Thank goodness X doesn't....

Danno

Danno,

You know I respect you... but may I disagree...

For the last 2 years we sailed with Celebrity 2x, once with HAL and RCCL. EACH line had own pluses and minuses. I still love X the best but:

1) The only drunks I've seen on the cruise were on Century.

2) The oldest PAX was on Mercury. We actually had 3 wheelchairs next to our cabin... I'd say median age was around 75. I usually don't mind the age but most of them were older than my grandparents.

3) I seriously didn't hear any loud Bingo announcements on HAL (Zuiderdam) and we had experience very similar overall to X's. It was during the summer, so median age was around 35-40.

4) RCCL Splendor was beautiful ship and had great solarium pool open 24 hours in any weather, which we missed on Mercury. (Mercury's solarium pool was the size of our inside cabin ;) )

4) Carnival??? Don't know much about this line , but alredy prepared to have great vacation. :D

I know...I'm still a bit embarassed about that....I thought we agreed not to meantion that again :eek: .

Hahahaha...

But I seriously only saw 3 drunks on all 4 cruises combined... and that was during Island Night on Century.

(Well... getting drunk in own cabin doesn't count, right ;) )

Since we just booked our first X cruise, I started reading the threads over here. The overall impression I am getting of the posters are that X cruisers somehow think they are better then cruisers on other lines. This thread is refreshing to see some regulars questioning the bashing and superiority complex some posters have about X.

We booked X because of the reputation of being a more refined, quiet, relaxing ship. But refined is not being snotty. Some posters over here need to remember the Thumper Rule - If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all.

Is this what you would consider saying something nice?

Danno,

The only drunks I've seen on the cruise were on Century.

OK, if you want to see drunks, try a three or four night cruise from Port Canaveral on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas. You know it is going to be a bad cruise when every other carryon is a wheeled cooler. All of the young adults drunk by sailaway.

I am really surprised by the amount of flak that Danno is getting from his original post. More so, I am surprised about the lack of defense that Danno has gotten. Celebrity is sliding in its service but it is still ahead of the other cruise lines.

Our TA sponsored a trip to a Carnival ship for a tour and lunch between sailings. Wow, waiters that can stand on a pedestal and mime a Frank Sinatra record. Give me someone who can explain the sauces that are being presented with the meal instead of a lip syncher. How else could I explain this except saying it was a Carnival waiter and not a Celebrity waiter.

Go Danno!

I am really surprised by the amount of flak that Danno is getting from his original post. More so, I am surprised about the lack of defense that Danno has gotten. Celebrity is sliding in its service but it is still ahead of the other cruise lines.

Our TA sponsored a trip to a Carnival ship for a tour and lunch between sailings. Wow, waiters that can stand on a pedestal and mime a Frank Sinatra record. Give me someone who can explain the sauces that are being presented with the meal instead of a lip syncher. How else could I explain this except saying it was a Carnival waiter and not a Celebrity waiter.

Go Danno!

Carnival, yes even the new ships, are still party ships for those that prefer to wear jeans and ballcaps in the dining room, no shirts when walking through the main lobby, and pajamas - yes, pajamas - to the lido for breakfast. I really, really disliked the overall lack of class I found on Glory.

The service in the dining room was of a low standard and the food not much better. On my very recent Mercury cruise, the food was very good, served piping hot and very obviously made to order, as I ordered fish prepared without sauces each evening, a request my waiter accomodated with a smile. Singing and dancing waiters do not enhance my cruise experience, but attention to detail and consistently good service certainly do.

I have always found Danno's post to be accurate and not condescending. But then again, I have been accused of far worse on these boards!

CG

Tell anyone, anything they don't want to hear, and you will be labeled a snob, condesending, arrogant...I'm used to it...I've never aspired to politics.

What I don't care for, is the idea that I'm somehow a "cheerleader" for this cruise line....people who have been here a while know that I have been very vocal about things I find not to my (IMHO), liking. Remember the CC fees, the ugly paint on the M class, fee for dining restaurants, the RCI buy out, sale of Horizon, water vendors in dining areas, lousy TV, crappy buns at the grill, non-enforcement of rules,etc, etc...

I am just as vocal about things I like. Fair is fair...this line does many things, very well.

What I really don't care for are people who drop in here, book their first cruise on X, then preach to me about how things on this line aren't special, the people who are devoted to this line are just shallow snobs, and because we prefer a quieter, traditional cruise experience, and that somehow makes us NOT NICE people (note the pickle reference in an earlier post).

I started with this line in it's first year, under Chandris, and have watched her grow, be sold, and struggle to find her identity...I tried another line and hated it...if you find it so important that I try other lines please send me the money. I can afford (time wise) a cruise each year, and taking a chance at having another 10 days of nasty pax and poor food to appease the folks who dropped in here for one cruise...I think not.

I will continue to state what I like, and don't like, about this line...if you don't care for my opinions, "get a life" (whatever that means).

I hope you continue to state what you like and dont like about this line. Making sweeping statements where you have no direct knowledge of others seems a bit disingenous and portrays you as an authority in an area where you are not. We can all read other board and posts from folks who have actually cruised those lines if we're interested in a comparison. Your passing along anecdotal evidence does nothing to inform folks.

Getting back to the mis-connect on this thread, I think the key complaint was not entirely in what you said but how you choose to phrase these posts. Coming at issues from a negative posture will undoubtedly bring a backlash. Perhaps your trying to be a dash more positive would help.

Last, trying to drag a dispute from this thread into others not only seems very small, it shows an attempt to pollute the boards. Your bad.

Coming at issues from a negative posture will undoubtedly bring a backlash. Perhaps your trying to be a dash more positive would help.

How's this...

-I love the fact that a group of drunks from Carnival took over the beach we were on and drove everyone else off it...what a fun loving group!!

-I'm delighted with the idea of the pax on HAL abusing the staff. They are, after all "not from here" and are "just the help" anyway...not like they have feelings.

-Gotta love all those, never ending, BINGO announcements...they certainly have made my cruise a great, and memorable, experience...I love "Bingo Bob" a lot!!

-Boy I wish X would build a ship that was more like a floating shopping mall...with big wave pools, rock walls, ice rinks, cell phone links, tv's in every corner...all the things that make it better than the mall at home!!

I don't think I'm getting the gist of this yet...but I'll keep trying.

I don't think I'm getting the gist of this yet...but I'll keep trying.

Never mind. A dicsussion with you seems a lost cause. Happy sailing. I hope something really nice happens in your life today and that you see it as such.

Never mind. A dicsussion with you seems a lost cause. Happy sailing. I hope something really nice happens in your life today and that you see it as such.

A discussion that doesn't agree with you, "seems like a lost cause"...as far as my life...you have no idea how good my life is and how grateful I am for the things I have.

I also have no idea what this has to do with what I consider the good and bad aspects of cruising and cruise lines.

All the same...Happy sailing to you also...lets hope we each have a cruise that makes us happy.

Schplinky it seems to me that you are the one keeping this negativity going. While everyone else seems to move on and talk about the lines YOU are going after Danno in a personal way that I and I am sure many do not find amusing or interesting. Drop it Schplinky.

Amen, I'm sailing on Celebrity for the first time Nov. 28th. I hope it is not a bunch of stuffed shirts.:rolleyes:

I'll second that emotion. I, too, am sailing for the 1st time in 3 weeks and from the little I've read on these boards, I'm a bit concerned. Does everyone walk around in tiaras and their noses in the air?

Yeap, I wear mine all the time, even to bed!!!:rolleyes:

I'll second that emotion. I, too, am sailing for the 1st time in 3 weeks and from the little I've read on these boards, I'm a bit concerned. Does everyone walk around in tiaras and their noses in the air?

Not all the time. I just can't find the right tiara to go with my bathing suit.

It is black and white. Diamonds are too much for daytime wear. Perhaps pearls.

Any ideas?

celtic

Yup...in fact I'm sending my tiara out for pressing as we speak...do you starch a tiara??

That's because you've read a "little"...if you've investigated your cruise, you'll know that X offers a quieter, more traditional, cruise experience...that's what we X loyalists want in a cruise. I expect you'll not be disappointed. The attempt to paint all people who pursue a quieter, more subdued cruise as "snobs" is anything but accurate. Some of us just need a rest from the other 51 weeks of work.

Yup...in fact I'm sending my tiara out for pressing as we speak...do you starch a tiara??

That's because you've read a "little"...if you've investigated your cruise, you'll know that X offers a quieter, more traditional, cruise experience...that's what we X loyalists want in a cruise. I expect you'll not be disappointed. The attempt to paint all people who pursue a quieter, more subdued cruise as "snobs" is anything but accurate. Some of us just need a rest from the other 51 weeks of work.

Oh believe me, I've "investigated" my cruise. One reason I've stayed away from Celebrity through all of my cruises is for this very reason. I've spoken to many folks who have sailed Celebrity many times through our roll call and we've had a wonderful time discussing our cruise and even extoling the virtues of what Celebrity has to offer which is, as you say, "a quieter, more traditional, cruise experience.." I am actually looking forward to this cruise experience. But venturing over here to the Celebrity discussion boards shows a totally different side of "Celebrity cruisers" and it's not particularly flattering. While I don't like Carnival for the exact reasons you've implied I also wouldn't care for Celebrity if it meant that everyone on board was a stuffed shirt who can't have a good time unless they, and everyone around them is in a tux and sipping a martini with their pinky stuck out. JMO.

Tell anyone, anything they don't want to hear, and you will be labeled a snob, condesending, arrogant...I'm used to it...I've never aspired to politics.......

I am just as vocal about things I like.......

I will continue to state what I like, and don't like, about this line...if you don't care for my opinions, "get a life" .....

Isn't it great when people finally admit who and what they are, it's the first step of 12. I hope all will have a great time on any cruise or trip they take.

Just remember, the odds are very small that you'll have Danno at your evening table. Of course, then you can always change if he doesn't beat you to it.

Hey! I never hold my martini with my pinky sticking out. Might drop the glass doing that. What a waste of the good stuff that would be.

I don't quite understand why you are getting that impression of Celebrity.

Didn't you read my earlier description of the woman with the straws up her nose?

I never ran into hoity toitys on my Celebrity cruises. Don't worry so much.

You will love it.

celtic

I guess you might classify me as a X loyalist, my last 7 cruises have been on X, my previous 7 cruises have been on Princess, as is my next cruise in Dec. So I guess you can say that I am also a Princess loyalist. I am also sailing on RCCL next July, after which I am sure I will be a RCCl loyalist.

I enjoy quiet times, party times and all the in between tiimes, I like traditional and non traditional, I enjoy the company of fellow cc'ers, older folks, younger folks and yes even some children.

Am I a snob? sometimes, at other times I can be quite humble

Do I find a difference between X and Princess, yes but they are very subtle. there are things I like a little better on X, as well as things I like better on princess.

my point is i like cruising. We don't cruise in order to remember every little annoyance that can occur and usually does on every cruise we have been on.

My argument with you Dan, is that you come across as believing that X attracts a certain type of passenger that the other cruise lines don't. in my view X passengers by and large are the same ones that cruise on Princess, HAL,RCCL, NCl and other Mass market lines.

Having said all of the above, you certainly have the right to believe that X is the next best thing to sliced bread( I know you have been critical at times of them also) but reading between the lines of your many comments, you might have a better

cruise expierence sailing on Silver Seas or possibly your own sail boat.:D

Phil

...but reading between the lines of your many comments, you might have a better

cruise expierence sailing on Silver Seas or possibly your own sail boat.:D

Phil

Nothing "between the lines"...If I think it should be said, I'll say it...and I'll take the hit when others disagree.

I will continue to sail X until such time as I have a cruise that makes me think I should leave...but, there is no ship like your own ship, and seeing her on her cradle is very, very sad :(. No boat looks happy, on the hard.

Thank goodness celebrity doen't have.......waiters greeting you on board with fancy cocktails you get charged for!

......Room stewards more interested in turning your towels into sculptures than cleaning your bathroom

Angie and Tony

Awwww....we'll miss that. We loved hearing them say....'Pina coladas...cool and refreshing' We joke about it all the time

Nothing "between the lines"...If I think it should be said, I'll say it...and I'll take the hit when others disagree.

I will continue to sail X until such time as I have a cruise that makes me think I should leave...but, there is no ship like your own ship, and seeing her on her cradle is very, very sad :(. No boat looks happy, on the hard.

I can identify, I am also a boat owner, and your right, very sad.:(

Phil

Archived