimes a film is showing, but generally there is a bit less going on. We love it though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about enough time to visit areas around tge ports. Typically, the port call is around 8-9 am ish until 4-5 pm ish though it can be less - or more. At the Fjords, the towns and villages are lovely to walk around for a while, the air is so clean and the scenery so incredibly beautiful, some of the excursions are nearer than others. We like to be back on board at least an hour before sailing time, but are normally back well before then.

The ship is especially wonderful on a port day, much quieter and you feel as if you almost have it to yourself. The bars and restaurants are open, the spa is open, sometimes a film is showing, but generally there is a bit less going on. We love it though.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about enough time to visit areas around tge ports. Typically, the port call is around 8-9 am ish until 4-5 pm ish though it can be less - or more. At the Fjords, the towns and villages are lovely to walk around for a while, the air is so clean and the scenery so incredibly beautiful, some of the excursions are nearer than others. We like to be back on board at least an hour before sailing time, but are normally back well before then.

Thank you Gill

More good information, is it normal to spend increasing amounts of time on forums and websites as your crossing gets nearer!!! 😀😀😀

Oh YES YES YES! And thereafter!

I discovered a cruising forum - not this one - nit long after our very first cruise in 1997, and have been using them, in their various guises ever since. And spend FAR too long on them!

Good luck.

Oh YES YES YES! And thereafter!

I discovered a cruising forum - not this one - nit long after our very first cruise in 1997, and have been using them, in their various guises ever since. And spend FAR too long on them!

Good luck.

Pheww thanks Gill , thought it was just me :)

Pheww thanks Gill , thought it was just me :)

Me too!

And if you had told me pre our cruising days that we would ever have gone to ballroom dancing classes I would have laughed you off the planet! Yet there we are. And we really enjoy it too!

Me too!

And if you had told me pre our cruising days that we would ever have gone to ballroom dancing classes I would have laughed you off the planet! Yet there we are. And we really enjoy it too!

Well Camgirl we have a lot in common as 1 year ago we had never considered cruising. 6 months ago I had never considered ball room dancing!

Worried now that we have built this up soooo much that it may not be what we expected!!

I think really though that will not be the case :)